Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

*That* Prank By Ross & Brand

*That* Prank By Ross & Brand

Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *That* Prank By Ross & Brand

Originally Posted by MattW82
This whole saga is a complete joke. The media have whipped it up into a complete frenzy when really, it wasn't that big a deal at all. It was prank that simply went too far. It wasn't malicious in nature yet the fallout from it would make it seem like the most horrendous thing ever to have occured. It isn't.

The fact that only 2 complaints were received when the show was aired, and they were on the grounds of language, not content, speaks volumes. The only reason that so many complaints have now come forward is that there are lots of people who don't like Ross and/or Brand who fancy jumping on the bandwagon.

Regarding action taken towards the pair now, the BBC have to be seen to be doing something hence the suspension. Brand resigning has stopped BBC having to consider his position any further, though I doubt they'd have sacked him. I'd also be extremely surprised were they to go farther and sack Ross though as he's just too big a draw for the channel. If they did sack him he'd just turn up on ITV or another channel and they'd lose out in the ratings anyway.

All in all the reaction to the whole affair has been completely pathetic and the sooner it's over and done with, suspensions fully served etc the better.
Absolutely. Hope no one ever plays a practical joke that falls flat, or prank calls, or even plays knock down ginger. Looks like you'll get strung up for it.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:00 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flutterby
The fact that there were so many complaints by people who didn't hear the show is perfectly understandable given that everyone in the UK has to pay £150 a year in licence fees to fund their shows amongst other content. We don't have any choice about paying the fee so why should people not be able to complain, if they feel it is warranted, even if they didn't hear it when it was first broadcast?
Because it's the same sanctomonious, pot-boiling, finger-wagging, 'dear the bbc', 'outraged of Pinner' indignation that fuels publications like the Daily Mail.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:06 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Because it's the same sanctomonious, pot-boiling, finger-wagging, 'dear the bbc', 'outraged of Pinner' indignation that fuels publications like the Daily Mail.
Unless of course its some sanctimonious, pot boiling, finger wagging cause YOU deem important eh?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance this thread could stay on topic and not descend into name calling petty squabbling?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Wishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sparky wife
Right...will make this brief...

Can't stand Ross, I don't think he is at all funny and can't understand how he has kept going for so long. Get rid of the rubbish I reckon!!

Brand, haven't heard that much of him, but what I have heard I don't find remotely funny either. He was right to resign.

However, have heard his apology, which I interpreted him as saying: I don't think I should be apologizing but have to cause I've been told to.

Why oh why wasn't Chris Moyles involved with it too??!! I would love to see him go too.

Together, they were like two teenage boys. Both should know better.

Right...off the soap box!!!

I totally agree.
Only watch friday night with Ross if he has anyone interesting on and turn off the radio on saturdays as soon as he spouts his useless drivel.
I felt that the apology was like when our kids have to apologies to one another and don't really mean it!
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:16 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Unless of course its some sanctimonious, pot boiling, finger wagging cause YOU deem important eh?
Yea, because god forbid we feel outrage at something that's actually, like important, something that has an impact on all our lives, when we can all get high and mighty and expound our moral outrage over a dumb radio prank.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:17 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Any chance this thread could stay on topic and not descend into name calling petty squabbling?
Seriously?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:21 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, because god forbid we feel outrage at something that's actually, like important, something that has an impact on all our lives, when we can all get high and mighty and expound our moral outrage over a dumb radio prank.
Since when are you the one who dictates what is important in society?

The whole underlying point of all this flies straight over your head.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:24 am
Australia's Doorman

Since when are you the one who dictates what is important in society?

The whole underlying point of all this flies straight over your head.
So. Let me get this straight. You think that leaving a message on a bloke's answering machine that says, "I shagged your grand-daughter" is worth the same moral outrage as, say a child-killer?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Absolutely. Hope no one ever plays a practical joke that falls flat, or prank calls, or even plays knock down ginger. Looks like you'll get strung up for it.
They did completely cross the line, Ross and Brand needed reprimanding no doubt, it wasn't just a bit of harmless fun, it was offensive.

What I find ludicrous is that is has been blown out of all proportion by the UK press and then the whole country seems to get on the bandwagon and follow suit. It's almost like everyone's just waiting to get the shits about something, anything ...... (especially the DM brigade).

It might explain the whole "UK is worst country in the world" mentality so prevalent over there.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:28 am
I don't give a damn

So. Let me get this straight. You think that leaving a message on a bloke's answering machine that says, "I shagged your grand-daughter" is worth the same moral outrage as, say a child-killer?
Nope, why would I think that?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

You're talking about civil liberties over on your other thread. Surely it's a civil liberty not to get abused and nationally humiliated on live radio by two guys you don't even know referring to having sex with your granddaughter and laughing about you commiting suicide?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:30 am
Australia's Doorman

Nope, why would I think that?
I'm just trying to work out, as "the one who dictates what is important in society", what I should be getting worked up about.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:35 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by rabsody
You're talking about civil liberties over on your other thread. Surely it's a civil liberty not to get abused and nationally humiliated on live radio by two guys you don't even know referring to having sex with your granddaughter and laughing about you commiting suicide?
Thank you

And I have not once mentioned the media fiasco in all this.

I am talking about the emotional upset to the people who were the victims of their crap, and all the other victims of similar sorts of crap carried out away from the public eye. The sort of bullying and abuse that some ugly cretins in society think is fun to phone people up with crank calls and humiliate people for their own selfish sense of fun.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:35 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by rabsody
Totally - and in fact I said about 24 pages ago that I agreed it was wrong. But this is front page news in the UK and, as has been amply demonstrated by the 'dear the BBC' crew in this thread, seems to be important to the diaspora. All over what? The hurt feelings of an actor and his worldly-wise grand-daughter? Seriously - who got hurt? Who was maimed? Who died?

It's like the Diana effect all over again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.