British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Future Uncertain - My experience (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/future-uncertain-my-experience-676816/)

letusenjoy79 Jul 15th 2010 5:59 pm

Future Uncertain - My experience
 
Hi Friends,

Initially I moved to Melbourne alone in July 2009 after getting my PR VISA.My hopes were a bit on higher side as I had an experience of more than 15 years in field which was in huge demand.
As happens with most of migrants I kept on struggling for getting a Job for months but in vain. In these six months I changed my Resume for nearly 15 times, got 3 interview calls but was not able to grab any kind of job. Some Companies considered me Over qualified some said I lacked local experience. (I was not aware how can a new skilled migrant can have local experience). After six months I got myself admitted in a TAFE Course at NMIT Melbourne through which I got an opportunity find work as a volunteer in an Organization. After 2 months of working as a Volunteer, I was assured that I will be absorbed as soon as Company has some projects in hand.
My family also joined me. For few days they were also happy but were unable to cope up with the hardships. Now we are back in India, back in our jobs------- Same life again.

Don't know whether a dream has been shattered or .....................:confused::confused::confused :

sonlymewalter Jul 15th 2010 7:20 pm

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience
 
Settling in and requiring local knowledge is a common theme. Like you say it's hard gaining local knowledge if you can't get the job which is why a lot of migrants take any work until they gain the experience they need.

Hope it all works out now you are back in India mate:thumbup:

letusenjoy79 Jul 16th 2010 8:18 am

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience
 

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 8704079)
Settling in and requiring local knowledge is a common theme. Like you say it's hard gaining local knowledge if you can't get the job which is why a lot of migrants take any work until they gain the experience they need.

Hope it all works out now you are back in India mate:thumbup:

You are right. Initially I tried to have job in my profession only but later understood that it does not work like that. I also observed that most migrants grab any odd job and are happy doing that for entire life..... May be I was not successful as my mindset was not same:confused::confused:

lancastrian48 Jul 16th 2010 10:12 am

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience
 
:[/QUOTE]

It's tough isn't it and silly.
If Australia want you why not fast track you into the skill required.

Best o luck.

sonlymewalter Jul 16th 2010 12:24 pm

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience
 

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 8705223)
You are right. Initially I tried to have job in my profession only but later understood that it does not work like that. I also observed that most migrants grab any odd job and are happy doing that for entire life..... May be I was not successful as my mindset was not same:confused::confused:

Being skilled doesnt guarantee a job in Aus mate. Most people have to start at the bottom and spend years working their way back up, if at all.

It aint for everyone and it wasn't for you. No big deal mate I'm sure you'll be happier back home:thumbup:

letusenjoy79 Jul 17th 2010 4:02 am

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience
 

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 8705557)
Being skilled doesnt guarantee a job in Aus mate. Most people have to start at the bottom and spend years working their way back up, if at all.

It aint for everyone and it wasn't for you. No big deal mate I'm sure you'll be happier back home:thumbup:

Yep, I am happier back home. My PR VISA is valid till May 2014. Could anyone guide me what will happen to my PR VISA if I return to Oz say after 3-4 years?

Pollyana Jul 17th 2010 5:52 am

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience
 

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 8707510)
Yep, I am happier back home. My PR VISA is valid till May 2014. Could anyone guide me what will happen to my PR VISA if I return to Oz say after 3-4 years?

You can return to Australia at any point up until the expiry date on your visa ( May 2014). If you wish to leave and then re-enter after that you will need to either get a Return Resident Visa, or citizenship (see www.immi.gov.au or numerous threads in the Immigration forum on here for details :)

Sorry it didn't work out for you - on the work front, a lot of us went backwards in our careers because we simply needed money, so had to take whatever job we could get. Took me 5 years to fight my way back to the level I was at before I emigrated. It can be done, but for many people its a long hard road.

Sally Simpson Jul 17th 2010 6:50 am

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience
 
Sorry it did not work out for you.
Wishing you a settled & happy life where you are now:fingerscrossed:

letusenjoy79 Jul 18th 2010 6:06 am

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience
 

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson (Post 8707668)
Sorry it did not work out for you.
Wishing you a settled & happy life where you are now:fingerscrossed:

Thanks Pollyana and Sally. I have came to understand that there are certain things in life over which no human has control.... I am in Delhi, India as of now:)

Sally Simpson Jul 18th 2010 6:49 am

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience
 

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 8709538)
Thanks Pollyana and Sally. I have came to understand that there are certain things in life over which no human has control.... I am in Delhi, India as of now:)

It is a huge risk moving country & starting over & certainly not something to be taken lightly as perhaps it could be in years gone by, when cost of living was not so high in Aus & jobs easier to come by.
You are by no means alone in having had to return whence you came for now. Perhaps that is what is meant to be. Hopefully you gained from the experience in some way & can now move onward & upward:fingerscrossed:

Syedney Jul 23rd 2010 12:19 am

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience
 

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 8703896)
Hi Friends,

Initially I moved to Melbourne alone in July 2009 after getting my PR VISA.My hopes were a bit on higher side as I had an experience of more than 15 years in field which was in huge demand.
As happens with most of migrants I kept on struggling for getting a Job for months but in vain. In these six months I changed my Resume for nearly 15 times, got 3 interview calls but was not able to grab any kind of job. Some Companies considered me Over qualified some said I lacked local experience. (I was not aware how can a new skilled migrant can have local experience). After six months I got myself admitted in a TAFE Course at NMIT Melbourne through which I got an opportunity find work as a volunteer in an Organization. After 2 months of working as a Volunteer, I was assured that I will be absorbed as soon as Company has some projects in hand.
My family also joined me. For few days they were also happy but were unable to cope up with the hardships. Now we are back in India, back in our jobs------- Same life again.

Don't know whether a dream has been shattered or .....................:confused::confused::confused :


mate, really sorry about your predicament but...

Have you tried anywhere else in Australia????

melbourne is not the be all and end all of Australia!

peacemaker27 Jul 23rd 2010 12:28 am

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience
 

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 8703896)
Hi Friends,

Initially I moved to Melbourne alone in July 2009 after getting my PR VISA.My hopes were a bit on higher side as I had an experience of more than 15 years in field which was in huge demand.
As happens with most of migrants I kept on struggling for getting a Job for months but in vain. In these six months I changed my Resume for nearly 15 times, got 3 interview calls but was not able to grab any kind of job. Some Companies considered me Over qualified some said I lacked local experience. (I was not aware how can a new skilled migrant can have local experience). After six months I got myself admitted in a TAFE Course at NMIT Melbourne through which I got an opportunity find work as a volunteer in an Organization. After 2 months of working as a Volunteer, I was assured that I will be absorbed as soon as Company has some projects in hand.
My family also joined me. For few days they were also happy but were unable to cope up with the hardships. Now we are back in India, back in our jobs------- Same life again.

Don't know whether a dream has been shattered or .....................:confused::confused::confused :

Hi,

Sorry it didn't work for you.

we moved to Melbourne in July 09 from India (Blore)...Which area do you specialize in?

P

letusenjoy79 Jul 27th 2010 11:40 am

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience
 

Originally Posted by peacemaker27 (Post 8721730)
Hi,

Sorry it didn't work for you.

we moved to Melbourne in July 09 from India (Blore)...Which area do you specialize in?

P

I am a graduate Civil Engineer with Masters in Environmental Engineering. What about you?:)

letusenjoy79 Jul 27th 2010 11:42 am

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience
 

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 8721710)
mate, really sorry about your predicament but...

Have you tried anywhere else in Australia????

melbourne is not the be all and end all of Australia!

Yep I tried... But what I felt is that " I was having an experience of more than 15 years in India and probably they considered me over qualified as well as over experienced.....:)

Bermudashorts Jul 27th 2010 10:35 pm

Re: Future Uncertain - My experience
 

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 8731387)
Yep I tried... But what I felt is that " I was having an experience of more than 15 years in India and probably they considered me over qualified as well as over experienced.....:)

What? :confused: If you were getting feedback that you were over qualified for roles then why wouldn't you go for more senior roles. :unsure:

Well anyway you are back in India now, do you think you will give it anotehr go before the visa lapses?


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:03 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.