British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Accents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/accents-393806/)

mackinnon Aug 31st 2006 6:48 am

Accents

"Oh, it was your accent" said the Directory Enquiries bod to me down the phoneline after he finally comprehended that I wanted the number for VicRoads.

NO IT IS NOT MY ACCENT. I was speaking in my best telephone voice (my mother was an elocution teacher amongst other things). It was *YOUR* inability to recognise that you are a dumb terminal, bereft of a hard-drive of your own, expecting the server to provide you with all the answers, heaven forbid you ever need to process anything at your side. I bet you drive a Holden Automatic.

End of rant.

soapy© Aug 31st 2006 6:50 am

Re: Accents

Originally Posted by mackinnon
"Oh, it was your accent" said the Directory Enquiries bod to me down the phoneline after he finally comprehended that I wanted the number for VicRoads.

NO IT IS NOT MY ACCENT. I was speaking in my best telephone voice (my mother was an elocution teacher amongst other things). It was *YOUR* inability to recognise that you are a dumb terminal, bereft of a hard-drive of your own, expecting the server to provide you with all the answers, heaven forbid you ever need to process anything at your side. I bet you drive a Holden Automatic.

End of rant.

speak english !!!! :rolleyes: :D

Wendy Aug 31st 2006 6:50 am

End of rant.

It's funny how they always say I can't understand your accent isn't it.

They say it all the time to us, then go on to say where in Scotland do you come from :confused:

I come from Yorkshire !!!! :D

john_w Aug 31st 2006 6:51 am

Originally Posted by soapy
speak english !!!! :rolleyes: :D

:D :D :D .....what did you say??

soapy© Aug 31st 2006 6:52 am

Originally Posted by WendyC

They say it all the time to us, then go on to say where in Scotland do you come from :confused:

auch yir nearly scottish :p

Wendy Aug 31st 2006 6:52 am

Originally Posted by soapy
auch yir nearly scottish :p

:scared:

Irish Aussie Teen Aug 31st 2006 6:53 am

People always think im scottish,welsh or english! Im never irish!

mackinnon Aug 31st 2006 6:55 am

Most people think I'm from Ireland, fair enough, but when I told one guy I was actually from Scotland he went on to let me know how much he disliked the Irish!

Wendy Aug 31st 2006 6:59 am

Most people think I'm from Ireland, fair enough, but when I told one guy I was actually from Scotland he went on to let me know how much he disliked the Irish!

You should have pretended to be Irish to see what he thought about the Scots, that could have been quite funny :D

mackinnon Aug 31st 2006 7:02 am

You should have pretended to be Irish to see what he thought about the Scots, that could have been quite funny :D

I like it! Will be giving that a go come the right circumstances!

Ransi Aug 31st 2006 7:02 am

A few people think Im a scouser ... :confused:

Wendy Aug 31st 2006 7:02 am

I like it! Will be giving that a go come the right circumstances!

Let me know when you do ;) :D

john_w Aug 31st 2006 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Ransi
A few people think Im a scouser ... :confused:

Me too.....but Ive been told Ive got a lovely Irish accent !!!!

Ransi Aug 31st 2006 7:12 am

Originally Posted by john_w
Me too.....but Ive been told Ive got a lovely Irish accent !!!!

Aren't you scouse then?

john_w Aug 31st 2006 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Ransi
Aren't you scouse then?

Yes.. :p