Aborigines?

Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:46 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Aborigines?

[QUOTE=ElizabethR;8777965]
Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Wow. Really? You think that it has nothing to being stolen from parents, bought up by whites, told they were dirty and unloveable, abused and degraded for being black, arrested, subject to constant racist government policies, had their land grabbed and got given back shitholes to live in where basic human rights such as running water and electricity are not even provided, etc etc etc.
So when they're drunk, high, disenfranchised, dirty, suffering from malnutrition, high child abuse, high violence ... you think they just do all that stuff because it's an excuse?

Um well this post smacks of self righteousness . Your have post is true except for the excuse bit. I really think these days it is. How long do we keep looking back? I wonder have you ever lived amongst them? I can remember years ago new houses being built for them and by them, having in put to every aspect of the houses. They lasted 3 months, before the floors were ripped up and set a light.
Not all Aborigines are drunks, etc, just like all whites are not perfect people , but their culture really does clash with ours, no easy answers but you know that hate breeds hate and many of todays young Aborigines talk about 230 years ago as if they were there! Most whites that live amongst them don't like them. Right or wrong? Who knows .
You can continue to wallow in obtuseness if you like... When there is generational abuse going back hundreds of years and still continues to this day there needs to be a time after the abuse stops for healing to take place. I dare you to say it's an excuse to an indigenous person...
Old Aug 14th 2010, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

ElizabethR will become famous soon enoughElizabethR will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=mic n mat;8777982]
Originally Posted by ElizabethR

You can continue to wallow in obtuseness if you like... When there is generational abuse going back hundreds of years and still continues to this day there needs to be a time after the abuse stops for healing to take place. I dare you to say it's an excuse to an indigenous person...
It needs to be put down and move on. Many white children where taken from their homes and shipped to this country and treated in a dreadful way. Many stayed here made lives here . It doesn't get harped on about, no repayment of anything for them. They are moving on .
This whole business to do with Aboriginals is like a sore that won't heal.

Hundreds of years??? Pleaseeeeeee. " Wallow in obtuseness" Another know it all.
Oh well that's life I guess.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:47 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

ok cut out the personal insults

Once you start down that route the debate is lost
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mic n mat
So what you're saying is they have rapped your relatives, kicked your ass... or are you following the mob and parroting what they keep regurgitating. Or! you could say that white people are just as prone to rapping, beating... and see that this is a society as a whole problem that includes whites and blacks equally... Obviously they're serious problems... nothing like stating the obvious... but they're problems that transcend all of society.

Lets try this another way. If the people in the communities that you grew up in kept saying all you would amount to is a drop kick idiot all you life and treated you as such (like how you treat and talk about indigenous now) what are the chances you'd end up like that? A real good chance - right. But if the same people always affirmed you and said you were a great person destined to be... your chances of "success" in life increase exponentially. Now do you see where I'm trying to go with this? It's that basic respect for others thing I've been saying.

On a personal level I've had my cars broken into and deliberately vandalised on numerous occasions, surrounded by young adults intent on robbing my wife and I, witnessed some extreme violence to others... All perpetrated by white people. Should I take your stance and say all whites are dead beats... You'd think I was an idiot if I did - or at least you should. Sound familiar...
I'll have another go at this because it's fairly important to me..

I don't actually have any problem with indigenous people.. what I really have a problem with is people like you.
As I said, in the post that was deleted, I'm from a part of the UK where life is tough. I mentioned a few weeks back, that of the half dozen of us who used to hang about together as teenagers, two are dead, one is 'missing' and believed to have been murdered, one in jail, and two of us have left, not just the area, but the country. It's a background, that, if I wasn't white, would pass for the indigenous peoples of Australia.

Do the people of my home town have a tough start in life?.... ****ing right they do, but the people they have the least time for is middle class, God bothering types, coming in and explaining to them how its not really their fault and how its all the fault of their background... people who have NO personal experience of living the life... people like YOU.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:01 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

I don't actually have any problem with indigenous people.. what I really have a problem with is people like you.
As I said, in the post that was deleted, I'm from a part of the UK where life is tough. I mentioned a few weeks back, that of the half dozen of us who used to hang about together as teenagers, two are dead, one is 'missing' and believed to have been murdered, one in jail, and two of us have left, not just the area, but the country. It's a background, that, if I wasn't white, would pass for the indigenous peoples of Australia.

Do the people of my home town have a tough start in life?.... ****ing right they do, but the people they have the least time for is middle class, God bothering types, coming in and explaining to them how its not really their fault and how its all the fault of their background... people who have NO personal experience of living the life... people like YOU.
thanks mate
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:08 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

well said Iam
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:15 pm

some really good point being made on this subject. What happened regarding the stolen generation was horrific and there are no excuses whatsoever. Some years ago I watched some footage regarding kids that were taken out of UK orphanages and brought to Aus. These kids were also considered part of this *programme*. It had devestating consequences for some of the families that these kids came from and years later, well into adulthood, some of them tried to retrace their UK relatives. What a terrible crime against humanity at the time on both the indigenous and white people at the time.....

The reason stolen generations occured? It was seen as the right thing to do at the time, and on reflection and going by today's standards and understanding, it was a horrendous thing to do to everyone concerned at the time

History teaches us what we did wrong. It also helps us understand what we can do better. A start point is to accept these wrongs and move on cos behaving like victims and blaming the past does nothing to change the shameful history or the positive future.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:32 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
some really good point being made on this subject. What happened regarding the stolen generation was horrific and there are no excuses whatsoever. Some years ago I watched some footage regarding kids that were taken out of UK orphanages and brought to Aus. These kids were also considered part of this *programme*. It had devestating consequences for some of the families that these kids came from and years later, well into adulthood, some of them tried to retrace their UK relatives. What a terrible crime against humanity at the time on both the indigenous and white people at the time.....

The reason stolen generations occured? It was seen as the right thing to do at the time, and on reflection and going by today's standards and understanding, it was a horrendous thing to do to everyone concerned at the time

History teaches us what we did wrong. It also helps us understand what we can do better. A start point is to accept these wrongs and move on cos behaving like victims and blaming the past does nothing to change the shameful history or the positive future.
I don't know any answers to any of this (as I'm sure goes with everyone else) but where do you draw a timeline on historical disaster? i.e Irish (potato famine) Scottish (Highland clearances), then there's the Jewish and black Americans, Native Americans etc etc etc.

All of these happened a long time ago, but my point is, some are still too raw to just 'let go' and move on. Surely?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I don't know any answers to any of this (as I'm sure goes with everyone else) but where do you draw a timeline on historical disaster? i.e Irish (potato famine) Scottish (Highland clearances), then there's the Jewish and black Americans, Native Americans etc etc etc.

All of these happened a long time ago, but my point is, some are still too raw to just 'let go' and move on. Surely?
Mate, we have to let go otherwise what other solution is there? We keep apologising for the past and never move to the future? It's a bit like having been abused by a relative. You can either blame all future relationships for what happened, never trust another person ever again, live life in the past an die miserable having accomplishd nothing other than be a victim. Or, you accept shit happens, the person who did it was a bastard of the highest order, don't blame everyone or everything in the future because of it, move on and prove you have made your life more positive because of what you've been through. In effect sticking the fingers up

No choice really. Victim mentality and don't move on, or accept it happened, learn from it and live life positively because of it
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:25 pm

Mate, we have to let go otherwise what other solution is there? We keep apologising for the past and never move to the future? It's a bit like having been abused by a relative. You can either blame all future relationships for what happened, never trust another person ever again, live life in the past an die miserable having accomplishd nothing other than be a victim. Or, you accept shit happens, the person who did it was a bastard of the highest order, don't blame everyone or everything in the future because of it, move on and prove you have made your life more positive because of what you've been through. In effect sticking the fingers up

No choice really. Victim mentality and don't move on, or accept it happened, learn from it and live life positively because of it

Apologising for the past is extremely important. Moving towards the future is even more important.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:28 pm

Apologising for the past is extremely important. Moving towards the future is even more important.
well said sistah
Old Aug 14th 2010, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Umm I am not so sure that I think that I, personally, should *apologise* for the past as I didn't do anything. But as an Australian taxpayer I am happy to pay for extra help for the Aborigine community because it seems to me that extra help is required and I do think they are owed something.

Having said that, I also think that everybody, including Aborigines have to help themselves too. And I don't care what background somebody comes from, it is never OK to rob, attack or otherwise harm anyone else.

Coming from a poor or troubled background does not mean that this is natural and we should expect no better. I believe the people who have expressed opinions along this line mean well, but as somebody who came from a deprived background, I find this view a bit patronising and possibly insulting. You know the "I came from a nice home so I know not to steal but you are from a poor family so you don't know any better".
Old Aug 14th 2010, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Umm I am not so sure that I think that I, personally, should *apologise* for the past as I didn't do anything. But as an Australian taxpayer I am happy to pay for extra help for the Aborigine community because it seems to me that extra help is required and I do think they are owed something.

Having said that, I also think that everybody, including Aborigines have to help themselves too. And I don't care what background somebody comes from, it is never OK to rob, attack or otherwise harm anyone else.

Coming from a poor or troubled background does not mean that this is natural and we should expect no better. I believe the people who have expressed opinions along this line mean well, but as somebody who came from a deprived background, I find this view a bit patronising and possibly insulting. You know the "I came from a nice home so I know not to steal but you are from a poor family so you don't know any better".
I wasn't just referring to the Aborigine community.

Which part of the sentence do you find patronising or insulting?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I worked with an Australian lad a couple of years ago who turned out to be one of those taken from the UK (not from an orphanage but his mother). He was absolutely normal and had a great upbringing here in Oz and had no chip on his shoulder. In fact later in life he went back to the UK for a look around and couldn't believe how lucky he'd been to come to OZ.

So I guess some good did come from this program. They were shipped to Canada as well.

Keel
Old Aug 14th 2010, 11:38 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

edited - cut out the personal insults mate

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Aug 15th 2010 at 12:08 am. Reason: personal insults-cut it out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.