Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Favourite Real Estate Jargon

Favourite Real Estate Jargon

Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:41 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite Real Estate Jargon

"Dress circle." What the hell?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I know what you mean! or "highly sort after..."
Oh god, that one drives me insane! Don't these people own a spell checker in the absence of a brain????? Everyone makes spelling mistakes, of course, but surely if you are sending something to print you make doubly sure it's correct. I am amazed at how many I see!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Oh god, that one drives me insane! Don't these people own a spell checker in the absence of a brain????? Everyone makes spelling mistakes, of course, but surely if you are sending something to print you make doubly sure it's correct. I am amazed at how many I see!
Why would a spell checker pick that up? It is still a word, just the wrong one.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Why would a spell checker pick that up? It is still a word, just the wrong one.
Oh yeah, good point! No excuse for not proof reading the blooming things though!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of

I've seen a few places now that have Garges
. I'm not sure what to do with one if I had one. . . .
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:21 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Not jargon as such but there is a house on our street that's been for sale for over a year and one of the photos on domain contains the text "zoomed in view (of the harbour) from balcony". Seriously, what use is that to anybody? It's on a very high zoom, for sure, and I think they must have been on a stepladder when they took it.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Not jargon as such but there is a house on our street that's been for sale for over a year and one of the photos on domain contains the text "zoomed in view (of the harbour) from balcony". Seriously, what use is that to anybody? It's on a very high zoom, for sure, and I think they must have been on a stepladder when they took it.
That's a bit like photos taken from the roof of houses accompanied by something along the lines of 'view from potential second storey (STCA).' Which translates as:
1. It hasn't got this view.
2. It hasn't got a second storey
3. The council might let you build a second storey if you have a spare $200k but don't count on it
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:54 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes. I have a thing about doing a warehouse conversion and was just reading one that says, "Council have indicated that they would prefer the property to be used as predominantly residential with the ability for the property to be used as an office/storage use".

Talk about covering all your bases!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
'Deceased Estate'.......like that makes me REALLY want to live there Just Imagine..... 'WHERE exactly do you think he carked it Dear?' as you're turning in for bed
Of course, I'd be in like Flynn if it meant it was going cheap.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Another one I dislike is has "subdivisional potential subject to Council approval" means its possible this will not be forthcoming. I think of this one because there is a house which has just been sold near me and its on five acres and they said that in the ad and I know for a fact they will not be able to subdivide it due to the planning restrictions.

So its a learning curve always find that you can actually do what you would like to do with the property before buying.

Another poor person got caught near us as we are on acreage, he set up his small transport business there, he did not last long, neighbours complained it was contrary to the planning for the land and they ended up having to move.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

I love the description "everything has been done for you" - What has been done for you exactly?!!

We went to see one under that heading that actually had monkey wrenches in place of shower taps, mould growing up the living room walls and a hole smashed in the backdoor window.
So by that can I assume they mean it has already been trashed to save us the bother??!.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 4:49 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

I remember seeing a place advertised with an "inground poo"

I thought thats something you got when you ran out of bog paper!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:47 pm
Auntie Fa

I'm having the most confusing email convo with a realtor.

Me: (via domain online form) How old is the property? Is it a sub-divide - any access issues? Thanks

Him: The property is about 30-40 years old. You cannot subdivide the block because it is a battle axe.

Me: Thanks xyz. I was actually asking if it is already subdivided but I guess battle axe is the same thing, so you've answered my question.

Him: (obviously losing patience) No the block cannot be subdivided. Please email me what you are looking for...

Me: (likewise) I am obviously not making myself clear. Don't worry about it.

Just for future reference, is my understanding correct or not? Or at least, a battle-axe does mean there's at least one property not with direct street access? Ta.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

'The Wow Factor', by that they mean 'Flashy looking fittings that you would never have chosen yourself but we decided we would so we could jack up the price!'
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:13 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It means that a larger block has already been subdivided, and is to the rear of the original larger block. Access is along the boundary of the original block, so the access drive and the subdivision have the plan appearance of an axe head and handle. You are correct, and the realtor is averagely dim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.