Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats the worse thing about living in australia

whats the worse thing about living in australia

Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the worse thing about living in australia

Originally Posted by chocciecake
does olivia newton john call herself english, or is that you deciding what she is???

my husband was born in the uk, but has lived in australia since he was 6 and definately considers himself as australian! my children were born here to aussie parents, but will grow up in australia, and both are too young to remember the uk,so most likely will consider that they are australian!

just because you are born somewhere, doesn't mean that you are automatically property of that country!

what if your parents are based in india for 2 years for work and your born there?
does that automatically mean that you have to refer to your self as indian for the rest of your life, even if your family is not and you have no afinity for the place?

i know plenty of immigrants who refer to themselves as australian, and if thats what they think of themself as, that is what they are...
Calling yourself Australian is a bit hard when you talk like Worzel Gummidge. Your optimism is cute though.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The English King George II wasn't even born in England
Woopdy doo! Whos she anyway??? Prince Phillip born in Corfu, royal family of German origin, the monarchy is still British.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:02 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The English King George II wasn't even born in England
or Cliff Richard, George Orwell, J R R Tolkein or Joanna Lumley to name but a a few
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chocciecake
does olivia newton john call herself english, or is that you deciding what she is???

my husband was born in the uk, but has lived in australia since he was 6 and definately considers himself as australian! my children were born here to aussie parents, but will grow up in australia, and both are too young to remember the uk,so most likely will consider that they are australian!

just because you are born somewhere, doesn't mean that you are automatically property of that country!

what if your parents are based in india for 2 years for work and your born there?
does that automatically mean that you have to refer to your self as indian for the rest of your life, even if your family is not and you have no afinity for the place?

i know plenty of immigrants who refer to themselves as australian, and if thats what they think of themself as, that is what they are...
I remember that arguement when I was a kid in UK. Other kids in UK said I was an Aussie because of my accent. Aussies called me a Pommy because of my accent. Lived in Australia most of my life but I still drop my aitches so Im a pom. I'll go with that since its the truth. I refuse to sell out. Take that as you will...........personally no doubt.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kporte
or Cliff Richard, George Orwell, J R R Tolkein or Joanna Lumley to name but a a few
I think theyre all subjects of the British Raj, so why do nt they speak with Indian accents?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
I think theyre all subjects of the British Raj, so why do nt they speak with Indian accents?
probably the same reason Nicole Kidman doesn;t speak with a Hawaiian accent
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

probably the same reason Nicole Kidman doesn;t speak with a Hawaiian accent
Alright then! Worst thing about living in Australia.......?

Having to explain to Aussies and Aussie wannabes why you still love your homeland. Everyone else is allowed to do it........FFS!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:15 am
Account Closed

Alright then! Worst thing about living in Australia.......?

Having to explain to Aussies and Aussie wannabes why you still love your homeland. Everyone else is allowed to do it........FFS!
yeah I am happy here but still love Scotland and will not run it down
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:36 am
Account Closed

here's an addition to the list of "äpparently" non british famous people

Vivien Leigh
Gerald Durrell
Rudyard Kipling
Spike Milligan
Freddie Mercury
Sir Tom Stoppard
Paddy Ashdown
Ben Kingsley
Julie Christie
Engelbert Dumperstink and so on etc etc
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:43 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
well either that or you can't spell !
I can't see me getting an answer. So come on, fess up.

Until today you didn't know how to spell 'label'

And now you know how to spell it in British and American English
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I can't see me getting an answer. So come on, fess up.

Until today you didn't know how to spell 'label'

And now you know how to spell it in British and American English
I'd hate to be laybuld a bad speller
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onceinalifetime
I would agree 100% that this is beyond all reasonable doubt the single worst thing about living in Australia. I can't believe that it's taken over 200 posts before someone else has mentioned it.
Maybe because not everyone believes it

Woopdy doo! Whos she anyway??? Prince Phillip born in Corfu, royal family of German origin, the monarchy is still British.
Who's she? She was a King of Great Britain
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:54 am
Account Closed

I'd hate to be laybuld a bad speller
How about American?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
How about American?
I love everyone!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:57 am
Account Closed

I love everyone!
Me too Especially women

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.