Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Britain: an economic train wreck

Britain: an economic train wreck

Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain: an economic train wreck

Originally Posted by Budawang
Hmm, the Australian economy is currently growing at around 4%. We are in a far better situation than the UK. In the first quarter Australia's GDP increased by an annualised 4.3% versus the UK's decline of 0.8%. That's a huge divergence. The latest quarter is even worse for the UK.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/growt...606-1zvcf.html

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/gdp-...ist-by-country
Australia's mining boom forecast to end in two years. If that happens it may change things quite a lot.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:33 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Australia's mining boom forecast to end in two years. If that happens it may change things quite a lot.
with the same quoted Deloitte report forecasting annual economic growth between 3.0% and 3.4% for the next five years. ironic isn't it?

"There's still enough gas in the tank of huge resource projects to provide handy pipeline protection if Europe were to turn pear-shaped," Mr Richardson said.

He said Australia's outlook depended on neither Europe nor China generating worse news than expected.

The outlook remained better than most people realised, he said.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:38 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
The slowdown in China will affect Australia though, no mistake, Mining is too big in the economy for the whole thing not to take a hit. I worry about Australia becoming addicted to easy money from selling rocks to China, basically.
as a matter of perspective the economy of Sydney is bigger than the Australian mining industry

besides, it's not just "rocks" that we sell. we are poised to overtake Qatar as the no.1 exporter of natural gas.

Last edited by commonwealth; Jul 25th 2012 at 1:42 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:49 pm
Daffyd Duck

interesting article about the Chinese steel industry. they're taking over the world. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...mmodities.html

now where do the Chinese buy their raw materials from . . .

-=oOo=-

Commonwealth Bank's chief currency strategist Richard Grace got a feisty reply after raising his concerns over Australia's over-dependence on China as an export market.
Grace said it was concerning that ''60 per cent of those exports are in one commodity: iron ore''. Glenn Stevens then asked: ''Is there anything you can suggest that may insulate the Australian economy from that particular risk?''
Stevens: ''I don't think people would suggest that Saudi Arabia shouldn't export oil because that's all they have.''

Last edited by commonwealth; Jul 25th 2012 at 1:53 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:52 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
Ouch, news just out that the UK's economy contracted much more the expected in the second quarter - down 0.7% following declines in the preceding two quarters.

Britain is in the midst of a decade or two of private debt de-leveraging which will see it move in and out of recession for most of that time thanks to the staggering level of private debt in the UK. A major default, on the scale of Lehman Brothers, is a distinct possibility unless something radical is done.

We're going to be seeing a lot more Britons trying to migrate here in the next few years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...ock-0.7pc.html
Don't worry, Chris will be along soon to tell that all is well, everyone is doing better than ever before and that there will never, ever be recession in Somerset (or whatever Escape to the Country area he lives in).
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
The slowdown in China will affect Australia though, no mistake, Mining is too big in the economy for the whole thing not to take a hit. I worry about Australia becoming addicted to easy money from selling rocks to China, basically.
Sure mining is big here and we get hit when commodity prices fall. However, the Australian dollar is highly responsive to commodity cycles which acts as a buffer. Furthermore, if there is a major economic downturn in China the government there is likely dig into its deep pockets to stimulate their economy through investing in infrastructure which should support commodity prices to some extent.

Britain's economy is very dependent on financial services which, frankly, are pretty toxic these days. In fact, some people consider the financial sector to be up to their necks in some of the biggest ponzi schemes in history. Britain's debt fuelled binge of the last few decades created the illusion of wealth.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:27 pm
Daffyd Duck

selling physical rocks is better than selling imaginary paper profits
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:04 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but it makes people feel all warm and fuzzy to read about the 'train wreck' in the country they left behind.
I left area in Australia that had 9% unemployment and am now in an area with 4.3% unemployment. If you are in mining I would suspect you don't see the rising prices and the fact that more and more people are relying on charity. Whatever helps people sleep at night I guess.
Of course I'm not allowed to say our friends are still doing fine and the people we have met in the village seem to be just fine

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Come on, let's face it ALL countries are in ecconomic difficulties, so why should people want to swap one crisis for another.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:08 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't say that, didn't you know that everyone is earning $70,000 a year and only works 4 hours a day then bugger off down to the beach

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Why?

Unless you work in mining or engineering there's sod all here either.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Yeah but it makes people feel all warm and fuzzy to read about the 'train wreck' in the country they left behind.
I left area in Australia that had 9% unemployment and am now in an area with 4.3% unemployment. If you are in mining I would suspect you don't see the rising prices and the fact that more and more people are relying on charity. Whatever helps people sleep at night I guess.
Of course I'm not allowed to say our friends are still doing fine and the people we have met in the village seem to be just fine
Therein lies your problem, you're never comparing apples with apples when you compare your life in Australia to your life in the UK. You must have lived in a real bogan hole here from the way you've spoken previously, that's not Australia, that's the bogan crap hole suburb you lived in.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:39 pm
Banned

I must admit I have never heard Shailer Park referred to as a bogan crap hole

Originally Posted by Kim67
Therein lies your problem, you're never comparing apples with apples when you compare your life in Australia to your life in the UK. You must have lived in a real bogan hole here from the way you've spoken previously, that's not Australia, that's the bogan crap hole suburb you lived in.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:54 pm
Daffyd Duck

yeah rite mr osbourne
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:56 pm
Daffyd Duck

i'd love to see more euro men coming to oz.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I must admit I have never heard Shailer Park referred to as a bogan crap hole
I spent my first night in Brisbane in Shailer Park because we had our two dogs with us and had booked into a caravan park there instead of the serviced apartment in the city my husband's employer had booked. We hightailed it out of there within 12 hours and found alternative accommodation. It's not somewhere I would choose to live.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

I started yesterday on my £850/day contract with a UK Oil Co, but also managed to fit in a few hours which will allow me to invoice my Australian Oil Co client. I spent the last few days around Scotland trying to broker a deal for an Audi R8 Spyder and also a flat in Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Let me tell all you UK haters, its not as the media would have you believe. There are more Sport and Executive cars on the road here than Oz, houses are selling, restaurants are busy.
My permanent home is west of Glasgow, and none of the people I know are worried or out of work.

Maybe Scotland is different?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.