British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Future Uncertain - My experience (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/future-uncertain-my-experience-676816/)

Syedney Aug 23rd 2010 5:43 am

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience

:rofl:

It would be totally unfair to suggest this so I am removing the original link

Cheetah7 Aug 23rd 2010 6:11 am

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 8795378)
I am not boasting about anything and I am getting approx. $100/month, if I happen to come back to Australia and Centrelink wants me to return the money, I will readily do so

:)

Why dont you just stop the payments now - as in immediately? You shouldnt be receiving them, so why not stop them?

Pollyana Aug 23rd 2010 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 8795199)
Is this correct???

When I was still with my last employer, I know of an employee from Sri Lanka who while waiting for his job offer coming through, and on a PR visa, he and his family were on benefits from CentreLink...

He was boasting about it too...:rofl:

There are some benefits that you can get straight away such as child support payments.

I am not boasting about anything and I am getting approx. $100/month, if I happen to come back to Australia and Centrelink wants me to return the money, I will readily do so

You need to provide Centrelink with your current address, which is clearly not in Australia. If you are claiming benefits only payable to Australian residents you MUST inform them that the payments should be ceased. Otherwise you are committing benefit fraud and are breaking the law.

As this is now a general discussion rather than an update thread I am moving it to a more appropriate forum.

moneypenny20 Aug 23rd 2010 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 8795644)
It may be something above board and genuine,

The whole family are in India and the wage earner is working in India. There is nothing above board and genuine about receiving benefits from the Australian Government.

Not making a comment about the OP, just stating a fact.

Kim67 Aug 23rd 2010 7:42 am

In Australia, employers must be seen to not be discriminating against a prospective employee, so they say "sorry, you're over qualified", "sorry, you don't have enough local experience" what they really want to say is "we can see you're a dishonest thief and don't want you here".:D

brissybee Aug 23rd 2010 7:58 am

Originally Posted by donna (Post 8795591)
surely this is a wind up

You'd like to think that wouldn't you.

furbacchione Aug 23rd 2010 8:13 am

Timing is a very large part of it when gauging success. You show up at the trough of the business cycle and you'll discover that even the locals are finding it hard to get work. Show up at or near the peak and you have to beat the offers away with a stick... When I pull the pin on this place that will be my strategy - leave about a and half after recovery has began and hit .

There are also a lot of Indians in Australia so getting stuck into the various indian communities here will hopefully help. Immigrants tend to be friendly to other immigrants - at least that's my experience.

man_called_Horse Aug 23rd 2010 12:26 pm

I thought you had to have PR for 2 years before you can receive any benefits!!

Really claiming for benefits while not residing in the country sends out the wrong message, I don't pay $25K a year of taxes for some freeloader to suck it out of the country.... you might have thought you were hard done by for not getting a professional job but thats just tough luck... Australia owes you nothing.

Dorothy Aug 23rd 2010 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse (Post 8796463)
I thought you had to have PR for 2 years before you can receive any benefits!!

Really claiming for benefits while not residing in the country sends out the wrong message, I don't pay $25K a year of taxes for some freeloader to suck it out of the country.... you might have thought you were hard done by for not getting a professional job but thats just tough luck... Australia owes you nothing.

Every PR is entitled to certain benefits from the day they land. Medicare, child benefit, rent assistance to name a couple. It's things like unemployment or disability that they are not entitled to for the first 2 years.

Bermudashorts Aug 23rd 2010 8:06 pm

You are cheating the system and fraudulently claiming benefits. Are you planning to do this for the rest of your life, even if you never return to Australia. You know damn well you are not entitled to the money.

Cheetah7 Aug 24th 2010 3:03 am

Surely you cannot be relying on $100 as part of your income? Why should you get it, you don't live in Australia and contribute nothing to the Australian economy so why on earth should you get it?

You say you would return the money, well I dont believe it because you are obviously relying on the money now and spending it, are you telling me that if they asked you return a large sum of money you would happily pay it back immediately?

I am not being funny but you chose to have children, you chose to move to Australia and yes, take the family benefit that was given to you WHILE you lived there which is fair enough, they are helping you raise your kids so that at some point they can go into the adult world and start contributing back.

They did not award you that money so you can live happily in your own country raising your kids, it is your job to pay for and raise your kids in your own country, come back to Australia and you will be entitled to a bit of help but certainly not where you are now.

Has it ever occured to you that what you are doing is dishonest and wrong? You may see nothing wrong with what you are doing, so why don't you call Centrelink and tell them that you no longer live in Australia and let them make the decision.

Because when that sum of money owed runs into thousands of dollars, lets see how happy you are to pay that back.

Your kids in your country, your job to raise and pay for them and if your government gives you family benefits then well and good but why the hell should Australia help pay for your family when you contribute nothing and don't even live here?

TiddlyPom Aug 24th 2010 3:25 am

Meh, just go to the Centrelink website and dob the guy in. Give the link to this thread.

letusenjoy79 Aug 24th 2010 5:32 am

Originally Posted by mic n mat (Post 8795997)
Timing is a very large part of it when gauging success. You show up at the trough of the business cycle and you'll discover that even the locals are finding it hard to get work. Show up at or near the peak and you have to beat the offers away with a stick... When I pull the pin on this place that will be my strategy - leave about a and half after recovery has began and hit .

There are also a lot of Indians in Australia so getting stuck into the various indian communities here will hopefully help. Immigrants tend to be friendly to other immigrants - at least that's my experience.

Yep I know there are lot of Indians in Australia and they are friendly with other immigrants. However I have observed that very few professionals are doing work in their respective fields but are stuckup doing odd jobs. This scared me up.... I am trying to gather momentum again so that I could give one more try..

Cheetah7 Aug 24th 2010 5:59 am

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 8798583)
Yep I know there are lot of Indians in Australia and they are friendly with other immigrants. However I have observed that very few professionals are doing work in their respective fields but are stuckup doing odd jobs. This scared me up.... I am trying to gather momentum again so that I could give one more try..

But why are you keeping the money, why not stop it now?

man_called_Horse Aug 24th 2010 6:57 am

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 8798583)

Is Driving a taxi or working in a Servo not good enough for you? and so you think sponging money from the dole while in India is some sort of compensation?