Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian Republic?

Australian Republic?

Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:40 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Republic?

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
70 minutes work for ten kids? Ah, you're including foreplay.....
no foreplay , thats extra .
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:44 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
just think of the family allowance , a man would never have to work and for 70 minutes of work he has set himself up for life . sounds like a plan for future migrants
Ha ha so true,reminds me of the so called Irish freedom fighter's i went to school with who were adamant the brits should leave Ireland,but claimed everything thing they could off the brit gov,you name it they claimed it
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:04 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

well i think australia is certainly the most over governed nation in the western world . Beheading of most of them would save a heap on our slavings .
Did you leave Switzerland out of the Western World then?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
And Germany.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:33 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Of course. There are plenty of republics in the Commonwealth.

No more than the PM. It would certainly cost a lot less than paying for the House of Lords.

It wouldn't. The role of president is not a political one.

She probably did!

This assumes that they don't decide to move for an executive president like the USA has.

My feelings tell me that people wouldn't stand for an appointed Head of State, and that we would inevitably end up by spending a monstrous waste of money in electing somebody that has no opportunity to do anything.

I also think that a lot of people wouldn't understand the difference between a non-executive and an executive president, and would expect to see the new president doing something political...

S
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:09 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australian Republic?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
This assumes that they don't decide to move for an executive president like the USA has.
Since that would involve the abolition of the Prime Minister, we'd still be left with a single role. So no additional expense there; just the replacement of one guy with another.

My feelings tell me that people wouldn't stand for an appointed Head of State, and that we would inevitably end up by spending a monstrous waste of money in electing somebody that has no opportunity to do anything.
We already have an appointed head of state, so I don't think Australians would care very much at all.

I also think that a lot of people wouldn't understand the difference between a non-executive and an executive president, and would expect to see the new president doing something political...

S
I think Australians already understand that difference. After all, we've had more than 100 years of the British monarchy doing sod all for our country, despite the fact that the British monarch is our head of state.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:19 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

But it wouldn't be an extra layer. Replace the GG with a president. Get rid of the Monarch and get rid of the State Governors, they're not needed any more.
So we have a President. Elected or appointed?. If elected then surely 'power' would begin to flow in the direction of the new role... otherwise it would be a pointless position. If its a pointless/powerless role then that's what's already in place.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:25 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

is switzerland part of the western world ? i thought it was a bank
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:59 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Your correct. Thats what happened 10 years ago. Its not as simple as saying that back then people didnt want a republic, they did. However, the referendum question which was asked was something entirely different.

The question asked was whether Australia should become a republic with a head of state appointed by the government. Deliberately loaded many would argue by declared Royalist Johnny H. Were it a President appointed by the people that would be something else entirely I think.

Of course that said, I have a feeling that 10 years on quite a few more of the grey army will have shed this mortal coil and with a new generation of younger voters even that proposal might swing nowadays.

That and nobody wants a King Charles or his dodgy organic biscuits
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:44 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
So we have a President. Elected or appointed?. If elected then surely 'power' would begin to flow in the direction of the new role... otherwise it would be a pointless position. If its a pointless/powerless role then that's what's already in place.
Yep. That sounds like one reason why many people just aren't bothered.

Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:19 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

The Irish President is elected and she has less power than the GG. In theory the GG has the power to run Aus but by convention hands over that power to the elected government. This actually could be tidied up with a move to a president.

As Ireland made the transition from Monarchy to a Presidency through legal process then I can't see any reason why Aus can't do the same and end up with a president (elected or otherwise) whose only power is the reserve power to dissolve parliament and force elections in times of crisis.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all

"The Royal Navy is the second-largest navy of the NATO alliance, in terms of the combined displacement (approx. 400,000 tonnes) after the United States Navy.[3] There are currently 88 commissioned ships in the Royal Navy, including aircraft carriers, a helicopter carrier, landing platform docks, ballistic missile submarines, nuclear fleet submarines, guided missile destroyers, frigates, mine counter-measures and patrol vessels. Twenty-two vessels of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary also contribute to the Royal Navy's order-of-battle. The Royal Navy's ability to project power globally is considered second only to the U.S. Navy.[4][5] The Royal Navy maintains the United Kingdom's nuclear weapons."
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Ever since the UK started to look to Europe rather than the Commonwealth, is the day that Australia had to fend for itself. Twas the UK that severed the alliance not the other way around.

Only politeness, a deference to history and old people keeping the fraying apron strings intact.

Australia is already in defacto republican mode....Just needs more belief that it really is the major player in the Southern Hemisphere.

As to when the paperwork goes through... doesnt really matter now as it's inevitable.

Just watch the ties with India and China get stronger and stronger.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 10th 2009 at 1:29 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:30 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Ever since the UK started to look to Europe rather than the Commonwealth, is the day that Australia had to fend for itself. Twas the UK that severed the alliance not the other way around.

Only politeness, a deference to history and old people keeping the fraying apron strings intact.

Australia is already in defacto republican mode....Just needs more belief that it really is the major player in the Southern Hemisphere.

As to when the paperwork goes through... doesnt really matter now.
i think indonesia may have something to say about being a major player ,plus a whole heap of other countrys south of the equater ,australia can bang its drum as loud as it likes at the moment becuase like britain its either 51st or 52nd state of america . Thats the realities if the proverbial hit the fan .
I have no doubt that the asian countries to the north look on australia as arrogant because of their perceived presumption that they know best for the southern hemisphere .
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

i think indonesia may have something to say about being a major player ,plus a whole heap of other countrys south of the equater ,australia can bang its drum as loud as it likes at the moment becuase like britain its either 51st or 52nd state of america . Thats the realities if the proverbial hit the fan .
I have no doubt that the asian countries to the north look on australia as arrogant because of their perceived presumption that they know best for the southern hemisphere .
It's it Indonesia's own interest to keep Australia as it is... a close by political bridge to the slowly diminishing west. Meantime Australia will strengthen it's ties with the more powerful countries in Asia... China, Korea, and Japan, all of whom have a vested intereste in a stable and non moslim Australia.

Personally It's my theory, could be well wrong, that if Australia were really threated, the middle of Aus would open up like a thunderbird set... couresty of the good old USA. I could be well wrong on that one... but it wouldnt surprise me at all. The real test of the future of Aus, is it's ties with America... I can see it having to choose it's alliances very carefully in around 30-50 years.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 10th 2009 at 1:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.