Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Wikiposts

Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Onthemove2008 will become famous soon enoughOnthemove2008 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by elfman
exactly what are you saying is a fact?

According to the British Crime Survey, knife-enabled crime (any crime involving a knife) over the past decade has remained stable at around 6-7% of all crime, comprising 30% of all homicides.

In fact, the most recent crime survey by the Metropolitan police showed that knife crime has actually dropped by 15.7% over the past two years, from 12,122 to 10,220 incidents

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/may/13/ukcrime.boris

From the same article

" Related to this is the increased number of young people arming themselves with knives. The YJB survey reported a 12% increase in the number of teenagers carrying knives since 2002, with the proportion of girls carrying knives rising sharply in recent years, from 15% in 2004 to 21% in 2005."

I think you will find that those stats are just the one's that make it to court..... there are 1000's that dont, most who think the U.K is great should step out side of there ivory towers and come into the council estates
Old Jun 6th 2008, 11:27 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Onthemove2008
I think you will find that those stats are just the one's that make it to court..... there are 1000's that dont, most who think the U.K is great should step out side of there ivory towers and come into the council estates
and I think you'll find you're still a plonker.

the key word is "survey"

The value of the British Crime Survey is that it can provide a better reflection of the true level of crime than police statistics since it includes crimes that have not been reported to, or recorded by, the police. The BCS estimates that only around half of all crime it measures is captured on police recorded crimes largely because people do not bother to report crimes because they think the crime was too trivial or the police couldn't do much about it. The BCS also provides a better measure of trends over time since it has adopted a consistent methodology and is unaffected by changes in reporting or recording practices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Crime_Survey
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im sorry you have a large family....i know it can be hard to fight obesity

So you love it here so much you moved to OZ? maybe you need to come home and see for yourself, paying taxes is not a problem if it is spent the right way, do people go to hospitals in Australia and come out with super bugs? do your MP's get tax payers money to buy Sky T.V and new Kitchens? do child perverts get moved 100 yards from a school to live? do they tax petrol at 75% then charge you road tax on top? do you pay Polish familys living in Poland child welfare? Do you have a Prime Minister who sends a letter of condolence to a FOOTBALLER for missing a penalty rather than one to the familes who have loss their teenager to Knife crime or gun crime, or even the brave solders who have lost their life because of a Goverment mix up

to be honest i could go on and on........
And you are going on and on....

How many more threads are you going to post on slagging off the UK? Because it's all you are doing. You are ruining every thread. I think you need to get a grip on reality about the issues in Oz.

You started off on this forum asking a reasonable post. You have shown your true colours. Just wondering how much of a newbie you really are.

As someone else has said if you want to move to Australia FOR Australia do so, but you are clearly moving because you hate the UK. That won't work.

I am speaking as someone who had a spectacularly bad start in Oz and who is moving back next year. Not because I hate Oz - far from it. It is one of the most beautiful places in the world. My life is fairly easy here as it was in the UK, however, I prefer the UK depsite all the problems it has which I CAN CLEARLY SEE.

And you'd better bring your stab proof vest here too, Just read that a kid got stabbed at a party. And don't forget the boy who tried to attack a teacher with the knives he took into school.

Good luck with your move.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well i didnt at any point say i thought Australia was some sort of utopia

To be honest i have yet to speak to anyone who says that Australia is not a better life style than the U.K, i think many of you need to visit the U.K again pack your stab proof vests
I am in regular contact with friends and family back in the UK - strange I know. I left the UK because we had the chance to explore and experience another country. I have personally never known anyone who's been stabbed and no one in the UK who I speak to have either. Friends in the UK have been burgled over the years, we never were. Within 9 months of being here, we were burgled. Britain has problems. Everywhere has problems, Utopia does not exist but on a scale of one to 10 I'd definitely put the UK near the top, along with Australia as having a damn good lifestyle.

If you believe you are leaving a country because of what you perceive it to be, in order to relocate to another country perceiving that to be better you are going to come so unstuck it won't be true. This may surprise you but quite a few people don't find the Australian lifestyle superior in any way and until you've tried it, you don't know whether you will either.

Take your blinkers off and see Britain for what it is. A beautiful, rich, prosperous country that is having a few management issues at the moment. You apparently don't like it. Don't assume others are foolish because they don't agree.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:47 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20

If you believe you are leaving a country because of what you perceive it to be, in order to relocate to another country perceiving that to be better you are going to come so unstuck it won't be true.
Not necessarily. This is just an opinion.

This may surprise you but quite a few people don't find the Australian lifestyle superior in any way and until you've tried it, you don't know whether you will either.

Take your blinkers off and see Britain for what it is. A beautiful, rich, prosperous country that is having a few management issues at the moment. You apparently don't like it. Don't assume others are foolish because they don't agree.
I agree 100%
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:47 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

So Australia does get illegal immigrants ? people coming in not speaking English and being able to claim the social and get housed before citizens ??
Really ?
Can you honestly say that Oz is not a better life style than the U.K, not a better place to raise children?

You need to take your Union Jack tinted glasses off, my battery is dying now but i will look into this and get some stats
Good for you, it's better to actually learn as much as you can about the country you wish to migrate to before you make any hasty decisions. Good luck to you, Australia isn't a very open country when it comes to releasing statistics, unless they are 'good'.

Yes, I can say with hand on heart that I don't believe Australia is a better place to raise children, different, not better.

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I am in regular contact with friends and family back in the UK - strange I know. I left the UK because we had the chance to explore and experience another country. I have personally never known anyone who's been stabbed and no one in the UK who I speak to have either. Friends in the UK have been burgled over the years, we never were. Within 9 months of being here, we were burgled. Britain has problems. Everywhere has problems, Utopia does not exist but on a scale of one to 10 I'd definitely put the UK near the top, along with Australia as having a damn good lifestyle.

If you believe you are leaving a country because of what you perceive it to be, in order to relocate to another country perceiving that to be better you are going to come so unstuck it won't be true. This may surprise you but quite a few people don't find the Australian lifestyle superior in any way and until you've tried it, you don't know whether you will either.

Good post Pen.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:16 pm
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get much time to get on here these days with 5 month old twins, but the wife and kids are all in the UK for 5 weeks at the momment, and I only got back last week. So I get on here at last and find a thread that mirrors our current situation. After 4 years here, Mrs TS wants to go back to the UK, I think purely on a homesick / friends / isolation basis, whereas I think I want to stay in Oz for a while yet. One of most extreme ideas has me commuting between Oz & UK for a couple of weeks every 3-4 months, as I work for an airline this is almost do-able. However I would miss so much of the kids growing up that it is not really feasible emotionally.

Whilst in UK last week there did seem to have been a sudden increase in knife crime and parts of the country do seem to have a rundown appearance. I met up with an Oz friend for an afternoon in London and found things I did miss though (pubs, architecture, TV, "buzz" as it has been put already), but getting back here it does feel like home to me now. Things maybe more expensive in the UK, but with my job I would get paid more to compensate to the point that our standard of living would probably remain the same.

As for the best place to bring kids up....here has the outdoor active life. But I do think it is isolated so kids aren't exposed to as much culture as they would be in the UK. There does seem to be something missing from Australians cultural awareness sometimes that I can't put my finger on.

As for the original question by Renth.....with the exchange rate the way it is you are probably in a win situation if you went back.....as long as you could get the right job. And I think that is what it is going to come to with me and the wife. If the right job comes up for me in the UK I think I would (relucantly) apply. But really it is a no win situation. Go back to the UK and me be miserable. Or stay here and the wife be miserable.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:20 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Don't get much time to get on here these days with 5 month old twins, but the wife and kids are all in the UK for 5 weeks at the momment, and I only got back last week. So I get on here at last and find a thread that mirrors our current situation. After 4 years here, Mrs TS wants to go back to the UK, I think purely on a homesick / friends / isolation basis, whereas I think I want to stay in Oz for a while yet. One of most extreme ideas has me commuting between Oz & UK for a couple of weeks every 3-4 months, as I work for an airline this is almost do-able. However I would miss so much of the kids growing up that it is not really feasible emotionally.

Whilst in UK last week there did seem to have been a sudden increase in knife crime and parts of the country do seem to have a rundown appearance. I met up with an Oz friend for an afternoon in London and found things I did miss though (pubs, architecture, TV, "buzz" as it has been put already), but getting back here it does feel like home to me now. Things maybe more expensive in the UK, but with my job I would get paid more to compensate to the point that our standard of living would probably remain the same.

As for the best place to bring kids up....here has the outdoor active life. But I do think it is isolated so kids aren't exposed to as much culture as they would be in the UK. There does seem to be something missing from Australians cultural awareness sometimes that I can't put my finger on.

As for the original question by Renth.....with the exchange rate the way it is you are probably in a win situation if you went back.....as long as you could get the right job. And I think that is what it is going to come to with me and the wife. If the right job comes up for me in the UK I think I would (relucantly) apply. But really it is a no win situation. Go back to the UK and me be miserable. Or stay here and the wife be miserable.

I sometimes wonder if this is a male/female thing you know. It seems to me that if a couple have differing ideas on where to settle, it always seems to be the woman who wants to go back and the man who wants to stay. It may just be the posts I happen upon though.

Good luck to you and yours.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Not always - I want to stay here and my hubby and son want to move back to Scotland.

I am very close to my family in Scotland and hubby doesn't talk to his ?? Figure that one out.

We have 2 daughters in Scotland who we both miss dreadfully, but I'd rather they came here than us go there.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
i)

ii) A lot of acreage properties are just out on a highway, flatlands, marsh land, the sort of place I imagine Jad and Rich complained about. Full of people needing a place big enough for toys but with no respect for land, people or animals.

cheers

The acerage we had was 3klm from Mooloolaba beach, surrounded by every facility you can think of, no highway or marshland, about as central and as exclusive as you could get really.

Its problems were flat acerage (ours was about 16 normal sized house blocks, ) is hard work, and the neighbours were so up themselves due to their exclusiveness pretty ignorant inconsiderate people.

The area itself was brilliant, acerage that close to facilites is rare as hens teeth, we knew that, it took us 15 months to find one for sale, we picked it up from kids who got it off daddy in a family subdivision.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer

But really it is a no win situation. Go back to the UK and me be miserable. Or stay here and the wife be miserable.
Sad situation, and pretty common, happy couple, but one likes UK one likes OZ, solutions well the only one I can think of is time share, divvy your lives up into, right X years here then X years there. We did that quite happily, till the kids got to high school education and being stuck in one place is pretty much essentiial unless you want to screw your kids education up.

With 5 month old kids you could be in a easier situation than most, of course I am not ignoring the fact jobs and what flitting round globe costs but having done this the education part is the most complex bit.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jun 6th 2008 at 6:57 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:00 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Sad situation, and pretty common, happy couple, but one likes UK one likes OZ, solutions well the only one I can think of is time share, divvy your lives up into, right X years here then X years there. We did that quite happily, till the kids got to high school education and being stuck in one place is pretty much essentiial unless you want to screw your kids education up.

With 5 month old kids you could be in a easier situation than most, of course I am not ignoring the fact jobs and what flitting round globe costs but having done this the education part is the most complex bit.
I think you're spot on. Finances aside I'd have no problem with moving continuously to seek out new places / lifestyles etc.
My eldest is 8 now though so within a few years we need to settle.
Once youngest is grown up we'll probably up sticks again

Last edited by Kapri; Jun 7th 2008 at 1:01 am. Reason: typo
Old Jun 7th 2008, 2:49 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

i think many of you need to visit the U.K again pack your stab proof vests
thanks for your advice ... I will definately pack my vest and for the kids also, cant be too careful when it comes to the blue rinse brigade that dominate my old hometown we're going to visit for 3 weeks next month - never know how rowdy these pensioners will get in their tea shops with all the pills they take

From an experience point of view I will say that in the UK we were subject to a fair amount of petty crime which really annoyed us:
we had our shed broken into
our cars were vandalised 7 times in 3 years
car was broken into twice

really REALLY frustrating! but never do I subscribe to the belief that its a terrifying dangerous place to live, of course there are some areas, generally inner city sink estates, that have succumbed to crime but personally I have never experienced anything like that and would never been in those areas anyway.

I take precautions in the UK that I take everywhere I go ... I dont carry my purse where it can be snatched, I dont walk the streets at night in areas I shouldnt, I dont leave my car unlocked (except for where I live as it cant go far on a 3 mile square island) etc etc.

UK is hardly the most dangerous place to be, yes there are incidents, unfortunate sad tradgedies - but that happens everywhere.

We live where people take their once in a lifetime vacations .. yet on islands we neighbour the latest craze is machete beheadings ..... nice.

We wont be returning to the UK - for many reasons, and petty crime there did piss us off, but the hysterical crime ridden island it is not.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Onthemove2008 will become famous soon enoughOnthemove2008 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by islandmom
thanks for your advice ... I will definately pack my vest and for the kids also, cant be too careful when it comes to the blue rinse brigade that dominate my old hometown we're going to visit for 3 weeks next month - never know how rowdy these pensioners will get in their tea shops with all the pills they take

From an experience point of view I will say that in the UK we were subject to a fair amount of petty crime which really annoyed us:
we had our shed broken into
our cars were vandalised 7 times in 3 years
car was broken into twice

really REALLY frustrating! but never do I subscribe to the belief that its a terrifying dangerous place to live, of course there are some areas, generally inner city sink estates, that have succumbed to crime but personally I have never experienced anything like that and would never been in those areas anyway.

I take precautions in the UK that I take everywhere I go ... I dont carry my purse where it can be snatched, I dont walk the streets at night in areas I shouldnt, I dont leave my car unlocked (except for where I live as it cant go far on a 3 mile square island) etc etc.

UK is hardly the most dangerous place to be, yes there are incidents, unfortunate sad tradgedies - but that happens everywhere.

We live where people take their once in a lifetime vacations .. yet on islands we neighbour the latest craze is machete beheadings ..... nice.

We wont be returning to the UK - for many reasons, and petty crime there did piss us off, but the hysterical crime ridden island it is not.
Hey Crystal23 and the rest of you with the Union Jack tinted specs on, looks like im not the only one who feels like this, this is taken from this forum......

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505641

__________________________________________________ ___________

cneldred

Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

got back visit for a fortnight that will sort your head out....there is a huge exodus of British citizens for one reason, the country is going down the toilet...FAST. No respect, no community spirit, over priced, under policed, drunken teenagers causing trouble everywhere at the weekends, need i go on.

Chris

__________________________________________________ _______________

cneldred

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 2 young children and there is no way on this earth i want them growing up in what the UK has become, over here they can look forward to so much the activities we can do as a family summer or winter. In the UK i wouldn't let them play out in the street, and was dreading them becoming teenagers over there. The new happy slapping culture is just another example of how parents have failed to install any mutual respect in kids over there. What is the point is bringing up your kids the right way, to respect each each, work hard, etc etc, if they are going to get dragged down by the majority of kids around them.

Chris

__________________________________________________ ________

the_tones_guy
Addicted to DOLE Jelly

For me it's the chavs and influx of EU 'migrants', I am a big bloke, bug I just don't feel safe.

The UK has opened it's doors to the HUGE EU massive, allowing the polish, Czech, Romanian. etc etc... exedus.

I have paid into the system for 20+ years and it's these scroungers that are not allowing the UK Government to fulfil their promises to the pensioners and give them back the £££ they have spent all their time paying it\and the NHS can't cope, the schools are bursting at the seams 35+ per class.

I read a report recently that the UK was not even in the top 40 of county's education acheivers,Canada was number 4.

So rather than spend the rest of my life watching my back, I'd ratrher enjoy the quality of life I know it's coming....as soon as I can sell the bloody house!

Rant over~

__________________________________________________ ______________

Jan 12th 2008, 8:14 pm #14
DAVIE_MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny B
There is no difference in EU Migrants coming to the UK for a better life than you going to Canada for a better life.

Maybe not the reason for the move but the DEMANDS they insist on and Complain about when they get here is a different matter.

Protest groups organised when a local coucil refused planning permission for a mosque...so the council overturned it...let them knock down the Christian church and replace it with the mosque.

Having local schools closed down to because the results were so bad in English and Maths tests...reason 52% of the students can't speak English.

Protesting about school uniforms

Demanding interpreters

Commiting crime and not being deported because the government have no balls

etc etc etc

Most do however earn a good living and work hard.

The difference is when we move to Canada we will RESPECT the nation we have moved to. Live by their laws and culture and it is WE who have to fit in there not Canada bow down on bended knee to please me or my family...if we don't like then we can pack up and P**S off but the spinless pricks running this country aint got the balls to say or deliver that.

This country has been lost and will never be able to recover from the mess it is in. SO MANY people slated Enoch Powel for being racist when he made his statements years ago and maybe he was but you have to say alot of what he spoke about has actualy happened...and that is not meant to be racist in any way shape or form.

As i say, you really need to come "home" for a while.... now i rest my case and wont continue with this debate as i am right....

__________________________________________________ ____________
Old Jun 7th 2008, 2:13 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Crystal23 and the rest of you with the Union Jack tinted specs on, looks like im not the only one who feels like this, this is taken from this forum......

As i say, you really need to come "home" for a while.... now i rest my case and wont continue with this debate as i am right....
Of course you are.......n't.

Well you gave me a good laugh so I thank you....

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Jun 7th 2008 at 2:38 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.