Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Comfortably numb......

Comfortably numb......

Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:44 am
It's cos I'm Ginger isn't

GingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to all
Default Re: Comfortably numb......

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It was gorgeous, homemade at some strawberry farm in the north of Tassie - strawberry cheese AND strawberry wine, one of the best tours I ever went on

Keep the temps low till April won't you, I'd like some snow

Wow that did sound like a good tour

Noooooooo no more snow!!!

Do you not get snow over your way?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GingerDom
Wow that did sound like a good tour

Noooooooo no more snow!!!

Do you not get snow over your way?
Naaaaaa not a chance! They get a bit of frost inland sometimes, but nothing here, far too hot for that Plenty of the stuff further south though in winter. I've had snow the last few times I've been home too, I love it
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:50 am

GingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to all

Naaaaaa not a chance! They get a bit of frost inland sometimes, but nothing here, far too hot for that Plenty of the stuff further south though in winter. I've had snow the last few times I've been home too, I love it

I don't mind the snow, but after a few days of it, I am thoroughly sick of it. Especially as my only mode of transport is my cycle and it is hard work in the snow

You keep saying "home", where is that?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:56 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind the snow, but after a few days of it, I am thoroughly sick of it. Especially as my only mode of transport is my cycle and it is hard work in the snow

You keep saying "home", where is that?
Bristol area really - well thats where all my family are and I'm from Somerset originally, with Welsh roots! Best mate is in London but he's on his way to Melbourne shortly anyway so I won't get to spend much more time in London, shame cos its a city I love. Also see Brighton as a kind of home - spent 20 years there before I emigrated over here.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:00 am

Bristol area really - well thats where all my family are and I'm from Somerset originally, with Welsh roots! Best mate is in London but he's on his way to Melbourne shortly anyway so I won't get to spend much more time in London, shame cos its a city I love. Also see Brighton as a kind of home - spent 20 years there before I emigrated over here.

Oh right. I am dating a Somerset Girl - from.....err.........near Bath.

So what made you go to Oz?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:03 am
Home and Happy

Oh right. I am dating a Somerset Girl - from.....err.........near Bath.

So what made you go to Oz?
Nice area, my dad lived in Bath for a while, beautiful city Family are all that end of Bristol so we go there a lot shopping and stuff.

I married a Queenslander..........been here seven and a half years now, divorced, middle-aged, averagely-bitter and determinedly single I'd come home if I could get a job like this over there but there's not much demand for cyclone-watchers in the UK
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:07 am

Nice area, my dad lived in Bath for a while, beautiful city Family are all that end of Bristol so we go there a lot shopping and stuff.

I married a Queenslander..........been here seven and a half years now, divorced, middle-aged, averagely-bitter and determinedly single I'd come home if I could get a job like this over there but there's not much demand for cyclone-watchers in the UK

No I don't suppose there is. But I would change positions with you in a heart beat. I am desperate to get over there....well Perth really to be near my Sister and Family whom emigrated back in 2008.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:15 am
Home and Happy

No I don't suppose there is. But I would change positions with you in a heart beat. I am desperate to get over there....well Perth really to be near my Sister and Family whom emigrated back in 2008.
Weird isn't it, so many people want to be on the other side of the world - whichever side that is
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:20 am

Weird isn't it, so many people want to be on the other side of the world - whichever side that is

It is, but I have good reason to be over there - my sister. I saw her almost every day when she was here, but now I will be lucky if I even hear from her in a month, it is soooooooooo hard to take.

Also I hate the British Climate. I am a sun worshipper, I love it!!!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:24 am
Home and Happy

It is, but I have good reason to be over there - my sister. I saw her almost every day when she was here, but now I will be lucky if I even hear from her in a month, it is soooooooooo hard to take.

My sister and I are probably more in touch now than when i lived back home! Must admit, working nights a lot helps too cos it puts me on the right timezone
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:19 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

1st day of Autumn -

Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:38 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Shopping? For anything I can lay my hands on! Food mostly, especially crisps and twiglets, decent cider, and new clothes, shopping here isn't with the effort so I pack it all into a very short time over there!

Don't miss the Thorntons 'Sale of the Century'

http://www.thorntons.co.uk/c/Sale.html
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:01 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been to Oz only on holiday, tbh found it a pain to have to use sunscreen on every bit of exposed flesh every morning (otherwise back of the legs radiation job after a round of golf etc) - don't even need to do that here! Polly, do you still slip slap slop meticulously after seven years?

Last edited by expatasia; Feb 28th 2011 at 4:43 pm. Reason: Of course 'sunscreen' is one word
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:19 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by scottishcelts

Originally Posted by expatasia
Don't miss the Thorntons 'Sale of the Century'

http://www.thorntons.co.uk/c/Sale.html

Originally Posted by expatasia
I've been to Oz only on holiday, tbh found it a pain to have to put on sun screen on every bit of exposed flesh every morning (otherwise back of the legs radiation job after a round of golf etc) - don't even need to do that here! Polly, do you still slip slap slop meticulously after seven years?
Nope. I don't go out in the sun for more than a few minutes a day, when I do I'm covered up. Can't wear sunscreen cos I'm allergic to it and it brings out my eczema worse than ever - only one I've been able to wear is one Boots used to do but they discontinued it a couple of years back. The most I'm out in it is if I'm walking to/from buses which is about 20 minutes. Working nights and sleeping all day helps, but I honestly am rarely out in it.
I wear jeans all the time when I'm out - I won't go outside in shorts - I know I'll get a from Bernie for this but I don't like the look of my legs so why should I inflict them on anyone else I do wear t-shirts more than I used to, but still often cover my arms up. One of my real hates here is people who say "Ären't you hot wearing all that?" - of course I'm effing hot, but so is everyone else, and if I feel more comfortable in long sleeves and jeans I really don't see that its anyone's business but mine. :curse: :curse:

This is where the so-called Aussie dream starts to get tarnished........without a car I don't go to to the beach (last time I did was I think when the family were here in 2006, and for odd occasions like that I put some on and just suffer the consequences.Don't even go swimming - the only pools I can get to at sensible times have organised "Senior Citizen sessions"or "childrens sessions" "training sessions" etc - I ring up and say I just want to swim and they think I'm nuts, cos I don't fit into a group Even the local gym said I could use the pool only as part of a "structured training programme" - WTF???
Old Mar 1st 2011, 6:39 am

My sister and I are probably more in touch now than when i lived back home! Must admit, working nights a lot helps too cos it puts me on the right timezone

Strange isn't it. You may live down the road from someone and hardly hear from them, and yet, you move to the other side of the World and you would think your were neighbours!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.