Aborigines?

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:10 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aborigines?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Yep, it sure does... but you are basing your opinions from the other side of the Pacific and on what you see in the US. This really isn't the same. They are a lost people, hopelessly disfunctional, and in large parts seem to be incapable of living and surviving in the world they now find themselves in. No amount of handouts/legups schemes seems to have helped and believe me they have been trying that for decades.
There are certainly lots of varying opinions. Ask your Aussie bogan on the street in downtown Cairns what he thinks about aboriginals, and he'll give you a interesting summation, complete with plenty of colourful language. He'll probably have been affected by things he has witnessed directly, and maybe even have been a victim himself.

Ask your civil servant working on "community issues" and you'll hear a different story. A more politically correct story, that is.

The aboriginal people in Australia are looked down upon by every other race. Why? Partly because most of them do not share our values and ideals. But mostly, because too many of them drink, do drugs, don't educate their children, and rob people. Why do they do this ? Perhaps they've always carried on this way. Or perhaps (and here is a more realistic answer) they've gone a bit downhill over the past couple of hundred years because we came along. Is that their fault, or ours? Perhaps that's "all in the past" and we should ignore it.....

I'm not sure where I am heading with this .... but you say in your post that they are "a lost people". Are they ? Some of them, probably. But I'd like to think that not all of them are that way.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:14 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yes, I think it is.
Perhaps, perhaps not. Is it your fault if you are born with red hair, or long legs, or a keen intellect, or perhaps you* are just a bit dim? No, that's not your fault. That's just the way things are.

What I'm suggesting is that perhaps indigenous people have far less capacity to adapt to this kind of change, than we think they should have.

I'm not for one second trying to make them blameless for the things they do. I'm just saying that there are probably good reasons as to why most races are able to adapt to change, yet some aren't.

* not you personally !

Last edited by asprilla; Aug 3rd 2010 at 3:21 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Just say today we gave all of Australia back to the Aboriginies and all the non-Aborigines left Australia, what do you think Australia would be like in one year from now?
Indonesian?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:19 pm
Account Open

Just say we could give OZ back to the Aboriginies and all 20m non aboriginies left, do you think the Aboriginies would be better off? would they manage the country well? would OZ remain a wealthy ,peaceful ,first world country?
No of course not. I acknowledge that the damage has been done and it is pretty much irreversible. There is no way that we could leave Australia and expect things to "return to the way they were".
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:31 pm
Account Open

Originally Posted by BudBrain
I finished reading Bill Bryson's "Down Under" recently and he talked about aborigines, and the fact that Australian's don't really like talking about them - from an expat's POV - what's up with that?

Are they 'put to one side', so to speak? Do they integrate with other communities? When we were last in Perth, I only remember seeing a single aborigine (selling touristy presents) in a town centre.

Just wondering what the truth is behind the whole story anyway, I know most expats here don't hold back
Well there isn't one source of the truth. But to cut a long story short, if you look at the statistics for things like theft, assault, suicide, abuse of all kinds, and if you are able to break them down into aboriginal and non-aboriginal cases, you will see a glaring difference between the two groups.

Some aborigines integrate with the rest of society, have jobs, houses, lead western style lifes, educate their children. These are the aborigines that the Australians don't mind. Because they kind of blend in just like everyone else does.

Victoria has a very low percentage of aborigines per head, approx 0.5%. Whereas in NT it is approx 30%. Qld and WA are both approx 3.5% population.

In general, you don't find white Australians talking too fondly about aboriginals. Particularly white australians whose line of work brings them into contact with aboriginals.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:33 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I can't believe I am reading this from a moderator in the Australia section of this site. Very poor form.
Why because I have an opinion? Strange you should think it's poor form for a moderator to have their own opinion. You claim to represent the unheard and yet at the same time vilify anyone with voice of their own

Also, if you are going to quote me, then please follow the site rules. You know, the one you are supposed to moderate.
I can see there's a common thread of playing victim here. Must be in your genes....

I agree that they need to accept it and move on. I think you'll find that many aboriginal people also want to do just that. But you have to ask yourself, why are so many cultures able to adapt to change, yet a large number of indigenous cultures across the world (including Australian aborigines) have struggled to adapt to western civilisation? Is is their fault that they can't adapt? Or is there something else to it?

People will carry on saying "it is in the past" and people will continue to look at aborigines as worthless, less than human. But I think that we should be recognising that this isn't all in the past, and an aboriginal person should be respected in the same way that a white person should.
So who said that then? I've certainly not heard it. Another baseless victim statement.

Originally Posted by stevenglish
It was purely for example mate, not suggesting we're gonna get invaded by UAE
Muslims and Aborigines are two completely different sets of circumstances and bear no resemblance at all.

There's Scots, Welsh, Irish, Ozzies, and probably numerous other nationalities that bear a grudge against England and the English even now after hundreds of years, and yet the Aboriginals are supposed to just 'get over' abuse that was happening as little as 40 years ago???? I'm no bleeding heart saying that all the handouts are right, but neither should they be dismissed as non humans who aren't worth a toss, 21st century is it? just checking
Who says this? Another mis quote to strengthen a non existent arguement

Just say we could give OZ back to the Aboriginies and all 20m non aboriginies left, do you think the Aboriginies would be better off? would they manage the country well? would OZ remain a wealthy ,peaceful ,first world country?
Australia would be a wasteland.

You can never go back and certainly can't go forward in a positive way if it's all about feeling sorry for the past. Maybe we should reinvent evolution
Get over it and move on. Educate, create a healthy living, build a power base and beat the whites at their own game. Now that IS where the Muslims have got it right. Maybe the Aborigines need to take a leaf out of THAT book
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:37 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not, but think of all the free booze you'd get
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:46 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

There are certainly lots of varying opinions. Ask your Aussie bogan on the street in downtown Cairns what he thinks about aboriginals, and he'll give you a interesting summation, complete with plenty of colourful language. He'll probably have been affected by things he has witnessed directly, and maybe even have been a victim himself.

Ask your civil servant working on "community issues" and you'll hear a different story. A more politically correct story, that is.

The aboriginal people in Australia are looked down upon by every other race. Why? Partly because most of them do not share our values and ideals. But mostly, because too many of them drink, do drugs, don't educate their children, and rob people. Why do they do this ? Perhaps they've always carried on this way. Or perhaps (and here is a more realistic answer) they've gone a bit downhill over the past couple of hundred years because we came along. Is that their fault, or ours? Perhaps that's "all in the past" and we should ignore it.....

I'm not sure where I am heading with this .... but you say in your post that they are "a lost people". Are they ? Some of them, probably. But I'd like to think that not all of them are that way.
There are ignorant and stupid people in all walks of life who pick on minority groups but let's face it the majority people are not like that.

All I read in your post is that everyone should feel sorry for aborigines not moving on because someone somewhere is picking on them.

Stop playing victim, pull your socks up and make a difference mate
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:06 pm
Account Open

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Why because I have an opinion? Strange you should think it's poor form for a moderator to have their own opinion. You claim to represent the unheard and yet at the same time vilify anyone with voice of their own

I can see there's a common thread of playing victim here. Must be in your genes....

So who said that then? I've certainly not heard it. Another baseless victim statement.
victim statements?! must be in my genes? Oh dear. I think you have just lost a lot of credibility on this website. I know that you have certainly lost my respect.

Just for the record here's your 'opinion' on aborigines. OK, so let's keep crying, getting pissed and sniffing petrol. Nice. Would you actually voice that opinion in public with aboriginal people ? I thought not. So why do you think it is ok to say it on here?

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, I didn't suggest otherwise. I just didn't expect it to be so poor.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Muslims and Aborigines are two completely different sets of circumstances and bear no resemblance at all.

Who says this? Another mis quote to strengthen a non existent arguement

Australia would be a wasteland.

You can never go back and certainly can't go forward in a positive way if it's all about feeling sorry for the past. Maybe we should reinvent evolution
Get over it and move on. Educate, create a healthy living, build a power base and beat the whites at their own game. Now that IS where the Muslims have got it right. Maybe the Aborigines need to take a leaf out of THAT book
Blimy, you got a bee in your bonnet aint ya? my muslim/aboriginal statement was purely for arguments sake as I said. Any conquered people told to 'just get over it' would react the same.

They suffered 170 years of murder and abuse, after millennia of peaceful existence, and whilst I agree that the only way is forward, I also think you're being flippant about a very important subject. Everyone is entitled to their view not just you
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:14 pm
Account Open

There are ignorant and stupid people in all walks of life who pick on minority groups but let's face it the majority people are not like that.

All I read in your post is that everyone should feel sorry for aborigines not moving on because someone somewhere is picking on them.

Stop playing victim, pull your socks up and make a difference mate
The first line of your post makes me laugh, given your recent posts.

The second line, well clearly you can't read. I don't think that everyone should feel sorry for aborigines. Why not try going back and actually reading what I said instead of "all I read in your post."

As for this "Stop playing victim" business, I can only think that this comment is (again) your inability to read and understand anything that veers a little too far from "simple".
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:22 pm

victim statements?! must be in my genes? Oh dear. I think you have just lost a lot of credibility on this website. I know that you have certainly lost my respect.

Just for the record here's your 'opinion' on aborigines. OK, so let's keep crying, getting pissed and sniffing petrol. Nice. Would you actually voice that opinion in public with aboriginal people ? I thought not. So why do you think it is ok to say it on here?

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, I didn't suggest otherwise. I just didn't expect it to be so poor.
So mate. How do you know I'm not an aborigine?

What this is really about is you can give your opinion, but you deride anyone else for theirs. You play the victim card instead of taking responsibility and anyone who challenges this is "poor"

Thank goodness all the aborigine's I know do the exact opposite and prove themselves to be much better than that and some of the finest people I know
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:26 pm

Blimy, you got a bee in your bonnet aint ya? my muslim/aboriginal statement was purely for arguments sake as I said. Any conquered people told to 'just get over it' would react the same.

They suffered 170 years of murder and abuse, after millennia of peaceful existence, and whilst I agree that the only way is forward, I also think you're being flippant about a very important subject. Everyone is entitled to their view not just you
Australia has said sorry for the past and all I'm saying is we now need to move on in a positive way
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:35 pm
Account Open

What this is really about is you can give your opinion, but you deride anyone else for theirs. You play the victim card instead of taking responsibility and anyone who challenges this is "poor"

Well, other people can decide for themselves just by reading up the page.

Either I am
a) giving my own opinion and deriding anyone else for theirs, and playing the victim (as you suggest).

or
b) I am deriding your opinion only, based on one of your comments.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

As is usual with threads which discuss the plight of the aboriginal, this is going around in circles. There have been a good number of posts that would have enlighted the OP on the subject- but alas they seem to have disappeared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.