Accents

Old Sep 1st 2006, 6:56 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Accents

Here in the UK, people keep asking me if I'm South African.

Some of them later admit that they've don't actually know any South Africans.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:37 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accents

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Here in the UK, people keep asking me if I'm South African.

Some of them later admit that they've don't actually know any South Africans.
I've been asked if I come from NZ.....that could be a problem !!!

Don't get it myself (see voice clip for further info)
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:44 am
It's got to be purple....

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
my daught just told me that she was asked if she was Irish by an Irish lady today

I get asked if I am Irish all the time here....... and when Jim was living in Glasgow he was always getting asked if he was South African . Australian and Glaswegian are very easy accents to spot...dunno how people can get it so wrong !!

Wendy

PS

Soapy .. did you know that if you Google images for "verbal pish" the only image you get is this........

http://images.google.com.au/images?q...=Search+Images

I knew there couldn't be another one of you....thank God.....lol

PPS

I was bored...so don't ask why I was googling.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to mention a few of my teachers have asked me if im south african
Old Sep 1st 2006, 11:07 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wsbtroyno21
I get asked if I am Irish all the time here....... and when Jim was living in Glasgow he was always getting asked if he was South African . Australian and Glaswegian are very easy accents to spot...dunno how people can get it so wrong !!

Wendy

PS

Soapy .. did you know that if you Google images for "verbal pish" the only image you get is this........

http://images.google.com.au/images?q...=Search+Images

I knew there couldn't be another one of you....thank God.....lol

PPS

I was bored...so don't ask why I was googling.
lmao, well at least im true to my avatar
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Is there much of a difference in Ozzie accents?

Are certain words used more often in certain cities?

TC
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:40 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CasG
I've been asked if I come from NZ.....that could be a problem !!!

Don't get it myself (see voice clip for further info)
They probably think your a hobbit.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 5:02 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Accents

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Is there much of a difference in Ozzie accents?
Nope. NSW and QLD people tend to be more nasal IMHO, but that's about it.

Are certain words used more often in certain cities?

TC
To some extent, yes. Several states have slang words which are native to their area.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 1:35 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I was always being asked in the States - especially in California - which part of Australia I came from.

Once in a bank queue I was chatting to an American and he commented that I spoke really good English, and where did I learn it? (Uh??) When I said that I *was* English he seemed quite gobsmacked - I don't think he realised that English was actually a native language.......
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 5:37 am
Fighting my corner

Wink Re: Accents

Originally Posted by Irish Aussie Teen
I think the only people who don't get asked this, are the South Africans themselves.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 5:38 am
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Accents

Originally Posted by Wol
I was always being asked in the States - especially in California - which part of Australia I came from.

Once in a bank queue I was chatting to an American and he commented that I spoke really good English, and where did I learn it? (Uh??) When I said that I *was* English he seemed quite gobsmacked - I don't think he realised that English was actually a native language.......
Ah, the poor daft Yanks.... bless 'em!
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Aussie Teen
I suppose its because you look like a Hottentot
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:05 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
It's funny how they always say I can't understand your accent isn't it.

They say it all the time to us, then go on to say where in Scotland do you come from

I come from Yorkshire !!!!
Yorkshire, Scotland same shit different bucket
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:06 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Most people think I'm from Ireland, fair enough, but when I told one guy I was actually from Scotland he went on to let me know how much he disliked the Irish!
also fair enough
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Nope. NSW and QLD people tend to be more nasal IMHO, but that's about it.

To some extent, yes. Several states have slang words which are native to their area.
After a while overseas, many years ago, I could tell who came from which State. Mainly, as Vash said, by the words used and sometimes by the "nasality" of the voice. Also people living across the North, Qld, NT and upper WA tended to have a slower delivery than those living in the southern areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.