Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Old Jan 26th 2012, 6:41 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
but our trusty tail kicks in! That is what has so often been the deciding factor in our ascendancy to the No.1 spot
291/8 but it's a useful lead. 70+ lead on this wicket would be good.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 6:46 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

So you would drop a player who has a 50 average, has scored more runs than any other play in the team AND more importantly scored 175 only two tests ago AND 202 not out 5 tests ago AND was the leading run scorer in the last full series he played

....for who exactly?
You do have a point ... there is just something about him that frustrates me ... when he's hot he's great but the failures look like a lack of application and motivation.

A curate's egg.

I guess there is nobody else to take his spot or the England management would have had him out on his ear like the last time they crossed swords.

On balance, I stand corrected.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:06 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
You do have a point ... there is just something about him that frustrates me ... when he's hot he's great but the failures look like a lack of application and motivation.

A curate's egg.

I guess there is nobody else to take his spot or the England management would have had him out on his ear like the last time they crossed swords.

On balance, I stand corrected.
To be honest, if anyone's position should be up for grabs it should be Strauss. His average has been heading south for a long time now and he is very close to flirting with a 30s average! He's not really that great a captain, his best work seems to be in the dressing room, which tells me that really he is just doing the job of an assistant coach. His captaincy style is quite negative really and so far it has not cost us. It's quite comforting to know that we probably have two weak links in our team at the moment (Strauss and Morgan), yet we are still winning, and mostly winning well too.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:11 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Strauss is actually a great captain and a great player. He seems to really be able to motivate his team and that alone is worth a slump in his batting.
Looks like England could be going into the 2nd innings with a lead of 100 if they keep playing as they are, a very valuable lead
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:17 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I think Strauss is actually a great captain and a great player. He seems to really be able to motivate his team and that alone is worth a slump in his batting.
But he could easily do that just as well in a coaching role, rather than taking up a batting position. His batting in the last few years has been pretty bad, especially when you compare him to the performances of the rest of the players. I don't think his fielding positions are that great when we are in the field.

The only reason I would not want him to give up the captaincy is because that would mean it would go to the vice-captain and I wouldn't want that amount of pressure on Cook while he is going so well.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:44 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Cricket Thread

Nice turnaround by Broad, England definitely in control now. The less said about India the better...

Free entry to Adelaide Oval tomorrow. Doesn't quite match the 'they're deliberately stretching it to 5 days so they can squeeze more money out of the punters' theory.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:48 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
291/8 but it's a useful lead. 70+ lead on this wicket would be good.
70 it is, handy and more than I was expecting.

To be honest, if anyone's position should be up for grabs it should be Strauss. His average has been heading south for a long time now and he is very close to flirting with a 30s average! He's not really that great a captain, his best work seems to be in the dressing room, which tells me that really he is just doing the job of an assistant coach. His captaincy style is quite negative really and so far it has not cost us. It's quite comforting to know that we probably have two weak links in our team at the moment (Strauss and Morgan), yet we are still winning, and mostly winning well too.
He hasn't been at his best for sure, who would you replace him with (batsmen and skipper)?
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:21 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

He hasn't been at his best for sure, who would you replace him with (batsmen and skipper)?
You'd have to give the skipper spot to Cook.

As for his batting position. I would probably push Trott up to opener and put Bell at 3.

Nick Compton had a good County 2011, as did Alex Hales.

Not sure how the domestic South African season went, but I am sure there are plenty of alternatives for us in there too
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:58 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Pakistan 29-2, still 41 runs behind
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:59 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: The Cricket Thread

Game to England. Very nice bowling.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 12:08 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Game to England. Very nice bowling.
Pakistan 50 odd ahead at stumps with 6 wickets in hand, going to be an interesting day 4.

England have the edge but it's still close.

Australia meanwhile continue to get the job done ... I see some Indians are complaining that the home crowd are loutish and drunk ... Well, duh
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:01 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Well this is Australia.

Australia meanwhile continue to get the job done ... I see some Indians are complaining that the home crowd are loutish and drunk ... Well, duh
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:38 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

What else is there to do when they are batting, drinking is more inspirational.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 11:26 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by chris955
Well this is Australia.
Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
What else is there to do when they are batting, drinking is more inspirational.
I have had the 'Don't you get bored with watching Australia bat all-comers (England excepted) out of the game?' conversation with the locals, apparently they don't.

I can't remember a day at the Gabba that has been remotely competitive.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 12:03 pm
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: The Cricket Thread

All over. We win by 298 runs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.