Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian Republic?

Australian Republic?

Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:00 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Republic?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's it Indonesia's own interest to keep Australia as it is... a close by political bridge to the slowly diminishing west. Meantime Australia will strengthen it's ties with the more powerful countries in Asia... China, Korea, and Japan, all of whom have a vested intereste in a stable and non moslim Australia.

Personally It's my theory, could be well wrong, that if Australia were really threated, the middle of Aus would open up like a thunderbird set... couresty of the good old USA. I could be well wrong on that one... but it wouldnt surprise me at all. The real test of the future of Aus, is it's ties with America... I can see it having to choose it's alliances very carefully in around 30-50 years.
which ever way it goes , the fact is its a small country economically and population wise . Its going to have to suck up to somebody so its got some clout , my bet is on the states .
Then instead of being ermmmm part of the perceived colonial empire [lol] of britain ,itll just be another puppet for the All encompassing american feeding machine that is surpresseing the world with all its greed and crass culture .Still it will be its own puppet but it wont be pulling its own strings .
Old Nov 10th 2009, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Brav
Since I'm not British I'm ignorant on this subject, however, would Australia still remain a Commonwealth should it choose to become a republic?
Mozambique is a member of the Commonwealth. Go figure.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Ever since the UK started to look to Europe rather than the Commonwealth, is the day that Australia had to fend for itself. Twas the UK that severed the alliance not the other way around.
I'm not so sure about that. Aus increased (doubled) the tariffs on British imports prior to the UK joining the EEC. This was also a time when the UK was rapidly descending into 3rd World Status (i.e. begging to the IMF). The UK had little choice but to join the EEC* which wasn't exactly welcoming them with open arms (see De Gaul). I know it's a popular Aussie view that they were dumped by the UK but you could quite easily say that the UK was dumped by Aus. The reality was probably somewhere in the middle.

* One of the reasons the UK jointed EFTA and not the EEC was because they wanted to continue trading unfettered with the Commonwealth.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Nov 10th 2009 at 7:52 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I'm not so sure about that. Aus increased (doubled) the tariffs on British imports prior to the UK joining the EEC. This was also a time when the UK was rapidly descending into 3rd World Status (i.e. begging to the IMF). The UK had little choice but to join the EEC* which wasn't exactly welcoming them with open arms (see De Gaul). I know it's a popular Aussie view that they were dumped by the UK but you could quite easily say that the UK was dumped by Aus. The reality was probably somewhere in the middle.

* One of the reasons the UK jointed EFTA and not the EEC was because they wanted to continue trading unfettered with the Commonwealth.
The referendum to join the EEC back in the 70's was my first ever chance to vote. I actually voted to join. From memory the UK had two failed requests to join before. I remember the headlines with a De Gaul picture and the words NON. Which probably had the effect of the having the UK feeling very isolated from it's close by and seemingly doing very well Neighbours.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

The referendum to join the EEC back in the 70's was my first ever chance to vote. I actually voted to join. From memory the UK had two failed requests to join before. I remember the headlines with a De Gaul picture and the words NON. Which probably had the effect of the having the UK feeling very isolated from it's close by and seemingly doing very well Neighbours.
The EFTA thing was funny. At the time the UK quite childishly claimed that the EEC members would be begging to join them.

How many people have ever heard of EFTA?
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The EFTA thing was funny. At the time the UK quite childishly claimed that the EEC members would be begging to join them.

How many people have ever heard of EFTA?
Just guessing, without looking it up.... European Free Trade Agreement ?

Which may mean it's been absorbed deep within the bowels of my memory... or just an obvious guess. Can't remember a thing about it though.

Back to a previous post.

King Kong feels that Australia will have to have a much larger population and economic base before it fills it's shoes. I'm fairly confident that there will be well over 60 million (Around the same figure as the UK's current population, which seems to have remained fairly steady for years) within the next 50 years, I can see migrants from China, India and other Asian countries being the main thrust of newcomers to this country during this period.... In fact thats a geographical and politically expedient certainty.

So within 4-5 generations almost all of our offspring should have a varying degree of Asian blood running in their veins. So to those coming to this country to get away from migrants... take particular note.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:20 am
Account Closed

Which may mean it's been absorbed deep within the bowels of my memory... or just an obvious guess. Can't remember a thing about it though.

Back to a previous post.

King Kong feels that Australia will have to have a much larger population and economic base before it fills it's shoes. I'm fairly confident that there will be well over 60 million (Around the same figure as the UK's current population, which seems to have remained fairly steady for years) within the next 50 years, I can see migrants from China, India and other Asian countries being the main thrust of newcomers to this country during this period.... In fact thats a geographical and politically expedient certainty.

So within 4-5 generations almost all of our offspring should have a varying degree of Asian blood running in their veins. So to those coming to this country to get away from migrants... take particular note.
Association.

It has dwindled down to 4 members now, 1 of which is that economic powerhouse Liechtenstein. Iceland was planning to leave for the EU but may be having second thoughts now the UK has decided it's a terrorist organisation
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:34 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Back to a previous post.

i do and i agree with what you say . All the brits will be running around with little black faces and big white teeth , might be a bit unpalatable for some migrants considering its one of the major complaints about the uk .