Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Britain: an economic train wreck

Britain: an economic train wreck

Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain: an economic train wreck

People have got to learn to do what our grandparents did- tighten their belts and don't buy things on credit. Whatever happened to saving up for your new bed/sofa/plasma tv/car/shoes/computer/phone/or saving a deposit rather than getting a 100% mortgage that you can't afford to pay off? Mend things, don't just throw them away, and if it works don't rush out to buy the shiniest, newest doodad to replace your gadget.

It is profligate spending by the" I want it now" generations, encouraged by the easy availability of money that has got countries into this problem.
As Dickens said, through Mr Micawber (?spelling?) "Income tewnty shillings, expenditure 19 shillings and sixpence, result:happines. Income twenty shillings, expenditure twenty shillings and sixpence, result:misery."
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:37 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the caravan park in Shailer Park ? I only lived there for 11 years so I dont know the area too well
It was somewhere we chose not to live as well and having found the house we have what a fantastic decision that was.

Originally Posted by Kim67
I spent my first night in Brisbane in Shailer Park because we had our two dogs with us and had booked into a caravan park there instead of the serviced apartment in the city my husband's employer had booked. We hightailed it out of there within 12 hours and found alternative accommodation. It's not somewhere I would choose to live.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:39 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come on, wake up you are obviously dreaming, why arent you down at the soup kitchen ?
No, Scotland isnt different to what we are seeing.

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
I started yesterday on my £850/day contract with a UK Oil Co, but also managed to fit in a few hours which will allow me to invoice my Australian Oil Co client. I spent the last few days around Scotland trying to broker a deal for an Audi R8 Spyder and also a flat in Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Let me tell all you UK haters, its not as the media would have you believe. There are more Sport and Executive cars on the road here than Oz, houses are selling, restaurants are busy.
My permanent home is west of Glasgow, and none of the people I know are worried or out of work.

Maybe Scotland is different?
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Where is the caravan park in Shailer Park ? I only lived there for 11 years so I dont know the area too well
It was somewhere we chose not to live as well and having found the house we have what a fantastic decision that was.
I think it closed shortly after we stayed there, it was over 15 years ago. We rented for years in Brisbane and thoroughly checked out the suburbs and made the decision to buy where we did. Our house is not that great, old post war, four bed and a study but only one bathroom and toilet. It's all about location, location for us, not about "the house". Schooling and the environment was one of the essential elements. We sent our eldest to a state school in Eight Mile Plains at one point and ended up putting her into a private school in the city and doing the travelling every day. You can discredit what I say all you like, but it's horses for courses, what you find to be an acceptable standard of living is not the same as the next person. If you were happy in Shailer Park, you have a funny way of showing it from your completely negative responses to all things Australian on this forum.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:48 pm
Banned

Ah it closed, that would explain why I never saw it
I agree about location location, it's pretty hard to beat where we are now

Originally Posted by Kim67
I think it closed shortly after we stayed there, it was over 15 years ago. We rented for years in Brisbane and thoroughly checked out the suburbs and made the decision to buy where we did. Our house is not that great, old post war, four bed and a study but only one bathroom and toilet. It's all about location, location for us, not about "the house". Schooling and the environment was one of the essential elements. We sent our eldest to a state school in Eight Mile Plains at one point and ended up putting her into a private school in the city and doing the travelling every day. You can discredit what I say all you like, but it's horses for courses, what you find to be an acceptable standard of living is not the same as the next person. If you were happy in Shailer Park, you have a funny way of showing it from your completely negative responses to all things Australian on this forum.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
with the same quoted Deloitte report forecasting annual economic growth between 3.0% and 3.4% for the next five years. ironic isn't it?
but economic growth doesn't mean jobs does it?

A mine growing from 30mtpa to 60mtpa only needs a few more staff but will contribute twice the tax. Meanwhile Campbell Newman will have laid off a few mines worth of workers at the drop off a hat.

I'd be interested to know outside of mining and engineering where the new jobs in Australia are coming from. Public sector workers are being laid off everywhere, retail is suffering, house building and associated trades are suffering, tourism is suffering.

Economic growth of 3.4% is fine, but what is causing it?
Old Jul 25th 2012, 10:34 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

i thought the mining boom will end?
Old Jul 25th 2012, 10:38 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

i thought the mining boom will end?
I think the iron ore boom will take a hit but if/when it does then the massive oil and gas projects that are being set up in the NW will step in to take up the slack.

Yes, Aus does have its economic challenges but I reckon it's the best place in the world to be to weather the coming economic apocalypse.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I think the iron ore boom will take a hit but if/when it does then the massive oil and gas projects that are being set up in the NW will step in to take up the slack.

Yes, Aus does have its economic challenges but I reckon it's the best place in the world to be to weather the coming economic apocalypse.
We have to accept things are heading in a bad direction here, on the manufacturing side of things. Victoria is losing jobs at an alarming rate. They just announced on 3AW that 800 jobs in Sydney are going to go at the Caltex refinery. It's time to pull out the infrastructure genie in SE Aus.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 10:49 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
We have to accept things are heading in a bad direction here, on the manufacturing side of things. Victoria is losing jobs at an alarming rate. They just announced on 3AW that 800 jobs in Sydney are going to go at the Caltex refinery. It's time to pull out the infrastructure genie in SE Aus.
i'm not surprised by the closure, its been delayed for at least 2 years now.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 10:56 pm
Daffyd Duck

Originally Posted by chris955
Ah it closed, that would explain why I never saw it
I agree about location location, it's pretty hard to beat where we are now
Agreed. it's pretty hard to beat where we are now
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:16 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
I started yesterday on my £850/day contract

Maybe Scotland is different?
OK for some I guess

The unemployment rate for 16 to 24-year-olds was 94,000, or 23.1%, over January to March.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-18085407

This will not end well
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:28 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

as a matter of perspective the economy of Sydney is bigger than the Australian mining industry

besides, it's not just "rocks" that we sell. we are poised to overtake Qatar as the no.1 exporter of natural gas.
My view is that Australia is in a very favourable position for the foreseeable future, basically because of two simple points - it is a massive country with massive natural resources and it has a very, very small population. However, these things do not mean it is impervious to global upsets and recessions, as the past has shown.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:39 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Australia is almost uniquely positoned thanks to its relatively minimal exposure to European problems, although a general global slowdown will affect it. Europe worries me now. I was relaxed about it until 2/3 months ago but now I'm very negative about the EZ.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Australia is almost uniquely positoned thanks to its relatively minimal exposure to European problems, although a general global slowdown will affect it. Europe worries me now. I was relaxed about it until 2/3 months ago but now I'm very negative about the EZ.
Americans and Europeans stop buying Chinese tat, China stops needing raw materials, supplier of raw materials is fecked.

tis like a circle. China and Japan need someone to export to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.