Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats the worse thing about living in australia

whats the worse thing about living in australia

Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the worse thing about living in australia

Originally Posted by chocciecake
i've been out of the country and lived in both usa and london (7 years now) and i still think australia is fantastic.
Yes perhaps it is but being able to live outside Australia for a period has perhaps allowed you to develop a little objectivity as well.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:45 pm
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Yes perhaps it is but being able to live outside Australia for a period has perhaps allowed you to develop a little objectivity as well.
certainly!!!

now i actually appreciate how good australia really is, compared to the places i've lived since!

like dorothy in kansas says...there's no place like home!

granted, i'm going back to live on the gold coast, not melbourne, where i grew up, as i prefer the lifestyle!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Just put you on my soon to leave list...........mm
Mmmm, you might be right.............

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Australians always go on about how fantastic their country is?Why?Because most of them know no different because they havent been out of the country!lol

That is SO true, we hear constantly about how fab it all is but many people here haven't even been to the North of Tas, let alone the big island and heven forbid out of Oz territories!! But then again, a lot of people in the UK constantly moan about how awful it is, country going to the dogs etc etc so perhaps it is actually quite nice to have a positive opinion about your home.

Sam
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Australians always go on about how fantastic their country is?Why?Because most of them know no different because they havent been out of the country!lol
I know a good way to avoid this.

Stop banging on about how fantastic the UK is
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:37 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy T

Really awful dress sense (fair isle knitted tank tops and shell suits)

Ridiculous prices of somethings (although it has stopped the choccie addiction)

Country and Western music

But then I chose to come here, nobody made me, so I guess it's my problem

Sam
know exactly where your coming from. at the other end of the scale we also have a crowd that dress like they've just stepped off the paris catwalk, its so funny as they never go anywhere just round to each others houses at the weekend, they just live to compete with each other

yep ridiculously expensive

OMG isnt it dreadful, friggin Slim Dusty is alive and well

yep but also got the choice to try somewhere else too Sammy
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:45 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

That is SO true, we hear constantly about how fab it all is but many people here haven't even been to the North of Tas, let alone the big island and heven forbid out of Oz territories!! But then again, a lot of people in the UK constantly moan about how awful it is, country going to the dogs etc etc so perhaps it is actually quite nice to have a positive opinion about your home.

Sam
it blows me away how many Tasmanians have never left the island

I find the racism very hard to deal with and there are also some real snobs, always makes me laugh when people say there is no class system.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums
it blows me away how many Tasmanians have never left the island

I find the racism very hard to deal with and there are also some real snobs, always makes me laugh when people say there is no class system.
I had to try really hard not to smile when someone was asking me what it was like to travel so far, as they had never been further North than Hobart, they were about 50 years old, I just couldn't believe it!

Sam
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

tuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nice

Originally Posted by viviennef
ooo I thought of really bad things that bug me

left hand lane ending
zebra crossings on corners
junctions that work so you come off a slip road as other people come on the road from the same sliproad - if you live on the SCoast you will know what I mean!
people hogging the middle lane(mainly because they are scared the left hand land will end)
people driving slower in the right hand lane than the middle lane

its SO lucky anyone near my house is alive.

I TOTALLY know where you are coming from about the lanes where you go off and others come on it's SOOOO DANGEROUS....you would think they wuld learn from all the thousands that dies on the roads here
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:03 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Lack of responsibility on the roads drives me nuts here.

I can't belive there are no rules with regard to having your car checked out regularly, like an MOT. The only time you need to get a road safety certificate is when you come to sell the damn thing. There aren't even legal limits for tyre tread - the amount of cars you see on practically bald tyres is unbelievable. It's no wonder there are massive accidents and jams on the motorways every bloody day with the amount of sheared off tyres you see by the sides. And the amount of times I've been stopped at lights and somebody has come up behind me or in the next lane screeching to a stop because they hadn't been paying attention. Unbelievable.

Other than that I have to say the Ants do test my patience a bit. But everyone on here has heard me whine on about that more than enough times
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

tuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nice

OK here goes: (boy am i going to get some stick)
TOO HOT/HUMID
Bad drivers
Shit clothes & shoes
Over the top 'How's it going' shop staff
The way they check your bag on the way out of a shop
You need a license for everything
Dairy, Bread and cosmetics are REALLY expensive here
No choice of decent crisps
Feeling like a foriegner
The locals!
Some Brits!
The 'Plaza's'
IT'S PROJECT NOT PROEJECT!!!!:curse:
No shopping experience and little consumer choice
Services not competitive ie. expensive and locked in for 2yr!
Overpriced cars, most should be scrapped
No decent curry and no home delivery
Not a very good dining experience and restaurants here shut early (9.30!) ...I like having a friendly indian chap serving my curry, not an Australian woman telling me that my food looks like something a dog has done

1 of us Has to drive when you go out for the evening as everything is spaced out.

I could continue but i won't, there are obviously good things here ie the beaches and the kids are catered for here.....

Once again, i chose to come here.......
Aahh i feel much better now!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:18 pm
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Lack of responsibility on the roads drives me nuts here.

I can't belive there are no rules with regard to having your car checked out regularly, like an MOT. The only time you need to get a road safety certificate is when you come to sell the damn thing. There aren't even legal limits for tyre tread - the amount of cars you see on practically bald tyres is unbelievable. It's no wonder there are massive accidents and jams on the motorways every bloody day with the amount of sheared off tyres you see by the sides. And the amount of times I've been stopped at lights and somebody has come up behind me or in the next lane screeching to a stop because they hadn't been paying attention. Unbelievable.

Other than that I have to say the Ants do test my patience a bit. But everyone on here has heard me whine on about that more than enough times
QLD apparently has the highest incidence of rear enders!

but in london ,everyone turns right, from the left lane of a roundabout!
that really ticks me off!
you can only turn go straight ahead or turn right from the right lane!
left lane you can go straight ahead or turn left!
but if you shout it out the window at them ,they'll probably shoot you!

nsw you have to have a yearly road worthy...i thought QLD had brought that in too?
great if they haven't though, as that will save us some money!

blow flies suck in australia, i'm not looking forward to those again..and huntsmen spiders that come into the house freak me out.
i'm also not looking forward to having to conserve water...i love to have long showers, leave the taps running while i do dishes, and general other water wasting activities, but i am looking forward to having a new set of things to moan about, because i am sick of my list here!

oh, and even though i am australian, i hate the upward inflection on every thing! particulary melbournians accents (although thats where i originate from)
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

More than anything I hate the amount of adverts on regular tv, when your trying to watch a decent show.

I also hate the fact you have to pay twice as much to go back to blighty on holiday, than the flights you came out on
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Someone thought I was Welsh the other day, despite the fact that I told him I used to live just North of Edinburgh!
YOUR PROBLEM BEING .....?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Being asked "owsyadaygoin?" when its only 9.00am

Bad drivers and really bad cars, that should be in the scrap heap not still being driven around.

Being ignored as a woman when you ring up tradesmen, they just can't accept that I'm the one ordering the work.

The decision not to give mothers paid maternity leave, when Kevin can easily dish out $900 here, there and everywhere (and my kids are older and I'm not having any more, I just think it's so backward compared to the UK)

Some nutcase from Qld who wants to get back into politics - seriously scary!

No bloody double glazing

Lack of insight into the huge water issue - put everyone on meters, that would stop the buggers watering their little patches of green lawn all night long (most of it just pouring down the road)

Poor use of solar energy, in a country that has plenty of opportunity to tap into it.

Bloody awful local, homemade adverts which pop up every 5 mins, on the rare occasion I want to watch TV

OMG, what am I doing here, let me out

Sam
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It's called patriotism. I find it kind of nice that the Australians are proud of their country.

Sam
While it's true that a lot of them have not been out of the country and still go on about how great it is here, a lot of British have never left UK and moan about how shit it is compared to Australia. How is that different?

As for my list of what's the worst thing about living here? I would have to say the lack of insulation in the houses. Even after living in Canada for over 40 years I have never been so cold as winters in Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.