The Beatles

Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Beatles

Originally Posted by viviennef
who cares about hypocrisy though? Its an ideal, a wish - most songs do not represent the artist's true persona.
I heard a comedian one time run through the consequences of actually carrying out the lyrics of 'Imagine'. It was very funny, we'd all be dead, and a few psychopaths would be running whats left of the world.

I'm sure thats not what John Lennon was aiming for.

If I had time I'd look it up for you, but its on youtube, something like 'If Imagine really happened'.

JTL
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:28 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I heard a comedian one time run through the consequences of actually carrying out the lyrics of 'Imagine'. It was very funny, we'd all be dead, and a few psychopaths would be running whats left of the world.

I'm sure thats not what John Lennon was aiming for.

If I had time I'd look it up for you, but its on youtube, something like 'If Imagine really happened'.

JTL
Yep, one of the worst songs ever written.

Lennon was a tool.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:32 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yep, one of the worst songs ever written.

Lennon was a tool.
Why, because he wrote one dodgy song?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Wrote more than one! Him being a tool isn't just because of some songs, more to do with him and some of his life choices and actions. (IMO anyway).
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:47 pm
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Just so as you are aware, saying ''The Beatles are crap'' or ''they were just lucky'' or some such nonsense is no different to saying ''I know nothing at all about popular music''. They are identical statements in meaning.

Most songwriters will never write a song like Yesterday, Ticket To Ride, In My Life, Eleanor Rigby, Strawberry Fields Forever, And I Love Her, The Fool On The Hill, Hey Jude, I Am The Walrus etc etc etc etc etc etc in their entire careers. Lennon/McCartney each wrote dozens of classics whilst still only in their twenties.

Saying that they were ''rubbish as solo artists'' is also silly. Both struggled to maintain the same standard once they didn't have the other to compete with any more but they still wrote good songs. Lennon especially wrote great stuff post-Beatles, but became fixated on Yoko/fighting the US government/having a Lost Weekend/being a Dad to Sean etc etc etc.

Saying ''The Beatles are no good'' is the same as saying that there is nothing thought-provoking in the works of Shakespeare.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:48 pm
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Noting that there are some pro-Australia types here slagging off The Beatles. Wonder if there's something significant in that.................................

Something about cultural redundancy perhaps.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
No, it was because most of what came out of his mouth was pure shite - as well as a lot of the things he did.

A vastly overrated individual.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:56 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Wrote more than one! Him being a tool isn't just because of some songs, more to do with him and some of his life choices and actions. (IMO anyway).
Yeah suppose, he was defo a tool in his choice of wife I have to say.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by viviennef
I love the beatles. But I really wish I didnt name my son Jude - now all of us sing it constantly without meaning to. And call him Judy judy judy judy ahhhhhh
My son's Jude as well. I sing Judy Judy Judy Judy to him all the time. He's only 2 but I bet he'll hate the beatles by the time he grows up
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mono
Just so as you are aware, saying ''The Beatles are crap'' or ''they were just lucky'' or some such nonsense is no different to saying ''I know nothing at all about popular music''. They are identical statements in meaning.
Err, no they're not. They are a matter of personal opinion. If that disagrees with yours, it doesn't make them wrong, it makes them different. Deal with the fact that people have their own feelings and opinions on everything and that no one is wrong and no one is right in having those opinions.

As for the pro Australian bit, I'm confused because I am as equally pro UK as I am Australian, so not sure where that puts me, other than in a very happy place.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:35 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Noting that there are some pro-Australia types here slagging off The Beatles. Wonder if there's something significant in that.................................

Something about cultural redundancy perhaps.
Nothing significant Will, just a coincidence.

He, BTW you weren't here to see how well you did in the 2009 BE Awards. Congrats on that
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Lennon especially wrote great stuff post-Beatles, but became fixated on Yoko/fighting the US government/having a Lost Weekend/being a Dad to Sean etc etc etc.
Damn! You've just reminded me of John Lennons most frustrating song, 'Oh Yoko'.

Its a very catchy song, but did he have to write it about her? When all she came up with was pretentious crap.

Why didn't he just do a monologue in an echoey room, and then say 'yes' at the end of it. Thats how he fell in love with her. At her art exhibition there was a ladder, and if you climbed the ladder to see what was written on the ceiling, it said 'yes'

Instead he wrote a bloody good song! He was a wasted talent. One way by a wife who distracted him, and then being killed when he was getting creative again.

JTL
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:16 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Imagine is crap, I hate it. So hypocritical considering how he lived, totally colours it for me.

You might hate it and that's fair enough but I think you've missed the whole of his point. He wasn't saying why don't you all imagine yourselves without money and possessions while I take you all to the cleaners for the royalties. He was saying imagine how good it would be without Gods, money, countries, skin colour, race and possessions for EVERYONE, himself included.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:18 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Interestingly, those 3 songs that you quote were actually almost exclusively written by McCartney and not Lennon
I am the walrus is solely Lennon's song
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley
You might hate it and that's fair enough but I think you've missed the whole of his point. He wasn't saying why don't you all imagine yourselves without money and possessions while I take you all to the cleaners for the royalties. He was saying imagine how good it would be without Gods, money, countries, skin colour, race and possessions for EVERYONE, himself included.
I couldn't 'imagine' a worse world.

It's a shite song.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.