Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Britain: an economic train wreck

Britain: an economic train wreck

Old Aug 8th 2012, 10:30 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain: an economic train wreck

Originally Posted by chris955
Seriously I couldnt really care less what some people on an anonymous internet forum think of me, if it makes you happy go for it, honestly
I actually enjoy debating with you, but it occurs to me that I have been seeing your posts as a defence of the UK standard of living, but now I'm see them as a defence of your personal life in your bubble, which is fine. You personally have found happiness thanks to the strong Australian dollar and the economic collapse in the UK that combined to enable you to cash out and go mortgage free, so that's fine, but to argue that the entire UK is in a more solid position or has a bright er future is frankly ridiculous, at least for the moment.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 10:34 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Don't be a twat
but I am a twat

please refer to my forum signature
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay I'll throw this one into the discussion.
I now live back home just outside Glasgow, I am in a similar position to Chris955, having sold up my business and assets' in Oz and taken advantage of the exchange rate.
Now, I walk into any Shopping Centre or Shopping Area any weekend and see people laden with shopping, see people buying electronic goods, see people buying sports-ware.
I also don't know anyone that is worried about losing their job, and I live in an area that relies on public service.
This is despite what the UK Government will tell you about economic growth, and what the media will tell you about bank lending.
So for all the BE economists, can any of you tell me why people have money to spend when they shouldn't have?
because interest rates are at record lows and will be for a while, savers are being punished at the expense of the feckless. Provi still provide loans
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:39 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
because interest rates are at record lows and will be for a while, savers are being punished at the expense of the feckless. Provi still provide loans
According to Sidney Homer's A History of Interest Rates, referenced in this article

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/312bf...#axzz22zmF76lg

long-term interest rates are as low as they have been since Babylonian times and yet the economies are still flat-lining, or worse. Deflation?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:44 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

What I actually want, is the BE Economists who regularily let us know why the UK is in such a problem, to explain to me how I can see people spending money in the UK.

Over to you BE Financial Experts.
I'll explain it to you in simple terms which (hopefully) you can understand.

I have no idea where you live, but for the purposes of this example I will assume you live in Bearsden, population 27,967 according to wikipedia. Perhaps you walk to the shops and this is what you see.

However, Bearsden is just a small place outside Glasgow, a much bigger place. Population, 598,830.

And Glasgow is a small city in the United Kingdom. Population = over 62,500,000.

In very simple terms, yes you can see people spending money. But can you see past the end of your own nose?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I'll explain it to you in simple terms which (hopefully) you can understand.

I have no idea where you live, but for the purposes of this example I will assume you live in Bearsden, population 27,967 according to wikipedia. Perhaps you walk to the shops and this is what you see.

However, Bearsden is just a small place outside Glasgow, a much bigger place. Population, 598,830.

And Glasgow is a small city in the United Kingdom. Population = over 62,500,000.

In very simple terms, yes you can see people spending money. But can you see past the end of your own nose?
That would explain it, Bearsden is awfully posh don't you know. However I have to say that of the several hundred people I know in the Glasgow area, none of them have been made redundant.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bingobob777
That would explain it, Bearsden is awfully posh don't you know. However I have to say that of the several hundred people I know in the Glasgow area, none of them have been made redundant.
Say you "know" 500 people. This 0.02% of Glasgow, and 0.0008% of the UK.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Say you "know" 500 people. This 0.02% of Glasgow, and 0.0008% of the UK.
Thats an awfully large number of people to have slept with... Even by MY standards...

Oh... We werent talking the Biblical "know" then?

Oops my bad
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by eddie007
Thats an awfully large number of people to have slept with... Even by MY standards...

Oops my bad
I believe I will have to refer you to bingobob for further information pertaining to the level of intimacy with regards to the hundreds of people he knows in the Glasgow environs!
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:08 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007

Oops my bad
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:10 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I believe I will have to refer you to bingobob for further information pertaining to the level of intimacy with regards to the hundreds of people he knows in the Glasgow environs!
They call him the "Julio Iglesias of Glasgow" didn't you know?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:15 pm
Banned

Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

cant he sing either?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:43 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

in the meantime, oz retailers are suffering!
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by commonwealth
in the meantime, oz retailers are suffering!
Seems to me the likes of Gerry Harvey have got used to very fat profits over the years and now they have to compete with the world via internet shopping they don't like it and talk about suffering. The consumer who can buy a $$$ purchase from Harvey for $ from a store in the UK or US isn't suffering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.