Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under starts again...

Wanted Down Under starts again...

Old Jan 7th 2011, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all
Default Re: Wanted Down Under starts again...

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse

In the first episode the exchange rate was 1.7 where as today it is 1.55 or 9% difference.
Exactly , for anyone watching it today , that 9 percent makes the difference .

Many of the families that were already pushing their budgets when it was filmed last year , might find they can't afford it when/if their visa eventually comes through .
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

mattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Davesax
Exactly , for anyone watching it today , that 9 percent makes the difference .

Many of the families that were already pushing their budgets when it was filmed last year , might find they can't afford it when/if their visa eventually comes through .
Hello Dave

How tight is it to get out there and survive. The rate is now 1.45 to the £. When we did the show, it was 1.59 - and we were horrified then. Five years ago it was pushing 2.5, so that tells you how things have changed. The criteria for taking a business out is reckoned on a AU$ turnover. The more the £1 drops the more turnover we have to provide. In one year it has dropped another 10% - it was supposed to rise 12/15% with the new Government.

However..... the classic line has to be... Australia pays you in more ways than money. Its so true.

Regards

Simon - Wells Family
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Hi Simon

I think the secret is not to take any money over mate - sounds obvious I know but if you own a house now in the UK - you'll end up selling it for not a lot of pounds as prices are low and losing even more on the crazy exchange rate .

We moved back to the UK last year and sold up our Aussie home taking advantage of the rate , but its gone down even more . Our UK house is up for let at the moment and we have jobs starting in Perth in March, so we'll rent over there.

We were on another show ' There's no Place like Home ' so share your experience and I wish you luck . It's all worth it ....oh and don't be a ping ponger ;o)

Cheers
Old Jan 7th 2011, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

I would echo what Dave recommends although I think taking over less than 15k will be very difficult unless you have a sufficient and sustainable income right from day 1. We too left our house behind and are currently renting it out, thankfully, to a very good friend on a long term basis.
Problem we are having is that my current job is temporary until Dec 2011 so we are unable to buy a house or even a car if we required finance past Dec 2011!
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:27 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mazza12
Yeah I was really surprised that all 3 of them voted for Australia too! I certainly didn't expect that result. I would be interested to find out if they've actually done anything about making the move happen since filming. The husband didn't seem convinced that the finances would work - £900 in the red/month plus £11000/yr for uni fees - scary stuff! They did mention savings though - good luck to them! I didn't learn anything that I didn't already know from research but the job part was interesting as my partner is also a town planner.

I just watched the first episode on BBCIPlayer, very interesting, they filmed the chatting part, where they are playing on the swings, and in the sandpit, in Cleveland. I know because i lived next door to that park when i was there. Its a great area for family's, very safe, a real good area to bring up kids etc.

Would be surprised if they made the move, i reckon to buy a decent 4by2 lowset in and around Cleveland, in Oz Dollars at least $500k, so at todays rate in UK Peso's, just over £300k.

Got to admit though, miss the old sleepy town, even though it was a bit quiet, just cannot believe i was not in the film, i was there when it was filmed, they must haved edited me out, i would have taken the limelight off the presenter?

Got to stop watching these in the library, on a dongle at home. Started welling up at the end, all the old ladies in the library looking at me wondering what on earth i am so sad about? Told them i had stubbed my toe!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

Just catching up on a few episodes.... is it me or are they being sponsored by the Adelaide tourism board?? It's where they're sending most families

I used to inhale shows like this when we were going thru our visa application - are people finding them useful? I just used to love any footage of our new life..... We've left Sydney for a brief stint in the USA, not sure all this watching is helping my homesickness for Oz....

I'm getting a bit annoyed by the amount of weight the families are giving to the children's 'votes'. I think it puts unrealistic pressure on them, of course you want their input but they shouldn't be expected to be part of the decision as it involves elements that children (or even teenagers) can fully appreciate. All in the name of good telly though, I guess.

Looking forward to the show on the 14th.
xx.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:52 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody coming over to QLD might be having second thoughts at the moment.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Yeh, we've been pretty much housebound here in Brisbane apart from visiting shops. Would love a beer with pals back home even if it is only 4 degrees.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

mattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SamG
Just catching up on a few episodes.... is it me or are they being sponsored by the Adelaide tourism board?? It's where they're sending most families

I used to inhale shows like this when we were going thru our visa application - are people finding them useful? I just used to love any footage of our new life..... We've left Sydney for a brief stint in the USA, not sure all this watching is helping my homesickness for Oz....

I'm getting a bit annoyed by the amount of weight the families are giving to the children's 'votes'. I think it puts unrealistic pressure on them, of course you want their input but they shouldn't be expected to be part of the decision as it involves elements that children (or even teenagers) can fully appreciate. All in the name of good telly though, I guess.

Looking forward to the show on the 14th.
xx.
Hi Sam

Nothing like a bit of pressure - ours is the 14th!

Can't understand either why they are packing Adelaide out all at once - doesnt make sense. I understood that they did four or five locations - certainly our director did four in Brisbane, there was four in Adelaide and also Melbourne and New Zealand same - so it could mean that we are Perthed heavy in the final two weeks.

I take your point on the childrens issue, however, we were very aware that the director wanted the kids vote to make a TV difference with emotions. Although I have to say, our two would live in Tehran if there was a sweetie shop there!

Simon - The Wells Family
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

I'll keep watching it of course but I'm getting bored with it. It's far too formulaic. They should have tried to tailor the individual shows for the family. And also a little more variety with who they have on. And get out of Adelaide. Not a single episode in the 1st 10 in Sydney
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steen1976
I'll keep watching it of course but I'm getting bored with it. It's far too formulaic. They should have tried to tailor the individual shows for the family. And also a little more variety with who they have on. And get out of Adelaide. Not a single episode in the 1st 10 in Sydney
Let me see....

Married couple, two or three children - check. (No single people or couples without children anywhere in sight)

Tradesman or nurse - check. (No professionals)

Children old enough to have an opinion, to which surprising weight will (apparently) be given - check. Even better if they have a boy or girlfriend at home who will no doubt be the love of their life.

House value - between £150k - £250k - check. (No-one even remotely wealthy. And certainly no-one from London or the South-East, who might have a little more money to spend on houses)

Wife close to her family - check. Cue lots of tears.

Send non-city people to a city location - check. Australia does exist outside the state capitals, would you believe.

Little or no research done - check. Otherwise they might have some idea that a two bedroom house in rural northern England is not worth the same as a four bedroom one by the sea in an Australian state capital.

I expect I've missed several more, but this is lazy television making at its very worst, it's just the same every day with different faces. In all honesty, I'm not sure I have the stamina to shout at the TV every night, watching their dreams slip away.....
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:59 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

You said it! Just add in whatsherface going 'the plan could be in ruins' and 'this could tear the family apart' and 'the dream could be over before it even gets off the ground' every 12 seconds and that's pretty much the programme so far!

We're a couple, no kids, moving from London to Sydney, we both want to go and we've done our research. According to WDU we're doing it all horribly wrong!!

Tx
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by louie
Let me see....

Married couple, two or three children - check. (No single people or couples without children anywhere in sight)

Tradesman or nurse - check. (No professionals)

Children old enough to have an opinion, to which surprising weight will (apparently) be given - check. Even better if they have a boy or girlfriend at home who will no doubt be the love of their life.

House value - between £150k - £250k - check. (No-one even remotely wealthy. And certainly no-one from London or the South-East, who might have a little more money to spend on houses)

Wife close to her family - check. Cue lots of tears.

Send non-city people to a city location - check. Australia does exist outside the state capitals, would you believe.

Little or no research done - check. Otherwise they might have some idea that a two bedroom house in rural northern England is not worth the same as a four bedroom one by the sea in an Australian state capital.

I expect I've missed several more, but this is lazy television making at its very worst, it's just the same every day with different faces. In all honesty, I'm not sure I have the stamina to shout at the TV every night, watching their dreams slip away.....
Like the comments!!

If you can keep going till Friday ( and I dont blame you in the slightest if you dont) that programme may throw up a different slant:

Businessman not seeking employment but business relocation - not seen I don't think before. Professional background to work if business doesn't make it.

Children 3 & 8 - no boyfriends/Girlfriends that I know of.

Living in South East England - house sold - but sensibly renting till move and wanting to rent when out in OZ - so you will see rental options - thats new!!

Not Adelaide - phew!

Wife hates her parents! Has no mates and doesnt give a toffee if they care. kids prefer munching on sweets to crying at tv!! (that might be a lie).

Beach people moving to a coast location

Been there before heaps, so all research done. Certainly aware that it is pricey and getting worse for a relocation.

I cant promise the editing wont be against us, but we gave it our best shot and tried to break free from the shackles. Didn't meet Nicky, but nobody has.

Now Ive said all this, I bet its the worst of the lot lol
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattbenecci
Like the comments!!

If you can keep going till Friday ( and I dont blame you in the slightest if you dont) that programme may throw up a different slant:

Businessman not seeking employment but business relocation - not seen I don't think before. Professional background to work if business doesn't make it.

Children 3 & 8 - no boyfriends/Girlfriends that I know of.

Living in South East England - house sold - but sensibly renting till move and wanting to rent when out in OZ - so you will see rental options - thats new!!

Not Adelaide - phew!

Wife hates her parents! Has no mates and doesnt give a toffee if they care. kids prefer munching on sweets to crying at tv!! (that might be a lie).

Beach people moving to a coast location

Been there before heaps, so all research done. Certainly aware that it is pricey and getting worse for a relocation.

I cant promise the editing wont be against us, but we gave it our best shot and tried to break free from the shackles. Didn't meet Nicky, but nobody has.

Now Ive said all this, I bet its the worst of the lot lol
Good on you, where did you go? I don't know who 'nicky' is, I'd better Google. Actually, I'd better go to bed, I'll google in the morning.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Looking forward to it mate. Won't see it till Friday night though but. sky+ them while I'm at graft.

Rental options really need to be looked at in this. Anyone moving out would be mad to jump straight into a purchase now - in my opinion of course. Rent and pay way less than the interest on a mortgage while you test the waters. The dip may even just be around the corner too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.