Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

who else can't sell house in Uk and has visa

who else can't sell house in Uk and has visa

Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

carolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: who else can't sell house in Uk and has visa

Originally Posted by freebo
My wife actually has a list of her lists, no kidding
So do I ! and special books to put the lists in. I love Lists
Cx
Old Mar 31st 2010, 9:20 am
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lyx
LOL, I LOVE lists.
Btw, that's us just getting ready to put the house on the market ............................ just a lick of paint and a couple of new carpets, then we'll get some of the dreaded estate agents in.
Wish me luck everyone.
Good luck, let's hope this is our year for selling
Old Apr 1st 2010, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

4 weeks till I fly - the sod who was buying the house has pulled out. Everybody now knows I'm desperate so the offers are completely silly. So I've decided to let it out.

The question is, how do I find a good letting agent - I've heard all the horror stories (and have my own from a previous decision to let the house out), is there anywhere that reviews them?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:38 am
Just Joined

briklay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I think you can ask the ATO for a ruling on how long they give you to bring your £££s into Oz (say 12 months). After that you will most certainly get taxed on money brought in at the difference between what the house was worth when you moved to Oz and the price you sold it for.

I'll try and find some old threads about this.

Found one:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...mary+residence

If you buy a house in Oz then your UK house is no longer your primary (owned) residence and will be subject to tax on selling (after a period of time).
who gave you this info on the tax
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TakenThePlunge
No, you'll be fine. In the UK it's your primary residence, so no CGT to pay there. And the way the currency rate is now compared to 2007 you've made a capital loss in Oz.
you are correct there would be no tax to pay on the uk house,so I dont know where that other numpty got the info from about getting a tax ruling
Old Apr 5th 2010, 12:26 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Originally Posted by briklay
you are correct there would be no tax to pay on the uk house,so I dont know where that other numpty got the info from about getting a tax ruling

That's not very nice. I'm sure the op was only trying to help. Even IF they are wrong, there are much better ways of discussing it than calling them a numpty.
Play nice!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lyx
That's not very nice. I'm sure the op was only trying to help. Even IF they are wrong, there are much better ways of discussing it than calling them a numpty.
Play nice!!!!!!!!
thats fine but after been here for over 20 years now and employing many brits over the years,the last thing they want to hear is negative info cos it is hard enough for them to get here and settle than anything else
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:13 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Well as an employer with so many years experience you must know a fair bit about using your people skills to your advantage.

Don't want to make an issue - just an observation.
Group hug anyone.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

LoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lyx
LOL, I LOVE lists.
Btw, that's us just getting ready to put the house on the market ............................ just a lick of paint and a couple of new carpets, then we'll get some of the dreaded estate agents in.
Wish me luck everyone.
Good luck you had any joy, when you planning on heading off? Edinburgh's housing market looks like its moving everywhere I turn there is sold/under offer spread the love to Midlothian please x
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:11 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LoopyL
Good luck you had any joy, when you planning on heading off? Edinburgh's housing market looks like its moving everywhere I turn there is sold/under offer spread the love to Midlothian please x
Market here is still the pits. 2 houses same as mine reduced from £185k to £155k still not moving. (4 Bed detached 10 year old newbuild) BUT People seem to buying up the new redrow 3 bed semi's for £157k

I really don't understand it.

You had any joy with the visa yet?
Think it definately going to be next summer before we make the move.
Whats happening with the Queensland xpats facebook group btw I've finally got facebook sorted - but looks as though everyones on their Easter hols - LOLx
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we've had the movers in for 3 days and completed on our house sale today. Its a very strange feeling not to be a homeowner anymore, and to watch all your worldly goods be packed up & driven off. Once the terror subsides I'm hoping a bit of excitement will arrive!

We have a rental place for 4-5 weeks then we're off!

Oh yeah, and I had a telephone interview this morning

Good luck to all selling, I think the market is picking up a bit because of the low interest rates, just wanted to mention that its a strange & scary process
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
Well, we've had the movers in for 3 days and completed on our house sale today. Its a very strange feeling not to be a homeowner anymore, and to watch all your worldly goods be packed up & driven off. Once the terror subsides I'm hoping a bit of excitement will arrive!

We have a rental place for 4-5 weeks then we're off!

Oh yeah, and I had a telephone interview this morning

Good luck to all selling, I think the market is picking up a bit because of the low interest rates, just wanted to mention that its a strange & scary process
Not quite as terrifying as watching mine all being packed up today, and i still haven't sold the bloody thing.

I board the plane in exactly 3 weeks today...come hell or high water...
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

LoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lyx
Market here is still the pits. 2 houses same as mine reduced from £185k to £155k still not moving. (4 Bed detached 10 year old newbuild) BUT People seem to buying up the new redrow 3 bed semi's for £157k

I really don't understand it.

You had any joy with the visa yet?
Think it definately going to be next summer before we make the move.
Whats happening with the Queensland xpats facebook group btw I've finally got facebook sorted - but looks as though everyones on their Easter hols - LOLx
We reduced our house by £60k which is a 5 bed 5 year old house..... Its a nightmare!! Think if we need to I will rent it out, but don't really want to have the burden here.

No visa yet there was some confusion with them asking us for Australia police checks so we sorted that and the came back asking for information they already got from us for work related stuff back in December I hope we hear something soon

Yeah the Facebook page is being a bit slow you got the hang of it? Will you being going to validate your visa this year then move next summer then?

Lynz xx
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TakenThePlunge
Not quite as terrifying as watching mine all being packed up today, and i still haven't sold the bloody thing.

I board the plane in exactly 3 weeks today...come hell or high water...
Awwww hope all things turn good
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:26 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LoopyL
? Will you being going to validate your visa this year then move next summer then?

Lynz xx
Booked for 2.5 weeks goldcoast in Novemember , working extra shifts to pay for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.