Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We can't justify going after all

We can't justify going after all

Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:32 am
Banned

mutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nice
Default Re: We can't justify going after all

Originally Posted by Grayling
Thought that only happened in the navy

G
I know they have some strange place names down here but your profile has you down at "Flowery Twats"...Am I missing something as I don't get on here much nowadays?
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Thought that only happened in the navy

G
...............Isn't it the foundation of the British private school system.....?
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Innyjim
...............Isn't it the foundation of the British private school system.....?
I think they have to do without the rum

G
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mutant
I know they have some strange place names down here but your profile has you down at "Flowery Twats"...Am I missing something as I don't get on here much nowadays?
Must be my spelling

G
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pandanda
I've lived here in Adelaide all my life, and completed my first year of university this year after graduating high school last year with a tertiary entrance score of 98 out of 99.5. I simply do not understand how anyone could think that kids here have no ambition and that there are no professional careers available ????

From my group of friends from year 12 in 2003, three are currently studying law, one is doing health sciences, one is doing medicine, one is doing media, one is doing psychology, and one is doing music.

I just hate it when people dismiss Adelaide--most, of whom I might add, have never been there ...
Hey thanks for that. Glad to hear of some examples of young adults in Adelaide getting onto courses that are in high demand. Don't get me wrong, I had what I thought were some excellent schools lined up for our kids (Sacred Heart College being the secondary school - www.shcs.sa.edu.au).

My worry, however, is mainly about what they do when they have finished their formal education. Can I ask what you are studying and whether you think you and your friends will be able to find jobs in Adelaide when you have graduated?

Note that I am very familiar with Adelaide. My grandmother emigrated there in the late 1950s and I've visited there more times than I can remember. I worked there for 6 months in the late 1980s but when I emigrated to Australia in the early 1990s I headed to Sydney because I couldn't see any prospects for me in Adelaide.

I guess the Universities will have some records of where their graduates end up. I wonder how many get graduate jobs in Adelaide?
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day we all want what we feel is best for our children, we all have our own views of what 'best' might be.
everyone has to sum up what areas will offer better opportunities for their kids, be it in oz or timbuktu.
I personally want my kids to achieve all they can, my husband is literally taking his hgv class 2 today to achieve his dream in oz.
my 9 yr old wants to be a teacher, my 7 yr old is a whizz on the pc and my 4 yr well, he wants to be a pilot...something i of course would definitely encourage!!
what im saying its, if they have the best education possible, they stand a better chance of achieving their dreams.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Must be my spelling

G
something "Owls" as well isn't it.....?
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by jimtrish
At the end of the day we all want what we feel is best for our children, we all have our own views of what 'best' might be.
everyone has to sum up what areas will offer better opportunities for their kids, be it in oz or timbuktu.
I personally want my kids to achieve all they can, my husband is literally taking his hgv class 2 today to achieve his dream in oz.
my 9 yr old wants to be a teacher, my 7 yr old is a whizz on the pc and my 4 yr well, he wants to be a pilot...something i of course would definitely encourage!!
what im saying its, if they have the best education possible, they stand a better chance of achieving their dreams.
This is the way I feel.

Fortunately my sons have their degrees and careers. One is in Adelaide the other in London. They have done all this themselves all we could do was give them the opportunity.

Many people ARE actually career driven and ambitious. I see nothing wrong with that. We don't all want a quiet easy life. If we did what would happen to all the big houses and cars that people claim they do not want.

It is easier to 'drop out' if you can 'drop back in' if you need to and that requires qualifications.

Back to the original point, in order to advance their careers people often do have to move and that is what SOS seemed concerned about and I, for one, don't blame him.

G
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:59 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

...my husband is literally taking his hgv class 2 today to achieve his dream in oz.
As opposed to dreaming about it?

Sorry, being silly.

On the Fawlty Towers theme, how about "Farty Towels"?
Old Dec 8th 2004, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
As opposed to dreaming about it?

Sorry, being silly.

On the Fawlty Towers theme, how about "Farty Towels"?

ive got my nursing job and he will achieve his in oz...not a dream...reality.

on the fawlty towers theme...what about tarty fowels?
Old Dec 8th 2004, 1:52 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

ive got my nursing job and he will achieve his in oz...not a dream...reality.
Missed again.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 1:53 am
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PortJackson is on a distinguished road

This is the way I feel.

It is easier to 'drop out' if you can 'drop back in' if you need to and that requires qualifications.

G
A point that should be taken on board.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Mike,

You seem to have a slight problem with people giving a Oz a go just because it didn't work out for you.

Why so ?

Why do you seem to spend so much time on here trawling through numerous posts looking for a doom and gloom story...?

Is it because it makes you feel your decision to return was justified ?

Just curious like.

Three Legs
I have no problem with people giving Oz a go - good luck to them. Don't you feel that my posts provide some balance to some of the other more one-sided postings

I feel duty-bound to correct the occasionally far-fetched and ludicrous postings that attempt to draw Oz in such a positive light compared with the UK. And, contrary to many of the posters that wax lyrically (the last word is a lie) about the joys of Oz, I spent many years living there - so I have a pretty good idea of the real pros and cons.

I'm sure that those who don't want to read my posts have the ability to ignore them

As for the deeper issues including the price of lettuce etc, I try and stay away from them...

Do I need to justify my return?

For those of you for whom material things mean so much, consider this: I arrived in Oz with nowt, by the time we left we had a 5-bedroomed house in Sydney and ran a consultancy business which provided us with a salary of ~$350k per year.

And still we wanted to come back.

Do we regret the return to UK? Not for one moment.

Do we regret being in Oz for so long? Definitely.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 5:29 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
I have no problem with people giving Oz a go - good luck to them. Don't you feel that my posts provide some balance to some of the other more one-sided postings

I feel duty-bound to correct the occasionally far-fetched and ludicrous postings that attempt to draw Oz in such a positive light compared with the UK. And, contrary to many of the posters that wax lyrically (the last word is a lie) about the joys of Oz, I spent many years living there - so I have a pretty good idea of the real pros and cons.

I'm sure that those who don't want to read my posts have the ability to ignore them

As for the deeper issues including the price of lettuce etc, I try and stay away from them...

Do I need to justify my return?

For those of you for whom material things mean so much, consider this: I arrived in Oz with nowt, by the time we left we had a 5-bedroomed house in Sydney and ran a consultancy business which provided us with a salary of ~$350k per year.

And still we wanted to come back.

Do we regret the return to UK? Not for one moment.

Do we regret being in Oz for so long? Definitely.
It must of been dreadful for you wasting all those years of your life rotting away in this hell hole at the end of the earth, in your 5 bedroomed house and 350K salary, l hope one day you will be able to recover from your dreadful experience.

Old Dec 8th 2004, 5:35 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Mike,

You seem to have a slight problem with people giving a Oz a go just because it didn't work out for you.

Why so ?

Why do you seem to spend so much time on here trawling through numerous posts looking for a doom and gloom story...?

Is it because it makes you feel your decision to return was justified ?

Just curious like.

Three Legs
It is obvious he regrets moving back to the UK and misses OZ otherwise why would he keep trying to justify his decision to move back to the UK on this forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.