Aborigines?

Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:14 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aborigines?

Originally Posted by ponyrama
- the one they want you to believe and then theres the truth.
Actually I think that sums up your view quite nicely.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:54 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
My 7 year old daughter came in from school today telling us all about the aborigines. We had to denude the paperbark off 1 of the trees in our garden so she can take it to her school tomorrow to be shown how to make an "moi moi" shelter that the aborigines used to build.
Well they used to build them she told us till the white men came and did terrible things to the aborigines and stole all their lovely shells and ground them up to make cement to build houses with.

This is the type of crap their teaching our kids in what is otherwise a good school This is all left wing propagander. Weve tried not to talk about the negative side of the colourful natives in front of the kids and have left it up to them to make judgements in their own time but I couldn't keep quiet when I heard this. I asked did the teachers say if they'd done anything wrong to the white settlers? She said no. Did the teacher tell them about the farmers sheep being stolen by the aborigines? She siad no.

I then went on and told her that sometimes teachers don't tell the complete story and that both sides did wrong things to each other. This now has her confused as she thinks teachers are infallable.

The teaching of only one side of the story is dangerous. When we go shopping to our local large shopping center, Midland, We always keep the kids where we can see them and are always wary when packs of natives are roaming about. What happens if she still has this idealised notion of the aborigines when in 6 or 7 years time when she and her friends get the bus into Midland to do some Saturday morning shopping without parents? She'll be lucky if it's only a bashing she gets.

As a matter of interest I know of 4 people around here who have had things stolen or were burgled in the last 12 months and each time it was the natives (including my car) as opposed to no similar crimes by white youths. And this area is only about 0.5% native.

Keel
"left wing propagander"... Keel, I reckon you should leave the teaching to those who are qualified to do it, put your trust in them.

Of course, you are a mum and you are worried about harm coming to your kids. That is natural. You should keep them safe, and if that means telling them to steer clear of aboriginal gangs, to walk in well lit areas, to not stay out too late etc etc...then that's great. But you can do that without passing on your own views to your kids. Let them learn for themselves. Put a bit of trust into the teaching system, and those things that they call "books"...you know, the papery things that you borrow from the library.

We can all see that you've got a great grasp of aboriginal issues, what with the local burglaries you are aware of (aborigines 4-0 whites), and also, the tragedy of the sheep being stolen from white farmers (a gaping hole in the history books if ever there was one). But I believe that if you hold off from imparting some of your wisdom, your daughter will try to find out the truth for herself and perhaps she'll become a better person for it.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:07 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
But I believe that if you hold off from imparting some of your wisdom, your daughter will try to find out the truth for herself and perhaps she'll become a better person
...than who?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:22 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
...than who?
her daughter will better herself obviously.. what were you thinking ?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

...than who?
her daughter will better herself obviously.. what were you thinking ?
Well you pair of smug gits for a kick-off.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:36 pm
Account Open

that's the nicest thing I've been called all morning !
Old Aug 9th 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I can see how your daughter is going to get a much more balanced view from you than by listening to her teachers.
Well at least I was trying to give a balanced view. We were pointing out that there is two sides to a story. I think it's to early for this to be introduced to kids.

I know in other local schools, and possibly hers, the children have to stand up in front of the class and say sorry to the rest of the class for the invasion when their about 13 years old. My daughter wasn't even born in Australia so what does she have to appoligise for? In her school I don't think there are any natives. Her class has about 5 poms, 1 malay, 1 indo, 1 czech and the other 15 a mix of ozzies, kiwi's, Safa's and a couple of others.

Keel
Old Aug 9th 2010, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponyrama
And if I'd been kicked off my land and not allowed to fish the river my family had been living on for thousands of years and me and my family were starving - I be stealing flamin sheep as well.

Yeh there are two sides to every story - the one they want you to believe and then theres the truth.
I was only using the sheep as an example. She's only 7 for Gods sake. I wasn't going to tell her they were shot, murdered and raped.

Did my example not give two sides? Yours certanly wouldn't.

Keel
Old Aug 9th 2010, 1:31 pm
Account Open

Well at least I was trying to give a balanced view. We were pointing out that there is two sides to a story. I think it's to early for this to be introduced to kids.
Ok, so your daughter comes home from school and tells you that she has learnt that aboriginals used to make canoes from bark from trees, and basically live a very different lifestyle. But then white people came along and things changed.

What is this "other side of the story" that you fear your kids are missing out on?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok, so your daughter comes home from school and tells you that she has learnt that aboriginals used to make canoes from bark from trees, and basically live a very different lifestyle. But then white people came along and things changed.

What is this "other side of the story" that you fear your kids are missing out on?
No It's the bit where the white man did terrible things and crushed up their shells to make cement. This is to very a very impressionable young girl. I thought history was supposed to be balanced. This clearly isn't. I was using the stolen sheep because it was at her level.

I'm all for solving the aboriginal problem (if thats the right phrase) but I think this one sided view only makes the problem worse.

To change the subject slightly if you keep telling a group that their hard done by then they will always feel to be a victim and will not change. We see this in the UK with groups in society who are 3rd generation unemployed and who keep getting told it's not their fault. so they don't bother trying.

Keel
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Living in Darwin, i see Aboriginals everyday, ad so far ive not ha too many problems with them. Yes ive seen them lying along the stuart highway when travelling from the city back to where in live, but i also used to see drunks lying in the streets in Hull when i did nurse training at 18, so for me its not an issue.
My house is near bush land that some aborigninals who are grass living stay and they have been freindly and pat my dog, if he runs into their 'home'.
My son is making freinds with aboriginals at his primary school and i will admit their standard of hygine is not the same as my families.
I am wanting to work with in the aboringinal community in the alcohol and drug rehabilitain field as i have heard of good things from this type of interaction.
Ive always had a fascination with aborginals since i was a child.
When i was exploring the area that i live in when first arrived, i came across a group near the surf club eating and chatting, they all smiled and said hello. One man was shaving slightly away from the group. My 8 year old asked why he wasnt using a bathroom, and he just laughed and smilled at my son and said he prefered being in the air, than surrounded by walls.
I smile and talk to everyone i meet , some people respond others dont which i have found no matter what the colour of their skin.
I certainly dont mind iteracting and sharing space with aboriginals, providing they are not aggresive towards me and my family, and i would say that about any person i encounter.
Mandy
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Living in Darwin, i see Aboriginals everyday, ad so far ive not ha too many problems with them. Yes ive seen them lying along the stuart highway when travelling from the city back to where in live, but i also used to see drunks lying in the streets in Hull when i did nurse training at 18, so for me its not an issue.
My house is near bush land that some aborigninals who are grass living stay and they have been freindly and pat my dog, if he runs into their 'home'.
My son is making freinds with aboriginals at his primary school and i will admit their standard of hygine is not the same as my families.
I am wanting to work with in the aboringinal community in the alcohol and drug rehabilitain field as i have heard of good things from this type of interaction.
Ive always had a fascination with aborginals since i was a child.
When i was exploring the area that i live in when first arrived, i came across a group near the surf club eating and chatting, they all smiled and said hello. One man was shaving slightly away from the group. My 8 year old asked why he wasnt using a bathroom, and he just laughed and smilled at my son and said he prefered being in the air, than surrounded by walls.
I smile and talk to everyone i meet , some people respond others dont which i have found no matter what the colour of their skin.
I certainly dont mind iteracting and sharing space with aboriginals, providing they are not aggresive towards me and my family, and i would say that about any person i encounter.
Mandy
This is part of the conundrum of the aboriginals. Some are living quite happily near white communities and everything is ok. However other groups cause real problems. I've interacted with them in Queensland and Northern WA without a problem but the ones we have in the South west of WA can be downright mongrals. Perhaps this is because they come from different racial/tribal groups.

Keel
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:28 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

THAT dreadful Nicole kidman film "Australia" showed white people as racists leaving the Aborigines behind to be bombed by the Japanese while they were evacuated, but in real life during WW2 all the Aboriginies were evacuated with the white people. The trend these days is to rewrite history to make white people as bad and evil as possible and no one can say anything critical of the aboriginies or they are racist, Aboriginal society was far from perfect.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
THAT dreadful Nicole kidman film "Australia" showed white people as racists leaving the Aborigines behind to be bombed by the Japanese while they were evacuated, but in real life during WW2 all the Aboriginies were evacuated with the white people. The trend these days is to rewrite history to make white people as bad and evil as possible and no one can say anything critical of the aboriginies or they are racist, Aboriginal society was far from perfect.
That movie also didn't show the hundreds of Australian soldiers and airmen in the Darwin area who deserted because they thought the Japanese were about to invade - or the looting of private property that the Australian military carried out.

Last edited by Amazulu; Aug 9th 2010 at 7:35 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:59 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

I was only using the sheep as an example. She's only 7 for Gods sake. I wasn't going to tell her they were shot, murdered and raped.

Did my example not give two sides? Yours certanly wouldn't.

Keel
So what is the other side of the story? If the sheep were just an example to highlight the story to a 7 year old what's the adult version? And please do not presume that my version of the story is biased. My posts here are to defend a nation of people against the racist attacks that contribute to the problem. That does not mean it is the extent of my understanding or my view point. The only thing worse than racism is patronising racism.

This is part of the conundrum of the aboriginals. Some are living quite happily near white communities and everything is ok. However other groups cause real problems. I've interacted with them in Queensland and Northern WA without a problem but the ones we have in the South west of WA can be downright mongrals. Perhaps this is because they come from different racial/tribal groups.

Keel
Ever thought of viewing each person as an individual? It has nothing to do with which "racial/tribal group" they come from as you put it. Thats like saying all English people are pompous, or all Irish people are thick (just to illustrate a point - this is not my view of english or irish people before anyone clobbers me). And what do you mean by "the ones we have in the South West of WA"? I think you were born into the wrong era love! Slavery was meant to have ended a long time ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.