Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Brexit the aftermath, did the people of the UK vote correctly ?
Yes
40.95%
No
50.48%
Not more bloody navel gazing for gawd sakes !!!
8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Old Oct 24th 2016, 12:20 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
I think it's quite straight forward really.

May triggers article 50 and then after 2 years of fraught and tortuous negotiations the UK leaves the EU.

Once that has happened things in the UK have changed enough that it is entirely reasonable to rerun the Scottish referendum.

I suspect the SNP then lose again but if they do pull off a surprise win then there are a further 2-10 years of tortuous negotiations before Scotland separates from the UK.

Scotland can then start accession talks with the EU, which will be even more difficult given the Spanish dimension.
Don't think that's how it would run actually.

Instead, my guess is that if May got away with pressing the button, against the expressed will of the other parts of the UK, then all of the other bits of the UK call pretty much immediate referenda on leaving the UK and calling themselves a federated state (call it Celticland). Assuming they get the yes vote then before the 2 years of the article 50 are up, they have voted to leave. They then agree with the EU to be the successor state.

Upshot is, THEY, are then the UK, and don't leave, and England is effectively kicked out.

You can see how Celticland wins out of it. You can also see how the EU wins (shafting England, minimising loss of face).

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
WALES VOTED FOR BREXIT
And my guess is that Wales would fall into line with Celticland, rather than stay with England. Hell, I'm not sure that the City of London wouldn't agree to leave too.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 2:06 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP

Instead, my guess is that if May got away with pressing the button, against the expressed will of the other parts of the UK, then all of the other bits of the UK call pretty much immediate referenda on leaving the UK and calling themselves a federated state (call it Celticland). Assuming they get the yes vote then before the 2 years of the article 50 are up, they have voted to leave. They then agree with the EU to be the successor state.

Upshot is, THEY, are then the UK, and don't leave, and England is effectively kicked out.

You can see how Celticland wins out of it. You can also see how the EU wins (shafting England, minimising loss of face).

And my guess is that Wales would fall into line with Celticland, rather than stay with England. Hell, I'm not sure that the City of London wouldn't agree to leave too.
You're dreaming now.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You are basing this all on the result of another referendum, and if that was to occur, I can't see any of the lands voting for a Brexit a second time round.

Unfortunately there is no further referendum and the result stands. Wales 47 - 53

Onward and upward.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
So was it clear to you on your ballot paper that it was a complete withdrawal from the EU or a partial withdrawal from the EU? Very few people understood how complicated it was going to be to leave the EU and that there could be a hard or soft exit. The ballot paper certainly didn't say do you want to leave the EU but retain membership of the single market? Norway is an example of a country which isn't a member but is part of the single market.

We're now finding that politicians and public servants are being left to thrash out the details. The notion that parliament doesn't have a say in the terms (as David Davis wants) is ludicrous, particularly in view of what we were voting on not being crystal clear. Sure, one can interpret what being out meant - but I can interpret something different.
I have just answered that very question. We voted on a withdrawal from the EU. Not a partial withdrawal. If it had been a partial withdrawal then my ballot paper would have said so. It was crystal clear. It could not have been any clearer.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 4:27 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I personally think the UK has made a mistake by going for Brexit but the people made the choice and now that has to be respected - something that the anti-Brexit crowd on here have conveniently forgotten
It was a referendum, not an election. There is no automatic action and it is non-binding, something that the quitters seem to have conveniently forgotten.

At the end of the day the gov't needs to do what is best for the UK. If brexit will have a negative impact then their job is not to let it happen. Plain and simple...
Old Oct 24th 2016, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
It was a referendum, not an election. There is no automatic action and it is non-binding, something that the quitters seem to have conveniently forgotten.

At the end of the day the gov't needs to do what is best for the UK. If brexit will have a negative impact then their job is not to let it happen. Plain and simple...
They are dead set playing with fire if they dont follow the peoples direction though. I as a slightly remaining empathising fence sitter says and understands this very clearly. That IMO would lead to massive civil unrest, and probably rightly so.

The UK is not a bloody dictatorship under any circumstance.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 24th 2016 at 4:37 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 4:43 pm

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

The will of the people is to have no IHT, world-class healthcare for free, top-notch infrastructure, etc. I'm sure 99% would say scrap the tv licence too. And who would say no to scrapping fuel tax?

Do you see any of these being carried out? Or is the gov't acting against the will of the people and we have been a dictatorship for as long as we can remember?
Old Oct 24th 2016, 4:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

More denial - head in the sand stuff

Why have a referendum if they are not going to honour the decision? It shouldn't have been a 50-50 vote for such an important decision - 60-40 would have been better

Bad move but Brexit is happening, accept it and move on
Old Oct 24th 2016, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu
More denial - head in the sand stuff

Why have a referendum if they are not going to honour the decision? It shouldn't have been a 50-50 vote for such an important decision - 60-40 would have been better

Bad move but Brexit is happening, accept it and move on
Why has it been specifically set up to be legally non-binding (unlike an election where a result automatically triggers an action)?

All the quitters have been calling the EU undemocratic, even though everyone gets an equal say on matters and Malta's vote counts the same as Germany's vote.

Here we have a 2-2 result in the UK, so are we going to be the undemocratic ones and say that England is more important than Scotland or tiny N.E. because we're bigger?

As for the will of the people, almost everyone agrees that a second referendum would see a different result. Meaning that the CURRENT will of the people would see a majority of remain votes. So should we act against what people want TODAY?
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The will of the people is to have no IHT, world-class healthcare for free, top-notch infrastructure, etc. I'm sure 99% would say scrap the tv licence too. And who would say no to scrapping fuel tax?

Do you see any of these being carried out? Or is the gov't acting against the will of the people and we have been a dictatorship for as long as we can remember?
I'm very sure there will be massive unrest if they fail to follow through on this referendum. There will be no civil unrest if they leave.... It's that simple. I as a person that would have probably voted to remain (Although having not lived in the UK for 36 years I dont really know that for sure) understand fully the implications of not following the peoples will .... and in fact would fully support them in any measures they people care to take.

This is about the freedom to express the will in a massively different direction..... You cannot go against that under any circumstance.

Your talking about the crux of democracy in the UK with this particular subject. That has to be upheld at all costs.... no matter what the financial or external political implications for the UK.

Me thinks you've lived under Lee Kuan Yew's patriarchy in Singapore for too long.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 24th 2016 at 5:24 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:21 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
You are basing this all on the result of another referendum, and if that was to occur, I can't see any of the lands voting for a Brexit a second time round.
They would be voting on independence from the England, and staying in the EU. Does anyone seriously think that Scotland, Wales and N Ireland wouldn't vote for that? Particularly since the EU would be bending over backwards to help them in that aim?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm very sure there will be massive unrest if they fail to follow through on this referendum. There will be no civil unrest if they leave.... It's that simple.
There will be civil unrest as a result of the impact of hard brexit. There probably wouldn't be if they just put off the whole thing. It would be a very British compromise.

And don't forget, not only was the referendum non-binding, there was also no statement on when.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Your talking about the crux of democracy in the UK with this particular subject. That has to be upheld at all costs.... no matter what the financial or external political implications for the UK.
I would disagree because the gov't needs to do what is best for the country. That is their job. And democracy is choosing your leaders and representatives.

A lot of people were duped into thinking we'd be better off by leaving. Now that the bubble has burst and reality has set in, people need to be told what will happen and how it could affect them.

You mentioned civil unrest - just imagine what will happen if instead of a rainbow and perfect skies we go into a massive recession that sees job losses, lower earnings, a collapse in investment, London ceasing to be Europe's financial hub, the Pound dropping in value like never before in its history, etc. And then the gov't saying, "we knew this would happen but did it anyway." Civil unrest did you say?

What would probably be best - and should happen once you think about it - is to look at the viable options and do a referendum since one of the choices would probably focus on EEA membership. Offer this as option a) with the understanding that it allows the UK to remain part of the Single Market in return, but at the same time the UK must respect the Four Freedoms. And option b) would probably focus on a "hard brexit" that should clearly spell out the dangers associated with it.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I would disagree because the gov't needs to do what is best for the country. That is their job. And democracy is choosing your leaders and representatives.

A lot of people were duped into thinking we'd be better off by leaving. Now that the bubble has burst and reality has set in, people need to be told what will happen and how it could affect them.

You mentioned civil unrest - just imagine what will happen if instead of a rainbow and perfect skies we go into a massive recession that sees job losses, lower earnings, a collapse in investment, London ceasing to be Europe's financial hub, the Pound dropping in value like never before in its history, etc. And then the gov't saying, "we knew this would happen but did it anyway." Civil unrest did you say?

What would probably be best - and should happen once you think about it - is to look at the viable options and do a referendum since one of the choices would probably focus on EEA membership. Offer this as option a) with the understanding that it allows the UK to remain part of the Single Market in return, but at the same time the UK must respect the Four Freedoms. And option b) would probably focus on a "hard brexit" that should clearly spell out the dangers associated with it.
Just imagine if it didn't happen and the UK became the next Switzerland.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They would be voting on independence from the England, and staying in the EU. Does anyone seriously think that Scotland, Wales and N Ireland wouldn't vote for that? Particularly since the EU would be bending over backwards to help them in that aim?

There will be civil unrest as a result of the impact of hard brexit. There probably wouldn't be if they just put off the whole thing. It would be a very British compromise.

And don't forget, not only was the referendum non-binding, there was also no statement on when.
They can still vote on independence if they want. Different topic and for Scotland, already been done.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've always been a great one for trying to work out the future by looking at the past lessons of history. I dont think any other European country has divorced themselves from Europe more successfully and continuously than the British Isles. It's basically reverting to well entrenched historical form.

I

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.