Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under starts again...

Wanted Down Under starts again...

Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

moriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to all
Default Re: Wanted Down Under starts again...

Originally Posted by Pomster
I really don't like this programme. Thought I would watch it (having lived in Aus for a decade) and see why everyone raves.

The presenter is awful and tries to make a drama out of a cup of tea. And how can anyone make such a huge decision based on less than a week to look at houses, schools, jobs, cost of living etc. Surely most people do heaps more research (although generally on the internet).

I prefer Phil Relocation Down Under.
At least CH4 assumes an IQ of over 40.
I know it's daytime telly but come on!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:00 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

At least Phil has a clue what he's talking about, and a proper budget, and he's realistic with the couples on the programme.

As soon as one person says 'ooh, the bathroom is a bit small' Nicki is on there in her mock shock voice going 'oh dee-ah, the whole move could be in jeopardy'...wtf?

Although of course I've told my husband that if we look at even one flat with a small bathroom I'm coming straight home to live with my mum...

Tx
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Originally Posted by xzibit

I don't agree with the way that they work out all expenses on the exchange rate - especially bills and shopping. Fair enough you work on the exchange rate for bringing over a lump of savings, but once you're there and working, the price of a lettuce comparative to the UK on the current exchange rate is silly.
Yeah that had me thinking , nut I think the wat they do it is compare the estimated wage in Aus , minus the ' price of living , mortgage ect to the same things against their current Uk wage . . . at least this is the only way it holds any value .

Its the kind of programme you watch through your fingers .

Relocation with Phil is a totally different as the couples are either already living in Aus or are about to . What percentage of WDU couples make the move or ?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

mattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pomster
I really don't like this programme. Thought I would watch it (having lived in Aus for a decade) and see why everyone raves.

The presenter is awful and tries to make a drama out of a cup of tea. And how can anyone make such a huge decision based on less than a week to look at houses, schools, jobs, cost of living etc. Surely most people do heaps more research (although generally on the internet).

I prefer Phil Relocation Down Under.
Hi Pomster

Its just TV programme and we were all the Beebs puppets! Of all the families I know of that made the show, nobody made the decision within a week - it was just for the cameras. Like us, most spent a few weeks at least touring OZ after the filming - the Beeb dont show that bit!

I think Nicky and the rigid script has killed it

Simon
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattbenecci
Hi Pomster

Its just TV programme and we were all the Beebs puppets! Of all the families I know of that made the show, nobody made the decision within a week - it was just for the cameras. Like us, most spent a few weeks at least touring OZ after the filming - the Beeb dont show that bit!

Simon
I think you are right. She is rather wooden and I guess the editing is done to create some drama even where there is none. And I think it tends to show the move as easy whereas it is the single most stressful thing you can do- including marriage/divorce/having kids...
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:03 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattbenecci
Hi Pomster

Simon
Simon, has your show been on yet??
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

mattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RedT
Simon, has your show been on yet??
Hi Red T

No,we have been resheduled by the BBC for first the 28th January, and now 11th February. Because we were filmed in Brisbane, the day before it was due to be aired (Jan 14th) the BBC pulled it - along with remaining Brisbane shows due to the tragedy out in Queensland. There we were, all ready with our mugs of tea..............

What I can say is that the next WDU to be shown will be revisiteds next week - then a week of rescheduled 5th Series inc. ours.

Happy Days

Simon - The Wells Family
Old Jan 21st 2011, 3:16 pm
not sure...

Aw, that's a shame but at least it'll still be aired. I did wonder why the 'Revisited' episodes were going to be on so soon. It'll be interesting to see how you and your family are portrayed in the show, then hear the truth from you!

Tx
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

What happened to the perth wdu this time,not seen a one yet since it started,i like to see a few shows from there maybe bbc cut backs??
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

kiwisinthemaking is an unknown quantity at this point

This programme is really taking the mick this year...every couple so far, the man has been up for moving, the woman 'who still lives in her tiny home town and is very close to her mother' bawls for the whole thing, can't possibly consider moving, is really struggling blah blah...then votes to move at the end anyway. Wtf?!

In the initial interviews the women are all ironing...ALL of them! And Nicki Chapman has clearly decided that we're all a bit S-L-O-W and talks like she's waiting for the Sunshine bus to come and collect us (and bring us all to Melbourse...evidently the only city in Australia...)

The husband is now refusing to watch it (can't say I blame him) and I'm only watching the homes bit, to see what will be well outside our budget whem we move

Tx
Sorry for the ironing - we really didn't get a choice in that! Although I still live in my home town I wasn't against the move, just not quite as far along as hubby. I think that on the whole women do find it harder to consider moving that far away from their families - men look at things far more logically and can put emotions to one side. I think we were one of the few families shown whose budgets showed that actually (on paper) we will be far better off financially in NZ than the UK hence the vote for NZ at the end of the programme. Currently waiting for visas and hope to be out there by early March!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

Anyone watching the Revisiteds?? Nice to see a few people make it to the other side, although I feel bad for those who delayed - their finances now vs when their original show was shot are quite different. Still, that's the same for many on this board I imagine...
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SamG
Anyone watching the Revisiteds?? Nice to see a few people make it to the other side, although I feel bad for those who delayed - their finances now vs when their original show was shot are quite different. Still, that's the same for many on this board I imagine...
I've be watching WDU but I emigrated to Canada and wonder why they never ever film any programmes of people looking to move to Canada which I believe is the 2nd most popular place to emigrate after Australia? I just guess the presenters don't want to be filming in Alberta in winter at minus 20 with a wind chill factor of minus 35, I wonder why?? But it gets a little boring showing Australia and NZ all the time. Why cannot the BBC mix it up a little to show families wanting to move abroad to other countries. By the way I came onto the Australia sections to see what people were saying about the show, which I do like.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

EmilyA is an unknown quantity at this point

At least the presenter actually turned up to meet the family for real today! Thought it was interesting to see the second visit and a family who seemed to be doing well.
I do find it amazing how many children and young people we have seen in this series who don't seem to be able to tear themselves away from their friends, though. Whatever happened to having a spirit of adventure?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:27 pm
not sure...

Originally Posted by kiwisinthemaking
Sorry for the ironing - we really didn't get a choice in that! Although I still live in my home town I wasn't against the move, just not quite as far along as hubby. I think that on the whole women do find it harder to consider moving that far away from their families - men look at things far more logically and can put emotions to one side. I think we were one of the few families shown whose budgets showed that actually (on paper) we will be far better off financially in NZ than the UK hence the vote for NZ at the end of the programme. Currently waiting for visas and hope to be out there by early March!
Haha, it just struck me as funny...hope you'll be doing less ironing when your visa comes through

I guess I'm lucky in a perverse way that I'm not close to my family (not by a long shot) but I will of course miss my friends. I do wish though that they would vary their selection of people on the show though, they all seem to be practically the same this year.

Tx
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Haha, it just struck me as funny...hope you'll be doing less ironing when your visa comes through

I guess I'm lucky in a perverse way that I'm not close to my family (not by a long shot) but I will of course miss my friends. I do wish though that they would vary their selection of people on the show though, they all seem to be practically the same this year.

Tx
Hi Red T

You are right, they do. Funny thing was, we were told by the Beeb that they have to have a complete mix to avoid discrimination. That is, equal representation from Scotland, Wales, Ireland, West North, East North etc etc - even large/small sizes ha ha. They even had a gay couple on this year just to frank that view. It quite funny really. It goes to show you that no matter where you come from and what size you are, we are all much the same! I am a 6ft 2 16 stone bald bloke and even I blubbered (quietly) at our F & F video. lol. However..... what separates the families is desire. To do this move you have to want it very very badly - otherwise it folds in two. You all have to want it beyond doubt and even if the sums do not add up, you will find a way - you have to be so focused and driven.

A t least on our programme the wife and I got to bungy jump naked and backwards with our final verdict shouting... and our decision is - - Austrrrrrraaaallllliiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

Simon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.