Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wow how do peeps do it ......

wow how do peeps do it ......

Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Butterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to all
Default Re: wow how do peps do it ....

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Why not get the real answers. I mean we can tell you a load of flowery stuff, dolphins and wotnot, but then when you arrive you would want to know why we spun you a load of old bull.
Please read my posts - do I not make it fairly clear I don't expect anywhere to be flowery stuff and don't believe I mentioned Dolphins?

I'm just flummoxed really, people say the forum is public and everyone has their own opinions, I am not arguing that point and I think it's good to get an all round picture as surely that is what the majority wants??
I'd like to think the vast majority of people live in the real world but it's the posts that seem somewhat set out to upset 'slam' the OP? Perhaps thats not how it's intended but I could have quite easily asked a question similar, probably have?
I don't think it matters how you word something, whats worded well for one person isn't for another?

I just feel a forum like this is important for all, maybe especially the new potential migrants who might ask what could be deemed as wrong or silly questions, once that have been asked a million times or more before, but the whole process is new to each and it might take a lot of wrong questions to get to the right one that will give them the best advice and that may come from person out of 20 or more??

Is it so long since some of the people made the move there they've forgotten the range of emotions?, the excitement, the worry, maybe fear? euphoria? all wearing emotions that you go through you on the road to move to a different country, that different country could be anywhere in the world?

I try and take time before I reply or post, no I don't expect everyone to do so? But how off putting for someone new and searching for advice to get 'shot down' so to speak?

For me I want advice good, bad, ugly, but I'd love not to be made to feel stupid or ignorant or slammed for asking a question.
I'm asking a question because I value that there are people out there with more knowledge than me, a whole wealth of experience of what I'm about to do, my journey is unique to me but a path already crossed by so many - but if I never asked a question the road to learning would be longer.

It's not wrong for someone new to want to learn and understand is it? I doubt very much if the questions asked on here are intended to upset or offend anyone - yet you'd think they were?

I know it doesn't work for everyone, I'm not expecting a red carpet, I am actually expecting a total nightmare at least intially. I don't expect life to be easier than here. Even people with money can evidently not have an easy life.

I'd like your help, I'd like you're advice - yes all of it, I'm sure it makes no difference to many or even all of you if I or anyone else you don't know moves or not but it's threads like this that almost makes me scared to ask anything?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:11 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wow how do peps do it ......

Originally Posted by classybird
My advice is just do it, make the move Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero – "Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" The future is unforseen whether you are in the UK or Australia.
So it is the usual story then.

Those already here advising caution and the wannabe's responding with cliches.

What chance does experience have in the face of a well worn cliche?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
Should add OHs favourite gripes.... as a smoker and beer drinker.... his fav beer carton was $19.99 in 1999, now he's lucky to find it for $48 and his fav smokes used to be $50 per carton, now they are $120....
Post of the year......
I arrived in 2002....I wasn't across prices....have prices doubled in the UK since 1999.....it is worth pointing out to the board that 13 years is long....what happened between 1970 and 1983 I wonder..
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:17 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
The analyst in me wants to chart those increases against pay rises and government spending to see if they are in proportion or if the government has its hand deeper in our pockets....
Tempted too.... as when our kids went through daycare there was no rebate of %50, the %30 was put in 2mths after our kids were out of daycare.... Worst time we paid $560 after basic child care rebate % per fortnight just to work 30 mins after school and before school. Made it almost unworthy to work.

Currently FTB is bugger all but I prefer it that way, I'd rather earn my way. I would have an options to be stay at home mum until they are almost at uni but to be honest that would drive me bonkers. And to add to balance, I arrived to Oz as PR, got all of $23 per fortnight, could have stayed at home for years for the same money as for working, but I chose to go to work after every birth within 3mths. Nearly cost my marriage, but immigrating to a new country it was important for me to be me, not just a mum or a wife so chose to work.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:24 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Post of the year......
I arrived in 2002....I wasn't across prices....have prices doubled in the UK since 1999.....it is worth pointing out to the board that 13 years is long....what happened between 1970 and 1983 I wonder..
I don't really give toss about UK prices, not being British. All I can say is of price increases in OZ, those in UK between 99 and now can draw their own conclutions. Many of them seem to think only UK prices went up and Australia is still cheap as chips.... which of course it's not.

Let me ask you this, and hence my post you commented at.... How many
BE users have come here, smokers and drinkers, for reccie trip, bought it
duty free and then surprised it costs as much or even more, then in UK. As said, was bringing all sides, not just the usual housing cost, leccy and gas vs food talk.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

empty will become famous soon enough

The status quo will be one of two things, depending upon who you believe:

Either wealth is infinite and that the third world can join us in living standards without lowering our own.

Or wealth is finite and we will go down in living standards as the third world goes up, until we meet somewhere in the middle.

My money is on the latter. Recent history is supporting my view...
Well said, thank you!!!
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

classybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Grayling

So what are your experiences - would you like to share them.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

So what are your experiences - would you like to share them.
Certainly not
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Butterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to all

Is there no common ground, we've been there before and would def advise caution but cliche's can have their place.
My grandmother lived in London, then moved to East Anglia during WWII she never left the town she moved to after that, except for short holidays in the UK, she never wanted to go far, before she died she told us she wished she'd seen more of the world - she had regrets that we don't want to have.

Move with great caution, it's rarely if ever an action to take lightly but live your life as well as you can.
Is that so bad?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Certainly not

may scare people off moving anywhere ever then eh Grayling?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Butterfly Bokeh

may scare people off moving anywhere ever then eh Grayling?
I would not put anyone off moving anywhere if they can afford to do it.

Truth is this is an horrendously expensive place to live now and jobs are not as easy to find as many seem to think unless you have special skills. Having no money and no job, plus dependents in tow, is a recipe for disaster.

My situation is irrelevant as I don't really need to work, came with a big pot of money, and had a house waiting for me.

Suffice to say I will return to the UK when I retire....I would not want to grow old in this country.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

empty will become famous soon enough

I think it is essential for people to understand some basic economic factors of globalization. As the world shrinks, so we move to a more to a common lifestyle and standard.

It doesn't matter where you are, the basics are the same. A classic example is the price of rice, which is rising due to new affluence in some parts of Asia, and making those who are not enjoying that new affluence suffer. All over Asia the price of rice has risen as the rich buy more of it.

This globalization, which has really occurred in the last 25 years due to removal of trade barriers and better communications, means that in theory eventually we will earn roughly the same no matter where we live. Already this is happening - salaries and lifestyles in the Western nations are dropping alarmingly (and resulting in chaos in the EU) whilst those in newer emerging economies of India, China and Brazil etc are rising. I know, for instance, secretaries who drive their own cars to work in Bangkok. That was unheard of even 10 years ago.

This global standardization is already here. The only real differentiator in the future, and to a certain extent now, is how countries spend their wealth. You can pay lower taxes in some countries and put up with almost no essential services like health care and roads, or you can pay higher taxes. The same equilibrium exists with salaries and costs of living. A skilled worker in the UK can afford to buy X goods and services for Y effort. The ratio would be about the same in either the Uk or Australia.

This really is the economic difference between Australia and the UK. It is simply juggling salaries, taxes, tariffs and services. The end net worth of an individual will be about the same. They may pay more for one product or service, but pay less for another.

Within another 20 years I doubt there there will be any difference at all, unless protectionism returns.

All that will be left to diffrentiate will be warm weather and the tyranny of distance in Australia, and cold weather and history in the UK.

In short - don't move here thinking you will be better off financially, because you won't.

Totally agree, but question is the how much weight that shall be given to just financial considerations before deciding to move. If this is the only case, a potential migrant having a decent job would not make a move without securing a job.

Comparison between two first world countries - UK and Australia - may not differ much but there could be hell of difference in living conditions, safety issues etc between third world country and Australia, that can act as strong motivation to move to Australia. Within ten years or so, earnings and cost of living can even out between Australia and other emerging economies but it takes several decades for emerging economies to reach the HDI of that of Australia. As this is the reflection of standard of living or quality of life (not cost of living), which can be the reason for migrant from emerging economies to move to Australia in years to come.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

classybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to allclassybird is a name known to all

Certainly not
Thats your perogative. However I did share my experience and will ALWAYS regret not being able to offer my children what the OP can offer hers. It was my opinion based on my experiences and a genuine response for the OP. I'm thinking she will give it a go (just as many on this forum giving advice have)
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:58 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by empty

there could be hell of difference in living conditions, safety issues etc between third world country and Australia, that can act as strong motivation to move to Australia.
That's why so many New Zealanders move to Australia
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Thats your perogative. However I did share my experience and will ALWAYS regret not being able to offer my children what the OP can offer hers. It was my opinion based on my experiences and a genuine response for the OP. I'm thinking she will give it a go (just as many on this forum giving advice have)
See post 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.