British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Future Uncertain - My experience (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/future-uncertain-my-experience-676816/)

letusenjoy79 Jul 28th 2010 6:17 am

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8733006)
What? :confused: If you were getting feedback that you were over qualified for roles then why wouldn't you go for more senior roles. :unsure:

Well anyway you are back in India now, do you think you will give it anotehr go before the visa lapses?

They were reluctant to hand over senior roles due to lack of local experience....

Only God knows about future, I really can't comment over it as of now:)

letusenjoy79 Jul 31st 2010 6:52 am

Does someone know till what time we will receive payments from Centrelink?:unsure:

Dorothy Jul 31st 2010 7:04 am

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 8741792)
Does someone know till what time we will receive payments from Centrelink?:unsure:

If you are in India you should not be receiving anything from Centrelink. Centrelink benefits are for Australian residents IN Australia.

You need to contact Centrelink immediately to cancel payments.

sonlymewalter Jul 31st 2010 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8741800)
If you are in India you should not be receiving anything from Centrelink. Centrelink benefits are for Australian residents IN Australia.

I would guess they mean when they get back to Aus mate :confused:

letusenjoy79 Aug 1st 2010 8:36 am

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 8741823)
I would guess they mean when they get back to Aus mate :confused:

I am not sure whether I will be returning back or not.... Could you please guide as to how should I contact Centrelink people now

sonlymewalter Aug 1st 2010 8:42 am

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 8743643)
I am not sure whether I will be returning back or not.... Could you please guide as to how should I contact Centrelink people now

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ices/index.htm

Gypsy. Aug 22nd 2010 10:40 pm

@letusenjoy79

All Good. No need to feel bad. You had given a try before giving up and I appreciate your guts to go back to India.

Its hard for some people to digest to do the odd jobs. Especially we Indians haven't learnt the dignity of labour. We always felt proud of being as managers or officers but it does not work that way in Europe / Australia.

Let me share a success story of my friend. He is a young chap in his middle 20's with dreams who landed in Adelaide. He was just hooked up to the computers to apply for the jobs and not cared about building the friendship / professional network in Adelaide. He just got 2 interview calls. He spent out all his money and decided to quit. He returned to India and realised that he cannot live there after tasting the Australian ambience.

He planned again to give another try. This time, he changed his mind to accept any kind of adventure and ready to face any kind of challenge. Landed again in Adelaide, ventured out,, accepted a field sales job. Switched to a call centre job and finally settled in a reputed company in a permanent white collar job. To add flavour to this real story, he was on a temporary residence visa.

I am not here to force anyone to do like that. I would be happy if I had provoked your thoughts.

All the best. Cheers.

Syedney Aug 22nd 2010 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8741800)

Is this correct???

When I was still with my last employer, I know of an employee from Sri Lanka who while waiting for his job offer coming through, and on a PR visa, he and his family were on benefits from CentreLink...

He was boasting about it too...:rofl:

letusenjoy79 Aug 23rd 2010 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 8795199)
Is this correct???

When I was still with my last employer, I know of an employee from Sri Lanka who while waiting for his job offer coming through, and on a PR visa, he and his family were on benefits from CentreLink...

He was boasting about it too...:rofl:

I am not boasting about anything and I am getting approx. $100/month, if I happen to come back to Australia and Centrelink wants me to return the money, I will readily do so

:)

Syedney Aug 23rd 2010 2:25 am

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 8795378)
I am not boasting about anything and I am getting approx. $100/month, if I happen to come back to Australia and Centrelink wants me to return the money, I will readily do so

Looking at the exchange rate on www.xe.com and assuming you're using AU dollars, that's just over 4,000 Indian Rupees a month!

That's besides what I am alluding to here though. That is how can someone be claiming for benefits while being technically outside of the country which is issuing the benefit???

I can't claim anything from UK as I am in Australia. That's what is not explained here.

donna Aug 23rd 2010 4:26 am

surely this is a wind up

Gypsy. Aug 23rd 2010 4:31 am

Ethically this is not right and Centrelink should have some means to check this out.

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 8795392)
Looking at the exchange rate on www.xe.com and assuming you're using AU dollars, that's just over 4,000 Indian Rupees a month!

That's besides what I am alluding to here though. That is how can someone be claiming for benefits while being technically outside of the country which is issuing the benefit???

I can't claim anything from UK as I am in Australia. That's what is not explained here.

Syedney Aug 23rd 2010 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Gypsy. (Post 8795598)
Ethically this is not right and Centrelink should have some means to check this out.

It may be something above board and genuine, still it would be interesting to know from OP what benefit Centrelink are paying $100 per month for?

As for paying back the money, why would the OP suggest that?

Anyway, I am just curious as I am between jobs and have no income coming in, and cannot claim any benefit being on 457 and not even from my own country!!!:frown:

However, it's only fair that if you don't reside in that country and thus don't contribute to the wealth of that country, you shouldn't be entitled to anything from it!

Dorothy Aug 23rd 2010 5:08 am

Have you contacted Centrelink to tell them you are not in Australia yet? If not, why not?

Receiving money from the government that you are not entitled to is not only ethically wrong, but it is illegal.

Syedney Aug 23rd 2010 5:33 am

Did it occur to you that maybe because you know you got a $100 a month coming in (on top of your wages) in India, you've not given your best to adapt here and struggle and fight and make it here????

Just a thought...