Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Old Jan 10th 2009, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

brucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nice
Default Re: Wanted Down Under - New Series 2009

Originally Posted by Jenny Hughes
G'day

Wanted Down Under Jan 09 IS a New Series and my family and I are on the episode screened BBC1 Mon 12 Jan @ 9.15am.

What an opportunity!! We all had an amazing chance of a once in a lifetime experience. Watch it and you'll see.

We would love to hear from any of the other families (past or present) who had the same chance as us to keep in touch and share our experiences.

We've made some really great new Aussie mates.

Let us know what you think.

Enjoy!!
WELL.........Did you actually make the move or was it just done for TV? Excuse my boldness, but having seen the first 2 series. It doesnt portray migrating to Oz in a great light.

We moved to Brisbane in Nov 08 and our whole move is nothing like how WDU would want the viewing public to see. They want "car crash TV". Yeah you miss the family, but its not about them. Its about you and your family. You make a life changing move like this for a better quality of life. You certainly dont make such a move without doing your research before you go.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Jenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

I think there has been some confusion that it is a New Series, I probably should have been clearer in saying that it is a (new) 3rd series not repeats as many people seem to think, as a lot of them have been repeated before Christmas and on UK Gold at the moment.

To be fair, we didn't see it as a "free holiday" as we have been researching for well over a year or two now and have friends who have made the move to Oz, some 20-30 years ago, some over 4 years, others more recent about 2years, with different expectations and some who didn't think they would stay and had an open ticket to return! Also Aussies whose parents made the move years ago who do not regret it even though it was hard.

We didn't go with our eyes shut!

Obviously it differs for everyone, there are various reasons why some don't settle, return back to UK and stay or those who return to UK and then go back to Oz. Everyone is different and have various and / or different priorities in life.

For us it has to be quality of life. Neither of us are work shy at all and I think after my husband working 12-14+ hour hard working (manual work) days plus weekends, we have experience of knowing there is more to life than work. However, at the moment, times being what they are, work is a priority and we feel for those who have lost or at risk of losing their jobs.

Believe me we certainly haven't had it easy!!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jenny Hughes
I think there has been some confusion that it is a New Series, I probably should have been clearer in saying that it is a (new) 3rd series not repeats as many people seem to think, as a lot of them have been repeated before Christmas and on UK Gold at the moment.

To be fair, we didn't see it as a "free holiday" as we have been researching for well over a year or two now and have friends who have made the move to Oz, some 20-30 years ago, some over 4 years, others more recent about 2years, with different expectations and some who didn't think they would stay and had an open ticket to return! Also Aussies whose parents made the move years ago who do not regret it even though it was hard.

We didn't go with our eyes shut!

Obviously it differs for everyone, there are various reasons why some don't settle, return back to UK and stay or those who return to UK and then go back to Oz. Everyone is different and have various and / or different priorities in life.

For us it has to be quality of life. Neither of us are work shy at all and I think after my husband working 12-14+ hour hard working (manual work) days plus weekends, we have experience of knowing there is more to life than work. However, at the moment, times being what they are, work is a priority and we feel for those who have lost or at risk of losing their jobs.

Believe me we certainly haven't had it easy!!
Hi Jenny watched the show and it looked like you loved it! Good luck with your plans!

As for Wanted Down Under in general, I really think that they are doing themselves a disservice. As has already been said before, the show tends to show the guests areas and properties that are realistically out of reach.

I also find it funny that the guests usually live in a home in the UK worth X amount but suddenly have a home budget of twice that in Aus. Where's that extra cash come from...especially as many jobs pay the same or less? Then, WDU shows them properties at their budget or 3-4 times the price of what they have in the UK. No wonder everybody says "it's miles bigger than what we have in the UK!".

Sure, try spending 2-3-4 times your current house price in the UK and you'll definitely get something bigger than what you've already got. It's like the show Bullseye....."and here's what you could have (won)".

However, I still watch the show, mainly to gauge what sort of property you can get for your cash and to look at the glorious weather lol.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

I also watched the show and I must say well done Jenny for being the first person to mention on camera how easy it is to stay in touch with family via webcams etc.

We've been ready to emigrate for the last year but we can't sell our house (but that's another story!!) and the bit on the program where they show the family videos is so staged - of course you're going to miss family etc. but until today I don't think anyone's ever mentioned Skype etc.

The big question is - are you going to go Jenny?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Saw the lovely family from Liverpool on it today. What absolute tossers the program makers are to show them houses that are massively out of their price range:curse:

Its like saying to the kids "would you like this big bedroom and that lovely pool? Well hard luck because we can't afford it"

When we start to look at houses there is no way I would look at anything I couldn't afford. It would just take the shine off what I could afford (which to be honest isn't a massive amount)

I really wish they would give a more realistic view of the moving process. It REALLY hacks me off when they show the family on DVD crying buckets. When I have my 3 weeks in Spain I don't sit there crying about how much I am missing my family

Ok, deep breath, have calmed down a bit now. Hope you all have a lovely day (or night depending on where you are reading this)
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Sorry to any families watching this, it is proably the shows fault, but I am sick of the crying too. I believe the families spend a week in Aus and alright give a few days either side say 2 weeks in total.

Alright they be crying because of what their families say about them rather then missing them but it still is annoying.

TIP for all: We don't "watch" the show we Sky+ it so we can fast forward the family bit and the flag spinning/twirling bit.

[QUOTE=RenShen;7155743]

I really wish they would give a more realistic view of the moving process. It REALLY hacks me off when they show the family on DVD crying buckets. When I have my 3 weeks in Spain I don't sit there crying about how much I am missing my family
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:40 am
Account Closed

jackuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice one Jenny ......I enjoyed the show ,, however the "turning the card "thing, always makes me cringe...so naff.....although little Reece made me laugh as he got his wrong at first
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:09 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
Saw the lovely family from Liverpool on it today. What absolute tossers the program makers are to show them houses that are massively out of their price range:curse:

Its like saying to the kids "would you like this big bedroom and that lovely pool? Well hard luck because we can't afford it"

When we start to look at houses there is no way I would look at anything I couldn't afford. It would just take the shine off what I could afford (which to be honest isn't a massive amount)

Ok, deep breath, have calmed down a bit now. Hope you all have a lovely day (or night depending on where you are reading this)
Of course you don't when you are on holiday. Yes these folk are on holiday but they are contemplating leaving their loved ones in the foreseeable future. Even the hardest people in the world miss their families, crying about the possibility of being away from the people you love is realistic. Will look forward to your reports when you eventually move.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Of course you don't when you are on holiday. Yes these folk are on holiday but they are contemplating leaving their loved ones in the foreseeable future. Even the hardest people in the world miss their families, crying about the possibility of being away from the people you love is realistic. Will look forward to your reports when you eventually move.
I know that but to be crying on telly in front of a huge audience when you are only contemplating a move is a bit much for me. Also, putting the kids through that is beyond my comprehension. I am going out of my way to keep my kids upset to a minimum.

I will be very happy to give you lots of updates when I arrive
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
Also, putting the kids through that is beyond my comprehension. I am going out of my way to keep my kids upset to a minimum.
That's the bit that gets me too.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
That's the bit that gets me too.
hi wanted down under series 2 on uktv style now 4pm showing perth
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

WOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant future

Well done to Jenny and Dave for taking part in the show without losing your rag at any point! Several things which would've made me pipe up include:-

1) Nicky saying "houses start at an affordable £170k" - how is that affordable when Australian mortgage interest rates are so much higher than the UK?? We can't even afford that in the UK, and rates are so much lower here! When are we going to see a family with a realistic budget at the lower end of the scale, e.g. £150k? That's all we could afford (and that would be stretching it), assuming we break even when / if we sell our house

2) Being shown houses £80k - £100k over budget. As several people have already mentioned, I wouldn't even bother going through the door! And for Nicky to say, very casually, "It would be stretching their budget" - stretching?? Get a dictionary, Nicky! I think the word you're looking for is BREAKING - as in completely annihilating their budget!

3) Nicky stating the obvious - on most episodes she asks if the participants will miss their family, and if the family videos will affect their decision. Oh,and I particularly like the way they show the family videos just before they have to decide, so it makes them emotional and upset and more likely to stay in the UK. Makes you wonder if the show is a conspiracy by the UK government to encourage people to stay in the UK and stop fleeing the sinking ship! :curse:

I love the idea of Skype by the way - great idea If we ever emigrate we joked that we'll have 2 laptops at the dinner table - one for each of my parents (or my husband's), and they can join us for dinnner, via webcam!

Well done again for taking part anyway. I'm still actually watching it on demand as I'm typing this, and it's not quite finished so I don't know whether or not you decided to stay or go, but whatever decision you made, I hope it is still the right one for you guys, and good luck with whatever your future holds

Last edited by WOMBATGIRL; Jan 12th 2009 at 8:29 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jsvk
hi wanted down under series 2 on uktv style now 4pm showing perth
watched this episode today ( just to see perth ) and found my self as the counrty lifestyle was in...APPLECROSS?? its about a 5 min drive from the centre of perth!!

Did enjoy this mornings episode, thought jenny and dave were very nice and clearly have feet on the ground..well done to you both and good luck if you do decide to go to aus..
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

This is from memory but from what I remember of the show I am not sure if Nikki is on as "Australian" beach or in Tenerife for example, well she doesn't meet the families. I could be totally wrong
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by seayork2002
This is from memory but from what I remember of the show I am not sure if Nikki is on as "Australian" beach or in Tenerife for example, well she doesn't meet the families. I could be totally wrong
yes i noticed that after the australia house visit you dont see nikki with the families..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.