Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Britain: an economic train wreck

Britain: an economic train wreck

Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain: an economic train wreck

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
People have got to learn to do what our grandparents did- tighten their belts and don't buy things on credit. Whatever happened to saving up for your new bed/sofa/plasma tv/car/shoes/computer/phone/or saving a deposit rather than getting a 100% mortgage that you can't afford to pay off? Mend things, don't just throw them away, and if it works don't rush out to buy the shiniest, newest doodad to replace your gadget.

It is profligate spending by the" I want it now" generations, encouraged by the easy availability of money that has got countries into this problem.
As Dickens said, through Mr Micawber (?spelling?) "Income tewnty shillings, expenditure 19 shillings and sixpence, result:happines. Income twenty shillings, expenditure twenty shillings and sixpence, result:misery."
Great post. There are some flaws in your argument re mending gadgets though, most of the time it's actually cheaper to replace.. It is almost certainly beneficial for everyone to go out and buy a laptop and discard their desktop at present, because if you pay circa 400-500 bucks on that Laptop, it will pay for itself in 18/24 months just on electricity savings. Assuming you leave yours on 24/7 for torrent reasons, like myself. Same applies to Cathode Ray TV v LED/LCD's TV's....Plus if one has a salary packaging benefit then it certainly pays to buy things on credit.

In these days of 50months interest free credit, it pays to look for bargains and hugely cut prices rather than saving.... as you may end up paying more than you need to when you've reached your savings goal. Shouldn't be saving anything if one has a mortgage...The funds should all be aimed at that.

Personally I tend to buy as many electronic/white goods as possible in one hit every 12 to 15 years or so... that way you get massive bargaining power....

Biggest waste of money in any family household budget, is the car IMO. I tend to own mine for well over 10 years before replacing them. It does mean driving around in rubbish cars though lol. I'm fairly determined that the next new car I buy... If I ever buy a new vehicle again, will be electric.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 26th 2012 at 2:11 am.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:41 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Americans and Europeans stop buying Chinese tat, China stops needing raw materials, supplier of raw materials is fecked.

tis like a circle. China and Japan need someone to export to.
True to a certain degree and certainly for now, but don't dismiss the Chinese attempts to build its own consumer base. I'm quite negative about China all in all, but its attempt to create a middle class is impressive.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:43 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
People have got to learn to do what our grandparents did- tighten their belts and don't buy things on credit. Whatever happened to saving up for your new bed/sofa/plasma tv/car/shoes/computer/phone/or saving a deposit rather than getting a 100% mortgage that you can't afford to pay off? Mend things, don't just throw them away, and if it works don't rush out to buy the shiniest, newest doodad to replace your gadget.

It is profligate spending by the" I want it now" generations, encouraged by the easy availability of money that has got countries into this problem.
As Dickens said, through Mr Micawber (?spelling?) "Income tewnty shillings, expenditure 19 shillings and sixpence, result:happines. Income twenty shillings, expenditure twenty shillings and sixpence, result:misery."
I was brought up to save first and buy later and I do this now decades later and so will my children. It hurts to have to get a mortgage, but houses have been inflated to such a point that saving for one in advance is now impossible, which is kind of the point if you look at it from a bank's perspective! I saved 75% of my income (we lived on my wife's salary) for four years and we could afford to put down 10% of a house! So in this respect we either rented or were forced to borrow - saving and owning outright was not an option. And it still isn't. We rent now but will have to borrow when we decide to buy.

Last edited by Zen10; Jul 26th 2012 at 2:45 am.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Great post. There are some flaws in your argument re mending gadgets though, most of the time it's actually cheaper to replace
So true. If I can't fix it myself (which I often can) then it's a new one.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 3:03 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Americans and Europeans stop buying Chinese tat, China stops needing raw materials, supplier of raw materials is fecked.

tis like a circle. China and Japan need someone to export to.
tis called the armageddon scenario. but where would you rather be in when it happens?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

By mending, I wasn't just talking about gadgets, but also clothing, and other items. Learn to sew so you can darn your socks, or turn towels into face cloths/ hand towels, or repair that torn sheet or broken zip. Pass on your clothing that is too small. Turn jeans into shorts when the knees wear out, or make a bag out of them. Don't pay someone to take up your trousers- do it yourself.

etc.....
Old Jul 26th 2012, 3:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by commonwealth
tis called the armageddon scenario. but where would you rather be in when it happens?
Australia is one of the best places to be in my view for the reasons I have already written. My current focus is on the EZ, and what happens next. With 25% unemployment in Spain it won't take long before the brighter ones start moving into northern European states looking for work - as they have the right to do.

I notice London has already raised the subject of the emergency clause that allows them to suspend the EU agreements that allow free movement of EU citizens to all states.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

oasisinau is an unknown quantity at this point

Britain's debt fuelled binge of the last few decades created the illusion of wealth.[/QUOTE]

Actually I read it was the squandering of the North Sea Oil by all governments since the early 80's which has led to their downfall. If the revenue was not put into general revenue there would be a 4500B sovereign fund that would have stood the UK in very good stead for years.
This money led to unbridled expenditure which has to be reigned in now, which means public service, benefits, immigration and others have to be curtailed. Simple maths - about 25 yrs of oil income = 180B a year which is coming to a close.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 6:41 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Right where I am now than you

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Old Jul 26th 2012, 7:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oasisinau
Actually I read it was the squandering of the North Sea Oil by all governments since the early 80's which has led to their downfall. If the revenue was not put into general revenue there would be a 4500B sovereign fund that would have stood the UK in very good stead for years.
This money led to unbridled expenditure which has to be reigned in now, which means public service, benefits, immigration and others have to be curtailed. Simple maths - about 25 yrs of oil income = 180B a year which is coming to a close.
Norway saved their share and now have a massive sovereign wealth fund
UK spent their share on the welfare state and now has a mountain of debt

There's a lesson in there somewhere

Last edited by Amazulu; Jul 26th 2012 at 7:55 am.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 7:38 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Norway saved their share and now have a massive sovereign wealth fund
UK spent their share on the welfare state and now have a mountain of debt

There's a lesson in there somewhere
Not forgetting tax cuts.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/e...nue-squandered
Old Jul 26th 2012, 7:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Ballys
Australia should have a SWF (using the mining tax) but Gillard has quashed the idea as she would rather use it to prop up the rust-belt states on the east coast (where all the voters are). WA is starting its own.

Superannuation has many faults, but now Australia has in excess of $1.3 trillion (which is only going to get bigger) for its ageing population.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 7:57 am
Banned

And remember the wages in the industry Norway would have been taxed more highly so more money coming back to the state. As we now know, paying income tax in Britain is regarded as optional by many at the top, and who knows how much we lost this way.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:08 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Zen10
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/economics-blog/2012/mar/29/north-sea-oil-revenue-squandered
As we now know, paying income tax in Britain is regarded as optional by many at the top, and who knows how much we lost this way.
I reckon it ended up here

http://business.mega.mu/2012/07/24/d...en-tax-havens/
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:11 am
Banned

I saw this the other day - shocking, but it explains a few things!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.