British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Australian Republic? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/australian-republic-639835/)

balkanghost Nov 9th 2009 4:29 pm

Australian Republic?

"We are not British - that's why a republic is so important. Independence is about taking pride in our unique culture. THE 10th anniversary of the referendum reminded me that I should dust off the old ''Young Australians for a Republic'' banner in the shed and drop it off at the national archives."

When is going to happen?

Fleaflyfloflum Nov 9th 2009 5:34 pm

Re: Australian Republic?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

livinginreality Nov 9th 2009 6:15 pm

That topic has been bandied around more years than I can to remember,I've been in the UK for 10 years now and they were talking about it before I left,yep its all old hat!Are the pollies bored?

Centurion Nov 9th 2009 6:29 pm

Since the Prime Minister and leader of the opposition are both republican supporters and made it clear that they are in no hurry to do anything at all whilst Queen Elizabeth is on the throne, I suspect not until she passes away.

emelems Nov 9th 2009 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 8084718)
Since the Prime Minister and leader of the opposition are both republican supporters and made it clear that they are in no hurry to do anything at all whilst Queen Elizabeth is on the throne, I suspect not until she passes away.

I can't see the UK letting Australia go republic even after that happens..

Em x

Vash the Stampede Nov 9th 2009 6:58 pm

Can't happen soon enough for me. Rudd needs to get the ball rolling. Now.

MartinLuther Nov 9th 2009 7:25 pm

Yes please.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Nov 9th 2009 9:10 pm

Just what Australia needs... yet another layer of politicians.

Vash the Stampede Nov 9th 2009 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8085115)
Just what Australia needs... yet another layer of politicians.

It would give us one additional position at most - a president. And at least we wouldn't have a House of Lords.

johnnyx0 Nov 9th 2009 10:18 pm

I can't see the UK giving more than a passing fig if Australia wanted to become a Republic. What difference would it make to the UK, really?

The Guv'ner General would have to go home, but thats a pointless position anyway. Biggest changes would be that we'd lose a day off (Queens birthday) and they'd have to change all the coins and $5 notes. Maybe why they don't want to do anything before QE2 pops off when they'd have to start minting new coins anyway. Can't really blame anyone for not wanted Charles' mug on their coinage.....

But before Australia can become a republic they need to come up with a better idea for a new flag that a Boxing Kangaroo (classy, huh?)

Brav Nov 9th 2009 10:32 pm

Since I'm not British I'm ignorant on this subject, however, would Australia still remain a Commonwealth should it choose to become a republic?

iamthecreaturefromuranus Nov 9th 2009 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 8085241)
It would give us one additional position at most - a president. And at least we wouldn't have a House of Lords.

"It would give you one additional position at most"

...and how much backup/entourage would that post start to acquire?.
How much would it be a direct rival to the Prime Minister?.
As for the House of Lords... isn't that still Australia's highest legal court?.

Mr Grumpy Nov 9th 2009 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8085348)
"It would give you one additional position at most"

...and how much backup/entourage would that post start to acquire?.
How much would it be a direct rival to the Prime Minister?.
As for the House of Lords... isn't that still Australia's highest legal court?.

No The Australia Act of 1986 100% severed all legal connections to the British Parliament.

The only remaining connection is through the Head of State/Sovereign. As we all know Sovereign and Parliament are 2 separate legal/political entities.

Amazulu Nov 9th 2009 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by emelems (Post 8084738)
I can't see the UK letting Australia go republic even after that happens..

Em x

How would/could they prevent it?

Amazulu Nov 9th 2009 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Brav (Post 8085344)
Since I'm not British I'm ignorant on this subject, however, would Australia still remain a Commonwealth should it choose to become a republic?

If they wanted to - which they probably would.