British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Future Uncertain - My experience (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/future-uncertain-my-experience-676816/)

TiddlyPom Aug 24th 2010 10:49 am

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8799075)
That's a bloody good question. Most of those coming from India seem to be in IT and frankly they would probably be better off staying exactly where they are.

The OP is a civil engineer.

moneypenny20 Aug 24th 2010 11:14 am

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom (Post 8799115)
The OP is a civil engineer.

Not very civil, stealing money from a country though, is it?

letusenjoy79 Aug 24th 2010 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8799177)
Not very civil, stealing money from a country though, is it?

Its turning quite interesting, and inner thoughts of different people are coming out. I can understand what kind of opinions you people are having...
To clear my stand I have already written to Centrelink regarding my position and it is upto them to decide what action they have to take.
I want to convey all people that probably you should know that Civil Engineers are amongst best paid people anywhere in the world & 100$ can never lure anyone....:p
However people are people, really funny...............:p:sneaky:

TiddlyPom Aug 24th 2010 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 8800273)
100$ can never lure anyone....:p

That really shows what you know! :rofl: BTW, Centrelink will require you to pay all the money back immediately.
People have opinions like this when they hear someone talking about being in another country still receiving benefits because you're taking money wrongly, regardless of your wonderful financial position and your amusement at people's reactions. It's wrong and you should have advised C'link of your departure date before you even left the country.
I'm not surprised you didn't fit in here.

man_called_Horse Aug 24th 2010 10:18 pm

Try getting a professional Civil Engineer job with a centrelink fraud on your record.

Cheetah7 Aug 24th 2010 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 8800273)
Its turning quite interesting, and inner thoughts of different people are coming out. I can understand what kind of opinions you people are having...
To clear my stand I have already written to Centrelink regarding my position and it is upto them to decide what action they have to take.
I want to convey all people that probably you should know that Civil Engineers are amongst best paid people anywhere in the world & 100$ can never lure anyone....:p
However people are people, really funny...............:p:sneaky:

So why the **** are you still taking the money? Please dont tell me that money makes a difference to your family?

I dont believe you have written to them because you have previously asked how long you get the payments for.

Now you are back tracking - support your own family, why the hell should we?

TiddlyPom Aug 24th 2010 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 8800944)
So why the **** are you still taking the money? Please dont tell me that money makes a difference to your family?

I was wondering why he'd even applied for it in the first place.

Dorothy Aug 25th 2010 2:56 am

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom (Post 8800959)
I was wondering why he'd even applied for it in the first place.

The same reason any immigrant with children does...Because all PR are entitled to child benefit and rental assistance from Centrelink. My engineer husband and I signed up for it. Should we not have? I'm sure you signed up for it. Should you not have?

Cheetah7 Aug 25th 2010 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8801250)
The same reason any immigrant with children does...Because all PR are entitled to child benefit and rental assistance from Centrelink. My engineer husband and I signed up for it. Should we not have? I'm sure you signed up for it. Should you not have?

The point is he should have cancelled it when he left Australia, because he is no longer entitled to it and the fact he is still claiming it is theft.

Dorothy Aug 25th 2010 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 8801274)
The point is he should have cancelled it when he left Australia, because he is no longer entitled to it and the fact he is still claiming it is theft.

I do agree with that. However TP asked why he applied for it in the first place. I simply answered her question.

I think you will find that on the first page of this thread, one of the first answers the OP got was from me telling him to contact Centrelink to cancel the payments as he was not entitled.

moneypenny20 Aug 25th 2010 3:37 am

I think he's now in wind up mode so I think we should all just leave him alone, it's really not worth blowing a gasket over. He's one of millions - none of whom I know enough about to dob them in. They'll get theirs eventually. Move on.

IndieG Aug 25th 2010 6:01 am

Posts like these make me really want to get back to working in Compliance! Am sure I'd save Centrelink and the taxpayers a lot of money:D

Doesn't Centrelink have some kind of link to Immigration's database to find out whether someone is still resident or not?

Cheetah7 Aug 25th 2010 6:07 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 8801484)
Posts like these make me really want to get back to working in Compliance! Am sure I'd save Centrelink and the taxpayers a lot of money:D

Doesn't Centrelink have some kind of link to Immigration's database to find out whether someone is still resident or not?

Your passport tells everything, lets hope his screams 'thief and liar'.

Pollyana Aug 25th 2010 6:37 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 8801484)

I believe the databases are linked, same as Medicare is linked to DIAC.

Cheetah7 Aug 25th 2010 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8801524)
I believe the databases are linked, same as Medicare is linked to DIAC.

he must still have an Aussie address or someone acting on his behalf, surely? or keeping his old address/bank account.