Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Britain: an economic train wreck

Britain: an economic train wreck

Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain: an economic train wreck

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Don't worry, Chris will be along soon to tell that all is well, everyone is doing better than ever before and that there will never, ever be recession in Somerset (or whatever Escape to the Country area he lives in).
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:16 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, it was a ludicrous post.

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I agree, it was a ludicrous post.
Bugger my working from home has it's benefits
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:23 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree, I wouldn't work anywhere else

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Bugger my working from home has it's benefits
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:24 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Right where I am now than you
i'm a city boy with big bold ambitions and an active (salt)water lifestyle.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:02 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Zen10
The slowdown in China will affect Australia though, no mistake, Mining is too big in the economy for the whole thing not to take a hit. I worry about Australia becoming addicted to easy money from selling rocks to China, basically.
If you're in your fifties or getting real close I suspect you don't have much to worry about there as you'll be dead by the time it all collapses. If you're younger than that you have a lot to worry about. I think the world, over all, has about 2 "prosperous" business cycles left in the tank and then a 3rd that will be a denial cycle. Then I think there will be a new dark ages ushered in fuelled by debt that will engulf the entire world. So party like it's 2050

Last edited by furbacchione; Jul 26th 2012 at 12:06 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:16 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

by 2050 governments will have taken over businesses and will force people to work so they can continue consuming etc etc
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Australia should have a SWF (using the mining tax) but Gillard has quashed the idea as she would rather use it to prop up the rust-belt states on the east coast (where all the voters are). WA is starting its own.
Hardly. The Liberals and the mining magnates are dead set against it. Even so, Labor have managed to get a watered down version in place. It's only fair that some of the benefits of the mining boom go to the eastern states as their manufacturing and services industries are being hurt be a high dollar due to the boom in the west. When the mining boom eventually crashes the money will start flowing in the other direction, as it has done many times in the past.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:55 pm
Daffyd Duck

Maybe WA should have its own currency.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 5:34 pm
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Maybe WA should have its own currency.
Great idea, what would we call it ? I know...... The Burke or The Hancock
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secessi...tern_Australia

Last edited by Ballys; Jul 26th 2012 at 5:47 pm. Reason: Its late
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:44 pm
Daffyd Duck

the black swan
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

WestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to all

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2012/ju...econ-j26.shtml

Outside the mining sector australia's economy is a journeyman one at best. Mining plays a part but when it gets over 105 of a developed nations economy. a 25-40% reduction and theres 4% off the GDP right there. Is everyone really doing so well in australia right now? My wifes family certainly aren't, which is why we're staying put here in London for the time being with good jobs...
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:26 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furbacchione
If you're in your fifties or getting real close I suspect you don't have much to worry about there as you'll be dead by the time it all collapses. If you're younger than that you have a lot to worry about. I think the world, over all, has about 2 "prosperous" business cycles left in the tank and then a 3rd that will be a denial cycle. Then I think there will be a new dark ages ushered in fuelled by debt that will engulf the entire world. So party like it's 2050
And if you have children of any age then you have lots to worry about because you don't want unpleasant things to happen to them.

I don't agree with your Dark Ages hypothesis. No one can predict the future with any degree of accuracy because there are too many agencies at work. At the moment, it looks like big changes are on way for the EZ - either voluntary exits by various states or even devaluation to parity with USD. This would assist the collapsing PIIGS and help German exports.

US debt - unrepayable. So what does it do? Inflate it away? All the balancing done by Clinton was pissed away by a senseless and semi-religious determined attempt at global domination by Bush. He has cranked the debt up more than even Reagan managed, only this time Obama has not played Clinton to Bush's Reagan and the economy is just getting worse.

I honestly cannot predict US behaviour at the moment. It has lost the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and will fail in its attempt to stop Iran weaponizing its nuclear programme. I know it's just waiting for Assad's regime to collapse in Damascus but after that no idea.

Still, not Dark Ages - remember under the debt there is the same number of human and material resources.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:30 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WestLondonWelshman
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2012/ju...econ-j26.shtml

Outside the mining sector australia's economy is a journeyman one at best. Mining plays a part but when it gets over 105 of a developed nations economy. a 25-40% reduction and theres 4% off the GDP right there. Is everyone really doing so well in australia right now? My wifes family certainly aren't, which is why we're staying put here in London for the time being with good jobs...
The issues is that people like Rinehart who are making $2 million profit an hour object to paying more than 30% tax. If they paid proper tax levels then Australian public services would be like something from the 25th century. Personally, I find Australia's material wealth being dug up and sold to Chinese people for the benefit of a handful of billionaires highly offensive, not to mention bloody irresponsible, but most people won't start the whining and crying about it until it's far too late. If these industries can't be nationalized then at least tax them properly.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:43 pm
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by commonwealth
the black swan
The Gina...hang on wait a minute, she has so much of it she can have her own currency

Last edited by Ballys; Jul 26th 2012 at 10:47 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.