Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The first mistake in the bible!

The first mistake in the bible!

Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:45 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The first mistake in the bible!

Originally Posted by northerner
Thanks Sally. Carry on 'Thinking less, breathing more' - that's a great philosophy. Just trying to play devils advocate ('scuse the pun).

Sorry if I've offended anyone for having a slightly different opinion to the masses. It's also interesting to note that whilst people here say they can't stand God botherers because they alway think they're right and you can't win an arguement with them no matter what you say - well what is everyone doing on this thread?? Exactly that I'd suggest - 'we're right, you're wrong, you're stupid for thinking any differently to us'. Brilliant.

Graham

PS For the record I'm not a practising Christian or anything else.

I thought you were leaving.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:46 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally
Having AD proves the bible is right?

Now I've heard everything.
Did I say that Sally? Wind your neck in love.

I simply like to have an open mind to all possibilities. Is it so impossible to believe there was a preacher called Jesus? Just like I believe in evolution, I am quite capable of believing there may have been a preacher. I didn't say I believed that the bible was right at all, I actually said that I reckon the majority of the Bible is tosh.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:46 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I thought you were leaving.
I did, and it was a very nice lunch thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:48 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Did I say that Sally? Wind your neck in love.

I simply like to have an open mind to all possibilities. Is it so impossible to believe there was a preacher called Jesus? Just like I believe in evolution, I am quite capable of believing there may have been a preacher. I didn't say I believed that the bible was right at all, I actually said that I reckon the majority of the Bible is tosh.
I'm not really that bothered, it just sounded a bit stupid.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 5:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I could spend my afternoon googling but can't be bothered so does anyone KNOW what the likes of Aristotle called the date during their lifetimes?

I have issues as to whether Jesus existed anyway especially as there is supposed debate on his date of birth. If it was so miraculous that they changed the date system just for him why did they take a pagan festival date? Surely they could have found an 'unsullied' date like perhaps the actual date he was born.

If this debate has done anything miraculous it must be that I now need to give Arkon karma for his previous comment Hallelujah, praise the lord.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I tried, moneypen, but i just found this!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating_system

Will keep looking....
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:16 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
I tried, moneypen, but i just found this!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating_system

Will keep looking....
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Here it is!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_domini
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Esp. I think So in other words, the date used as Jesus's birth is about 18 years out maybe perhaps who knows.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:52 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

In my mind evolution is way more fascinating. Just looking up to the stars and thinking of all of those planets out there also has me awe struck! It is totally amazing. I do not believe in any religion or nay god unfortunately. But thats just my opinion and is probably worthless anyway. I would like to think there was a heaven and a life after death but I can't see it personally.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

I like to think that without any need for religion people still live on in two ways - one is the way that they have influenced other people during their lives, the good they have done (hopefully) and the values that they gave their children.
The other is the energy that was part of their body rejoins the world again, whether it is decomposing in the ground (sorry can't think of a nicer word than decomposing) or the ashes being scattered somewhere. Tiny bits of the person will become part of new life. I feel very comfortable with that concept.

(It's ashes to ashes dust to dust, I suppose! Maybe the bible does have some things right in it!)
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 7:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
In my mind evolution is way more fascinating. Just looking up to the stars and thinking of all of those planets out there also has me awe struck! It is totally amazing. I do not believe in any religion or nay god unfortunately. But thats just my opinion and is probably worthless anyway. I would like to think there was a heaven and a life after death but I can't see it personally.
I agree about the stars and stuff. Are you allowed heaven and hell in this day and age. Surely it would be considered victimisation of bad people to unconditionally sent to hell and surely for the decision to be based on the judgement of one thing cannot be legal.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 7:02 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
This isn't aimed at you JTL, but isn't it interesting how much time and money many people (who publicly call people idiots who even half believe in there being a creator) waste on buying books and reading up on the issue?!

It really interests and fascinates people.

Various people state with absolute conviction that it's all rubbish and anyone who believes it is a freak - there's absolutely no evidence etc.,, etc...

Well here's a simple, non inflamatory question - why are we in the year 2007AD? AD being Anno Domini. Surely that must mean something?

Also, as a passing comment, I personally find it far more unbelievable that we all evolved from some cosmic goo - this is what the most (apparently) intelligent scientists would have us believe!!!! WTF?! Are you for real? Ooooh yeah, a bit of goo (oh, by the way - how did the goo get there?) that developed into what we see in 2007. Oh yeah - I buy that LOL

Sorry, this is long winded. But what annoys me is people who catagorically say it's crap and it's 'obvious' that we just happened to be and quote some book written by a scientist as 'proof'. What crap.

Graham
There is more evidence to suggest evolution to be honest. It isn't ridiculous either. So we all came from a big bang and space dust, all things on the planet contain carbon do they not? Single cell divided and multiplied etc just like common viruses and bacteria...it is possible. Just as possible as god creating us. Who created god then? and as for people following a book...isn't that the foundation of any religion? or belief system?
I beleive what I can see, I see death on a daily basis. I would like to believe there is a better life afterwards but I have seen death first hand on many occasions and I can honestly say I don't believe in such things now. I had a strict christian upbringing myself and believed in god until I was 14-15 then reality struck.

Last edited by OzzieNurse; Jun 23rd 2007 at 7:06 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I agree about the stars and stuff. Are you allowed heaven and hell in this day and age. Surely it would be considered victimisation of bad people to unconditionally sent to hell and surely for the decision to be based on the judgement of one thing cannot be legal.
Mmmm, could be against their human rights. Not their fault if God made them sin. It's alright though, you just have to ask for forgiveness and you get to go to heaven anyway.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 7:10 am
Here at last!

Originally Posted by esperanza
I like to think that without any need for religion people still live on in two ways - one is the way that they have influenced other people during their lives, the good they have done (hopefully) and the values that they gave their children.
The other is the energy that was part of their body rejoins the world again, whether it is decomposing in the ground (sorry can't think of a nicer word than decomposing) or the ashes being scattered somewhere. Tiny bits of the person will become part of new life. I feel very comfortable with that concept.

(It's ashes to ashes dust to dust, I suppose! Maybe the bible does have some things right in it!)
Totally agree. We all strive to leave a memory behind of our lives so that it meant something. I guess it is human nature. We all want to be remembered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.