Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wow how do peeps do it ......

wow how do peeps do it ......

Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:59 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wow how do peps do it ......

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Wellard, wherever that is.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The East End?
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

The East End?
No, the suburb is named after Ricky's dog - Wellard.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
No, the suburb is named after Ricky's dog - Wellard.
That explains it
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:44 am
Just Joined

nolan8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by abi31
To OP - yes there is a huge amount of negativity on this forum - some people who no longer enjoy their circumstances and we all know misery loves company However, as some people here have said, you must look at the situation from your own point of view.

Yes, read and absorb the aspects that are negative as I suspect rose tinted glasses pre arrival are the one thing that are sure to have you craving return flights within the first year, but there is a hell of a lot of positivity on here as well, many many people love it (and not just the people who got there in the 'golden era' ie any time longer than 10 years ago by the sounds of it). Get the info from your friends on what things really cost - you can work out the proportions to your new salary to see if they make you happy or sad.

One point - unless you're going into a job that's ridiculously in demand (and not sure there are very many of them really left) - at least do extensive research into how many jobs are available and if the hoped for salary is realistic or in the high end - speak to some agents if you can at the very least (doubt it will be possible to secure a $60k job before setting off but might be worth a try) - you must consider the kids and small savings will be sucked dry before you've said 'blimey it's a bit wam' (ykshire accent there )

Two things that genuinely interest me - 1. why are you paying $150 per year in 'school fees' in the UK - not including trips and uniform - intrigued as to what these are?
and 2. someone has said you can rent a 4.1 house (as per OP) in the SW for £500 pm - where exactly? I can only assume it's a farmers cow shed on the middle of exmoor
Thanks for your reply, yes we are now in touch with many recruitment agencies, luckily my cousin is in recruitment in perth... we have discussed at length the cost of living, we have compared, compared, compared, in regards to school fees, education in the uk is now not always free, our children attend a catholic school (it being the best in our area) so we are required to "contribute to the school" as for the rentals yes i looked yesterday and we could not find a single rental 3.1 or 4.1 under £1200 pcm I think peps may not realise that here in the uk the salaries are dropping and the cost of living is rising very fast ( i am aware that this is world wide). thanks again for your comments
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by nolan8
Thanks for your reply, yes we are now in touch with many recruitment agencies, luckily my cousin is in recruitment in perth... we have discussed at length the cost of living, we have compared, compared, compared, in regards to school fees, education in the uk is now not always free, our children attend a catholic school (it being the best in our area) so we are required to "contribute to the school" as for the rentals yes i looked yesterday and we could not find a single rental 3.1 or 4.1 under £1200 pcm I think peps may not realise that here in the uk the salaries are dropping and the cost of living is rising very fast ( i am aware that this is world wide). thanks again for your comments
what's a 'pep'?
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:55 am
Excessively Diverted

Luthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond repute

what's a 'pep'?

Being a noob I have been reluctant....but please mods change the title to peeps or Pepsi.

Also, feel free to change my noob to newbie or nob. Whichever you think best.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 6:06 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luthien
Being a noob I have been reluctant....but please mods change the title to peeps or Pepsi.

don't worry Luthien, we are all noobs or nobs here. You are in good company...
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Wellard, wherever that is.
East of Rockingham http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...ed=0CDYQ8gEwAQ
Old Apr 12th 2012, 11:34 am
Just Joined

nolan8 is an unknown quantity at this point

what's a 'pep'?
people
Old Apr 12th 2012, 12:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wow how do peeps do it ......

I think you'll find that a vast number of us on here know what the UK is like these days; we either live here, visit frequently, or have family & friends still here
Of course we might just be plucking all our figures out of thin air, but I think you'll find the majority of us post accurate living costs on here, so you can rely on the forum just as much as on info from your own friends in Aus - gives you lots of different perspectives, thats all.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luthien

see I knew nobs wasn't spelt with a k ( not this sort of nob anyway!!! )
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:10 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you in the centre of London ? £1200 a month is about twice what it is in the SW and probably 3 times the North. You would be better off just moving somewhere cheaper in the UK which would be just about anywhere.

Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

In Swindon (my old town) 1200 will get you a 4 bed character barn conversion or a 5 bed 3 storey new build...........

There are plenty of 3 and 4 bed houses, fairly newly built in convenient nice suburbs for between 800 and 900 per month. We were paying 750 for a 3 bed before we left and the 4 bed opposite is now renting for 895 so it hasn't risen that much.

Here, we do have a lot of living space and a bigger garden and can walk to town if we want (half hour). 3 bed and its $1600 a month (just over 1000 pounds). Fairly similar for what you get.

Gosh I must be bored this morning!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Butterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to all

Apologies for only reading 1 page.

We know some people over in Australia too, I think it's sometimes just a natural to want to ask people in general who have made the move and are living their life in Australia now their opinion.
In general something has held me back from doing so - perhaps that I feel that question is better posed to the family and friends we have there already.
Partly as I feel it can be an easy conversation.

I feel on here it is a question that in general is asked quite often and perhaps that can promote the wrong reaction from some people who have been using the forum for years and seen the question come and go near constantly?
I'm a little shocked by some of the responses.

It is tough to move house/ home, wether you are moving 5 minutes down the road or the other side of the world, the latter is obviously a bigger stress and I think particularly when children are involved there is always some concern as to whether what you're doing for whatever reason is the right one.

I guess for some people on here you are just another stranger and it will mean nothing if you move to Australia or not. It would obviously mean a lot to the family you have there?

Life is a very personal experience for everyone, it is only black and white in photo's though, I can understand you wanting to gain an understanding from the forum of why people moved, if they moved in similar circumstances that you may move in, it's a very personal thing though, many people live within their means whatever they are, many do not.
We recently had a direct letter from our house buyers asking where we thought was the best take aways in the village and the best pubs? Along with another 20 questions about the house and schools. They want an easy move and I've held back from replying to them as we opened the letter the day we returned from a relaxing holiday. My gut instinct was to get a bit hacked off with them.
Would you ask a stranger to pick a meal for you? I wouldn't, I like everyone else has my likes and dislikes, they are personal to me and a stranger wouldn't know them.
Yet part of me was a little sympathetic to their excitement with the move and the desire to get as much information as possible.

We will be moving quite a large family with no jobs in place to go to - yes it's a worry, we're not expecting an easy life by any means, however we are determined to make it work for at least 5 years, ideally for the rest of our lives.
Our view is we live in the UK, we don't pay by $ so we don't compare it unless we are there on a break, when we move to Australia we plan to base everything on $ not £'s as we would be on an Australian salary not a UK one.

We have visited Australia before on a number of occasions, I think the expense argument is a bit of swings and roundabouts, it's not perfect in Australia, the UK is currently rapidly hiking up prices on food, petrol, insurances, tourist attractions have gone up quite dramatically in some areas.
I haven't checked in with friends to see whats going on in Australia - last time we chatted meat was levelling up on the comparison scales for those that like to compare the price.

I don't mind who moves to Australia, who doesn't. I don't know you but wish you all the best, it's a tough decision, you clearly want to do whats best for all of you as I'm sure we all try to.
For me a big thing is as we are running out of time before our visa expires is I don't want to look back in years to come with regret that we didn't give it a go!
This move may turn out to be the best thing we ever did, it may turn out to be a nightmare but so far life has taught me you don't need to make a decision for your life to become a nightmare, anyone's life can suddenly be turned upside down and inside out for a number of different reasons, people pass away, people get ill, jobs are lost, homes are lost it doesn't have to be anyone's fault it's sometimes just happens.
Enough crap has happened to us without us doing a thing or making any decisions.

There's a green day song I love, I know the band isn't for everyone.
But it's called Time Of Your Life.
You cannot predict you life but whatever you do you need to enjoy it as much as possible, we're only on this earth for a short period of time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.