Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats the worse thing about living in australia

whats the worse thing about living in australia

Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:46 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of
Default Re: whats the worse thing about living in australia

In the last decade or so, the worst thing about Australia has been the ever-increasing arrogant patriotism.

John Howard introduced this new stereotype of Australia, which everybody lapped up. Now people throw around terms like 'un-Australian', 'mateship' and 'diggers' nonstop. If I hear one more time about 'the great Aussie spirit' I think I'm going to kill somebody!!!

The flag waving has turned to violence and ignorance, and it seems to be getting worse and worse.

And Australia used to laugh at the frightening patriotism in America!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:50 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SNH
In the last decade or so, the worst thing about Australia has been the ever-increasing arrogant patriotism.

John Howard introduced this new stereotype of Australia, which everybody lapped up. Now people throw around terms like 'un-Australian', 'mateship' and 'diggers' nonstop. If I hear one more time about 'the great Aussie spirit' I think I'm going to kill somebody!!!

The flag waving has turned to violence and ignorance, and it seems to be getting worse and worse.

And Australia used to laugh at the frightening patriotism in America!
this is blown wildly out of proportion. a few dickheads take it too far but if patriotism is a bad thing count me in as a baddy.
Brits could do with a bit more of this instead of constantly running the UK down
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I don't know 20 odd million people,but ALL the people I know personally crap on about Australia this Australia that,I also listen to the radio (local Adelaide station)and for whatever reason the DJ or adverts will constantly bombard you with "As Australian as"or "You can depend on it because its Australian"to "Be proud to be Australian"Sounds like brain washing to me?And OTT!! What exactly is the "spirit of Australia"?Never could quite work that one out even when I lived there!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:50 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

I argee the "australia is the best country in the world" attitude gets a bit grating. However in the UK everyone hates being here, and is always talking about leaving or how the country has gone to the dogs. I bit of patriotism here would not be a bad thing at all.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree,as long as its not shoved down your throat 24/7 lol !!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
I think that they are very friendly in the cities and bigger towns, but are downright unfriendly in the rural areas.

And before anybody jumps down my throat I was discussing this exact thing this morning with an aussie workmate and he agreed with me 100%
Aah, that's the trump card, 1 out of 20 odd million Aussies agrees so it must be true[/QUOTE]

Here we go again, because somebody has said something you probably don't agree with you immediately jump on them with the old "you haven't spoke to every one of 20 million" rubbish.

It was my opinion and I only put about my mate because if I didn't all you get is, that you are a whinging pom etc, which by the way I am not.
If you had to qualify everything you write on this forum by having to speak to the whole population first there wouldn't be much on here would there.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:01 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

After reading this thread , my soon to leave list just got longer........mm
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
well either that or you can't spell !
I'm guessing you're a grammar Nazi then?

So what did I misspell?

How many question marks do you need when asking a question? Shouldn't you have started that sentence with a capital?

Jeysus, you're the worst grammar Nazi I've ever seen

Last edited by MartinLuther; Feb 25th 2009 at 8:16 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
This is so true. Since i have been back in UK all i get asked is why we came back to this shitty country. I ask them if they have ever lived anywhere but UK..they reply 'no'.
I then ask them how they can judge, they have no reply to that and look very embarrassed.
There are so many differences about living in a different country, all of which will be personnal preferences, for us UK is home!
Glad you're happy back home, NS.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:07 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

the obsession with "punching above their weight internationally" Um, no one cares.

"the little aussie battler"
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with much on this thread, I think a lot of it is actually pretty hypocritical at best.

For example, compare the patriotism and "Australia is the best" attitudes when it comes to sport - equally repugnant is the hype that surrounds the England football team, or the arrogance when the English win the rugby or cricket.

For me the worse things about living in Australia are :

Terrible driving standards.
Poor/different sense of humour.
Distance from Europe.
Poor television.
Poor internet standards (both connectivity and lack of online shopping).
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
the obsession with "punching above their weight internationally" Um, no one cares.

"the little aussie battler"
Isn't that the UK?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:37 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Isn't that the UK?
What do you mean? We used to own most of the world.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pommypoofta
Probably tht the shops dont open on sundays and i find it hard to find things to do!!
Originally Posted by chocciecake
oh no!
why did you have to remind me of that!
now i'm depressed!
Don't worry too much, most Shops do actually open on Sundays...

Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
What do you mean? We used to own most of the world.
Used to being the operative words. (It was a long time ago. Before I was born. It's time to let go. )

When I lived in the UK the concept of the UK punching above its weight in military terms was quite popular with the pollies. That's what I mean.

Look, see here, for example http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sta...world_role.stm

Last edited by MartinLuther; Feb 26th 2009 at 1:22 am. Reason: Added link

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.