Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wow how do peeps do it ......

wow how do peeps do it ......

Old Apr 12th 2012, 11:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wow how do peps do it ......

Originally Posted by Butterfly Bokeh
There's a green day song I love, I know the band isn't for everyone.
But it's called Time Of Your Life.
You cannot predict you life but whatever you do you need to enjoy it as much as possible, we're only on this earth for a short period of time.
...but cliches don't pay the bills.

Hard to enjoy life if you are broke
Old Apr 12th 2012, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Butterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Grayling

That is true, we've been broke and yes it's very hard to enjoy life, years ago we enjoyed expensive holidays that we haven't been able to do for a long time, we now enjoy much simpler things in life, a lot are free or cheap, do I miss the big holidays, yes and no. You just have to manage as best you can where ever you are

But whats to say if they decide to stay they may find they're broke in the UK, Australia is not the only place people can be broke and struggling that can happen anywhere!

Life is unpredictable, sounds like they have family who would be of help - it'll be stressful, it won't be easy.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

If someone wrote on this forum I am single have no job and plan to move to aus with $2000, I would say go for it.

However if you have kids, be it 2 kids 4 kids... you will be slapped down with huge bills as soon as you arrive.

Bond to rent 4 weeks plus 2 in advance, if you havent a job they may want 6 months.

Rock up to the local state ( free ) school.... I have one in State, fees, books, uniforms for him almost $2000 this year.

Kids got a belly ache, trip to docs and medicines $$$?

Johnny has a toothache you could kiss $400+ goodbye in one appointment.

Secondhand car, a 10 year old bomb can cost you$10,000.

Food, $1000 wouldnt feed a family for a month, many on here quote $300+ a week.

Ive lived my life with a backpack and less dollars than sense when I was single and will do the same again when they have finished education.

By no bloody songs gonna pay the type of bills you get when you move somewhere mega expensive with kids in tow.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Butterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich
If someone wrote on this forum I am single have no job and plan to move to aus with $2000, I would say go for it.

However if you have kids, be it 2 kids 4 kids... you will be slapped down with huge bills as soon as you arrive.

Bond to rent 4 weeks plus 2 in advance, if you havent a job they may want 6 months.

Rock up to the local state ( free ) school.... I have one in State, fees, books, uniforms for him almost $2000 this year.

Kids got a belly ache, trip to docs and medicines $$$?

Johnny has a toothache you could kiss $400+ goodbye in one appointment.

Secondhand car, a 10 year old bomb can cost you$10,000.

Food, $1000 wouldnt feed a family for a month, many on here quote $300+ a week.

Ive lived my life with a backpack and less dollars than sense when I was single and will do the same again when they have finished education.

By no bloody songs gonna pay the type of bills you get when you move somewhere mega expensive with kids in tow.
i was reading your post then felt disappointed at the end as it seemed you just wanted to get a jibe in at the end, that's a real shame. Interesting though, as I just threw the song in as something that gives me a lift when I find it all gets to dragging me down, odd how words and things said get twisted on here, never known anything like it a bit like Chinese whispers.

Every country in the world has its own set of problems, and I don't believe anyone who says they have a perfect life. Nor do I expect a song to pay bills - anyone expecting a red carpet or golden ticket will be disappointed.

Backpacking - not something I'm interested in - already have friends over that have done it, equally I have have friends too some a family of 2, some a family of 4 - even 6 over there. The big families aren't starved begging on the street! Initially surprising for me was the food bill of the family of 4 was the highest!

I could almost understand the snipey comments from people if OP or indeed anyone was saying, right salary will be - say for arguments sake (as ppl seem to like them so much) $75,000 for a family of 5 who want a brand soaking new Mazda 6 on arrival plus a reliable second hand runabout.
Then they want a spacious rental minimum 4 bed 20 minute commute to work in the city, no more than 10 minutes walk from train station.
They pay £200 on food in the UK and don't want to compromise on food luxuries. They also want their kids to attend private school and have half a dozen after school clubs too. They'd like a gym membership each for the adults.
Thei teenager billy bob has serious teeth problems whilst little Fran spends half her time in and out of a&e for asthma!

Lovely to hear te facts but as irritating as ppl evidently find it that people ask the questions OP asked or even make comments about songs that say live your life as best you can, be it a cliche or whatever having had many people pass on and never have opportunities to do anything different yet still struggle in their short life here, I'm happy to believe in the things I do, it equally irritating the almost determined comments from some that when compared are equally full of could be's and plucked examples.

People hve lived it - yay woo round of applause.
It's gone right it's gone wrong! That's life and the same can be said with every decision anyone makes. I can help but feel some ppl have a bitterness on here that's really not nice. I hate sugar coating but no one I know whose made the move behave like that, makes me feel a little embarrassed for those few.

Im sure there will be several comments in my post many people won't like
and will rip apart and get in their soap box about. That's a real shame
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure there will be several comments in my post many people won't like and will rip apart and get in their soap box about. That's a real shame
Sorry, I haven't read your whole post but your last comment made me think. Isn't that what a public forum is all about? Debate? We are all different and with differing views........
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's gone right it's gone wrong! That's life and the same can be said with every decision anyone makes. I can help but feel some ppl have a bitterness on here that's really not nice. I hate sugar coating but no one I know whose made the move behave like that, makes me feel a little embarrassed for those few.

Im sure there will be several comments in my post many people won't like
and will rip apart and get in their soap box about. That's a real shame
I'm at a loss to what you want or expect from us then. We are all different, want different things, expect different things and most importantly for a public forum, have different ways of stating things. Everyone this side of the world have been there done that with greater or lesser results and thus has a differing view point - a multitude of personal, individual views.

The OP has asked for opinions and that's what they got, good, bad, positive, negative, humourous, sarcastic blah blah blah. If you (general) want opinions worded in a particular way that you (general) like, then an international public discussion board is possibly not the right place to ask.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:05 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Your avatar made me chuckle, then the phrase above it made me chuckle. I assume that was your intent Hedgehog?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: wow how do peps do it ....

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm at a loss to what you want or expect from us then. We are all different, want different things, expect different things and most importantly for a public forum, have different ways of stating things. Everyone this side of the world have been there done that with greater or lesser results and thus has a differing view point - a multitude of personal, individual views.

The OP has asked for opinions and that's what they got, good, bad, positive, negative, humourous, sarcastic blah blah blah. If you (general) want opinions worded in a particular way that you (general) like, then an international public discussion board is possibly not the right place to ask.
LOL see I knew it was coming!

I just felt bad for the OP. I have opinions I just don't see we're comments such as 'I don't give a toss what you do' to be anything but upsetting for someone else who is going through the emotions of making those early decisions?
After all I too was just expressing my opinion that I find those sorts of comments distasteful an also in my own way expressing to the other person that some of these harsher comments are just expressed opinions too.

I enjoy reading all the different views it's the swearing and slamming I find a little off par. But I'm too just expressing my
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:14 am
Just Joined

nolan8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies for only reading 1 page.

We know some people over in Australia too, I think it's sometimes just a natural to want to ask people in general who have made the move and are living their life in Australia now their opinion.
In general something has held me back from doing so - perhaps that I feel that question is better posed to the family and friends we have there already.
Partly as I feel it can be an easy conversation.

I feel on here it is a question that in general is asked quite often and perhaps that can promote the wrong reaction from some people who have been using the forum for years and seen the question come and go near constantly?
I'm a little shocked by some of the responses.

It is tough to move house/ home, wether you are moving 5 minutes down the road or the other side of the world, the latter is obviously a bigger stress and I think particularly when children are involved there is always some concern as to whether what you're doing for whatever reason is the right one.

I guess for some people on here you are just another stranger and it will mean nothing if you move to Australia or not. It would obviously mean a lot to the family you have there?

Life is a very personal experience for everyone, it is only black and white in photo's though, I can understand you wanting to gain an understanding from the forum of why people moved, if they moved in similar circumstances that you may move in, it's a very personal thing though, many people live within their means whatever they are, many do not.
We recently had a direct letter from our house buyers asking where we thought was the best take aways in the village and the best pubs? Along with another 20 questions about the house and schools. They want an easy move and I've held back from replying to them as we opened the letter the day we returned from a relaxing holiday. My gut instinct was to get a bit hacked off with them.
Would you ask a stranger to pick a meal for you? I wouldn't, I like everyone else has my likes and dislikes, they are personal to me and a stranger wouldn't know them.
Yet part of me was a little sympathetic to their excitement with the move and the desire to get as much information as possible.

We will be moving quite a large family with no jobs in place to go to - yes it's a worry, we're not expecting an easy life by any means, however we are determined to make it work for at least 5 years, ideally for the rest of our lives.
Our view is we live in the UK, we don't pay by $ so we don't compare it unless we are there on a break, when we move to Australia we plan to base everything on $ not £'s as we would be on an Australian salary not a UK one.

We have visited Australia before on a number of occasions, I think the expense argument is a bit of swings and roundabouts, it's not perfect in Australia, the UK is currently rapidly hiking up prices on food, petrol, insurances, tourist attractions have gone up quite dramatically in some areas.
I haven't checked in with friends to see whats going on in Australia - last time we chatted meat was levelling up on the comparison scales for those that like to compare the price.

I don't mind who moves to Australia, who doesn't. I don't know you but wish you all the best, it's a tough decision, you clearly want to do whats best for all of you as I'm sure we all try to.
For me a big thing is as we are running out of time before our visa expires is I don't want to look back in years to come with regret that we didn't give it a go!
This move may turn out to be the best thing we ever did, it may turn out to be a nightmare but so far life has taught me you don't need to make a decision for your life to become a nightmare, anyone's life can suddenly be turned upside down and inside out for a number of different reasons, people pass away, people get ill, jobs are lost, homes are lost it doesn't have to be anyone's fault it's sometimes just happens.
Enough crap has happened to us without us doing a thing or making any decisions.

There's a green day song I love, I know the band isn't for everyone.
But it's called Time Of Your Life.
You cannot predict you life but whatever you do you need to enjoy it as much as possible, we're only on this earth for a short period of time.
Thankyou for your wonderfull response, as the original poster, i maybe should have worded my question a bit better, i was sooo shocked about the complete negative comments, i wont be on this forum any longer, (have found a much more positive one with practical advice not just digs) why people think we would risk our childrens happiness and lives but not fully investigating the move is beyond me.. you are soo right no one can predict lives, (how i pray for a crystal ball) we are going ahead with the move and as scary as it is we like you are not ever going to be able to regret what we did not try, yes we will have family support, which is great, and yes we dont have the hassel of visas, i still in my heart know its best for us as a family, and yes thebills will need to be paid and yes cost of living is high, but hey nothing is cheap here, we live within our means here and manage to save, we will do the same in australia.. Many people have said "its ok if you wanna pack a picnic every day and sit on a beach " well hell yeah we do, but also wanna see more of the country, wanna give the kids an outlook on different lives, wanna open the world up to them, wanna let them meet and spend time with my family. We could easily stay here in the uk, plod along, and in a few years in australia i am sure we will reach the plodding along again. you are the only positive person here, who has put my mind at rest. I hope when you go it all works out for you, i wish you all the best xxxxx maybe one day we will meet at the bbq on the beach
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wow how do peeps do it ......

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think you'll find that a vast number of us on here know what the UK is like these days; we either live here, visit frequently, or have family & friends still here
Of course we might just be plucking all our figures out of thin air, but I think you'll find the majority of us post accurate living costs on here, so you can rely on the forum just as much as on info from your own friends in Aus - gives you lots of different perspectives, thats all.
The irony is that most people who are heading back will tell you the UK is cheaper and none can be sure where those figures come from...! So I would be interested to hear from a newbie what they pay in London...

Sounds like everything is going up...
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

LOL see I knew it was coming!

I enjoy reading all the different views it's the swearing and slamming I find a little off par. But I'm too just expressing my
This is BE...it's normal....
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
This is BE...it's normal....
LOL

Thats quite sad though in a way don't you think. I'm all for people having an opinion but surely especially for new people on here the swearing and slamming of some of the posts is just going to put people off this forum as it now has the OP?

Maybe there should be a section for newbies or ppl wanting to make the move who can feel they can ask these sorts of questions that some deem silly?
Surely this is a forum for everyone not just existing members or people who get some sort of enjoyment for causing upset?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

i was reading your post then felt disappointed at the end as it seemed you just wanted to get a jibe in at the end, that's a real shame. Interesting though, as I just threw the song in as something that gives me
Sorry, I wasnt posting that as a jibe.

I would be the first person in line to live some free and fancy life where you flitted off when and where you wanted.

But with kids , the bills are always there to keep you in line.

Boring but true.

When we came here it was VERY cheap, we took levels of risk that now would have had us back on the plane in a year. Different economy now to 2000.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Smile Re: wow how do peps do it ......

Unless you're broke anywhere...Badge's rule of thumb...would you rather be broke and watch dolphins or broke and watch grey squirrels etc...

Ahh I see where you are coming from grayling...
I suspect you think you have detected yet another wannabe expat...disenchanted with their existence..

Another cliche...or lesson....every generation is required to learn (the hard way) the lessons of the previous generation.

Having said that people will try their luck....
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

LOL

Thats quite sad though in a way don't you think. I'm all for people having an opinion but surely especially for new people on here the swearing and slamming of some of the posts is just going to put people off this forum as it now has the OP?

Maybe there should be a section for newbies or ppl wanting to make the move who can feel they can ask these sorts of questions that some deem silly?
Surely this is a forum for everyone not just existing members or people who get some sort of enjoyment for causing upset?
When I first joined I saw a bunch of people..united by disenchantment - whatever their politics pro Australia or pro UK...both as bad as each other....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.