Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Britain: an economic train wreck

Britain: an economic train wreck

Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:27 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain: an economic train wreck

Originally Posted by commonwealth
money should be invested in active investments not passive ones. i doubt the govt can manage active investments. why not just give it to private businesses and humans in the form of tax cuts?

i'm not very convinced SWFs are the way to go.
I think you're right, lower taxes for all and balanced budgets are the way to go IMO.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:31 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Reply to commonwealth -

Rephrase my earlier post - I don't believe tax cuts are good for economies who don't manufacture their own consumables.

Last edited by Zen10; Jul 27th 2012 at 4:27 am.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:34 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

lets help the poorer countries who manufacture the goods by buying their goods. after all, they buy our minerals and energy. it's a money merry go round which is the idea behind free trade. unfortunately the free trade was derailed by the ****wits of wall street and canary wharf.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
This post highlights how little some people know about mining. The States allow companies to mine the land for a royalty fee which is used to benefit the people living in the state. There is an enormous amount of risk in setting up and operating a mine, hence the massive profits when it pays off. Talk of nationalisation would just leave all the stuff in the ground as no state would gamble billions of tax payer money.
Not doubting you but do you have any examples of companies that invested millions to mine in australia and failed?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

money should be invested in active investments not passive ones. i doubt the govt can manage active investments. why not just give it to private businesses and humans in the form of tax cuts?

i'm not very convinced SWFs are the way to go.
I agree about the tax cuts, and your opinion on SWFs - if we were a low taxed country, but we're not. If a political party was to come along and say that we are going to go to a 20% flat-rate tax for all but that they are going to cut all tax breaks and slash welfare in half, I would vote for them, but they would never get elected. Reason being that too many people have a vested interest in keeping the system as it is, ie taking more out of taxation than they put in.

As we are probably never going to be a low taxed country, we need things like SWFs.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:56 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

So the government shouldn't be building roads, that's stupid. They should be acting as loan sharks to the poor - much more sensible and lucrative.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Not doubting you but do you have any examples of companies that invested millions to mine in australia and failed?
One of many failures

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...e-town/3096986
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:12 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I agree about the tax cuts, and your opinion on SWFs - if we were a low taxed country, but we're not. If a political party was to come along and say that we are going to go to a 20% flat-rate tax for all but that they are going to cut all tax breaks and slash welfare in half, I would vote for them, but they would never get elected. Reason being that too many people have a vested interest in keeping the system as it is, ie taking more out of taxation than they put in.

As we are probably never going to be a low taxed country, we need things like SWFs.
45% top rate is a low taxed country. Check out top rate income tax levels in post war US to now what a high tax country is like.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
45% top rate is a low taxed country.
I disagree. When you take GST, customs duties, CGT, state taxes and duties, fuel levy etc, we are a highly taxed nation. Yes, there are some great tax breaks available, but with a flat-rate system you could do away with them. When 40-odd% of people are taking more out than they put in, the only way to balance the budget is excessive wealth redistribution.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:46 am
Banned

I disagree. When you take GST, customs duties, CGT, state taxes and duties, fuel levy etc, we are a highly taxed nation. Yes, there are some great tax breaks available, but with a flat-rate system you could do away with them. When 40-odd% of people are taking more out than they put in, the only way to balance the budget is excessive wealth redistribution.
But remember stuff like GST is to a certain degree a voluntary tax. You can choose to buy much less and pay less tax. I buy so little stuff most of the time my GST contribution must be a joke. What state taxes and duties are you referring to, incidentally?

I appreciate there was no healthcare levy etc back when Eisenhower was taking 92% of the rich's wages, but even with all the things you mention, the average Australian pays nowhere near 92% of their salary to the state. That is what I call a high tax state and why I don't regard Australia to be a high tax state, or even Britain with its 12% NI. (The rich of course only pay 2% or 1% NI).
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I just got my Joondalup rates, nearly $2500 - wankers! Governments of all persuasion are certainly all good at one thing, stealing your money under penalty of imprisonment.
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
Thanks.

I might be reading it wrong, but it seems there the story is more BHP letting down the local community by making promises and then selling up and shipping out. They still sold the land for hundreds of millions and still have loads of extremely profitable operations in the country.

I know investment in mining needs a lot of capital to invest and there are obviously some risks as with everything but I think to call it 'a gamble' with the amount of money being made there is stretching it.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:49 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Thanks.

I might be reading it wrong, but it seems there the story is more BHP letting down the local community by making promises and then selling up and shipping out. They still sold the land for hundreds of millions and still have loads of extremely profitable operations in the country.

I know investment in mining needs a lot of capital to invest and there are obviously some risks as with everything but I think to call it 'a gamble' with the amount of money being made there is stretching it.
I dunno, it takes ages to bring a mine from exploration into production. Commodity prices can move sufficiently in that time to make it a huge gamble.

The way to hedge is in the futures market but not all miners do this and the ones who do will have much lower profits.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:54 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Could I ask what you think a reasonable total tax bill should be :
  1. For someone in poverty
  2. For someone not well off
  3. Someone on average income
  4. Someone doing well
  5. Someone 'rich'
Just for interest
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by GarryP
Could I ask what you think a reasonable total tax bill should be :
  1. For someone in poverty
  2. For someone not well off
  3. Someone on average income
  4. Someone doing well
  5. Someone 'rich'
Just for interest
Moi?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.