Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Britain: an economic train wreck

Wikiposts

Britain: an economic train wreck

Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:01 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain: an economic train wreck

But if you have that view you are made to feel as though you are lying, living in a bubble or just winding people up.

Originally Posted by louie
Or maybe you just have unlucky friends and family. Don't tar the whole country with the same brush. Where I live, all is well. I can only think of one person in my circle of friends and family who has suffered in the recession and that because he chose to give up a secure job to go into full time education. Took a while to get a job when he finished but he got there in the end.

Whilst I've no doubt there are people struggling, there are very many people, myself included, who have never had it so good, not least because mortgage interest rates are so low we have much more disposable income than ever before.

I'm still planning to scratch the itch that is the move to Australia, but I can't say that the associated serious drop in income doesn't worry me.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
But if you have that view you are made to feel as though you are lying, living in a bubble or just winding people up.
Maybe. I rarely stray into the barbie (bored at work today), but you only have to read a few posts in the main Australia forum to see how polarised people can be about the two countries.

Trouble is that the media, both in the UK and in Australia, loves to kick the UK - good news doesn't sell, sadly. So if what you are fed day in, day out, is how bad things are, you tend to look for the bad things and ignore the good. But my experience (and I run my own business and have done for 15 years) is that things are fine. And today I feel obliged to say so, to try and redress the balance a bit.... speaking as someone who loves both countries.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:00 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree, the Aussie media loves to knock the UK and as you say bizarrely so does the UK media. When you look between the sensational doom and gloom headlines things for the average person really are fine but try convincing some on here that everyone isn't just about managing to feed themselves
Just between us I actually love both countries as well

Originally Posted by louie
Maybe. I rarely stray into the barbie (bored at work today), but you only have to read a few posts in the main Australia forum to see how polarised people can be about the two countries.

Trouble is that the media, both in the UK and in Australia, loves to kick the UK - good news doesn't sell, sadly. So if what you are fed day in, day out, is how bad things are, you tend to look for the bad things and ignore the good. But my experience (and I run my own business and have done for 15 years) is that things are fine. And today I feel obliged to say so, to try and redress the balance a bit.... speaking as someone who loves both countries.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Okay I'll throw this one into the discussion.
I now live back home just outside Glasgow, I am in a similar position to Chris955, having sold up my business and assets' in Oz and taken advantage of the exchange rate.
Now, I walk into any Shopping Centre or Shopping Area any weekend and see people laden with shopping, see people buying electronic goods, see people buying sports-ware.
I also don't know anyone that is worried about losing their job, and I live in an area that relies on public service.
This is despite what the UK Government will tell you about economic growth, and what the media will tell you about bank lending.
So for all the BE economists, can any of you tell me why people have money to spend when they shouldn't have?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:58 am
Banned

I was told I would only see people in supermarkets with hand baskets because they couldnt afford to fill a trolley, seriously.
There are some on here that for whatever reason want to see the UK as a 'collapsed economy'.
I dont know anyone who has changed their habits or lifestyle, I'm sorry if that doesnt fit into the mould they imagine the UK is now but there you go.
I'm not going to apologise for being mortgage free or for being comfortable or for not seeing the Daily Mail doom and gloom. If people are happy living in Australia I am very happy for them, if it helps them to think the UK is going down the drain well I guess whatever helps you sleep at night.

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
I now live back home just outside Glasgow, I am in a similar position to Chris955, having sold up my business and assets' in Oz and taken advantage of the exchange rate.
Now, I walk into any Shopping Centre or Shopping Area any weekend and see people laden with shopping, see people buying electronic goods, see people buying sports-ware.
I also don't know anyone that is worried about losing their job, and I live in an area that relies on public service.
This is despite what the UK Government will tell you about economic growth, and what the media will tell you about bank lending.
So for all the BE economists, can any of you tell me why people have money to spend when they shouldn't have?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:05 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

how do we know it's not all funded by debt or by money printed by the BoE?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:06 am
Banned

Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

What I actually want, is the BE Economists who regularily let us know why the UK is in such a problem, to explain to me how I can see people spending money in the UK.
That's all.

Over to you BE Financial Experts.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Don't be a twat
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:08 am
Banned

Dont worry, I dont think you will have to wait long.

What I actually want, is the BE Economists who regularily let us know why the UK is in such a problem, to explain to me how I can see people spending money in the UK.
That's all.

Over to you BE Financial Experts.
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Credit is extremely hard to come by now in the Great United Kingdom.
Banned

I think you might have to give him a simpler challenge.

Don't be a twat
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Or how I said it
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
That's not what I find. The only problem is that I don't need it.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by isgraham
That's not what I find. The only problem is that I don't need it.
Prove it.
That will then allow the BE Economists to tell us why people aren't spending if money is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.