Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian Republic?

Australian Republic?

Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:29 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough
Default Australian Republic?

"We are not British - that's why a republic is so important. Independence is about taking pride in our unique culture. THE 10th anniversary of the referendum reminded me that I should dust off the old ''Young Australians for a Republic'' banner in the shed and drop it off at the national archives."

When is going to happen?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:34 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Republic?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

That topic has been bandied around more years than I can to remember,I've been in the UK for 10 years now and they were talking about it before I left,yep its all old hat!Are the pollies bored?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:29 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Since the Prime Minister and leader of the opposition are both republican supporters and made it clear that they are in no hurry to do anything at all whilst Queen Elizabeth is on the throne, I suspect not until she passes away.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
Since the Prime Minister and leader of the opposition are both republican supporters and made it clear that they are in no hurry to do anything at all whilst Queen Elizabeth is on the throne, I suspect not until she passes away.
I can't see the UK letting Australia go republic even after that happens..

Em x
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Australian Republic?

Can't happen soon enough for me. Rudd needs to get the ball rolling. Now.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes please.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Just what Australia needs... yet another layer of politicians.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:53 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Australian Republic?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Just what Australia needs... yet another layer of politicians.
It would give us one additional position at most - a president. And at least we wouldn't have a House of Lords.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:18 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

I can't see the UK giving more than a passing fig if Australia wanted to become a Republic. What difference would it make to the UK, really?

The Guv'ner General would have to go home, but thats a pointless position anyway. Biggest changes would be that we'd lose a day off (Queens birthday) and they'd have to change all the coins and $5 notes. Maybe why they don't want to do anything before QE2 pops off when they'd have to start minting new coins anyway. Can't really blame anyone for not wanted Charles' mug on their coinage.....

But before Australia can become a republic they need to come up with a better idea for a new flag that a Boxing Kangaroo (classy, huh?)
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all

Since I'm not British I'm ignorant on this subject, however, would Australia still remain a Commonwealth should it choose to become a republic?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It would give us one additional position at most - a president. And at least we wouldn't have a House of Lords.

"It would give you one additional position at most"

...and how much backup/entourage would that post start to acquire?.
How much would it be a direct rival to the Prime Minister?.
As for the House of Lords... isn't that still Australia's highest legal court?.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
"It would give you one additional position at most"

...and how much backup/entourage would that post start to acquire?.
How much would it be a direct rival to the Prime Minister?.
As for the House of Lords... isn't that still Australia's highest legal court?.
No The Australia Act of 1986 100% severed all legal connections to the British Parliament.

The only remaining connection is through the Head of State/Sovereign. As we all know Sovereign and Parliament are 2 separate legal/political entities.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
I can't see the UK letting Australia go republic even after that happens..

Em x
How would/could they prevent it?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brav
Since I'm not British I'm ignorant on this subject, however, would Australia still remain a Commonwealth should it choose to become a republic?
If they wanted to - which they probably would.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.