Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

WOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Totally agree. The reasons people decide not to emigrate are frustrating - things like "oh it's so hot", "I'd get homesick", "it's so far away" etc. are things they knew before going.

Other things that irritate me about this programme:-

1) Why do the programme makers always show them houses over budget? They're looking at £300-400k so they show them one for £500K??!!! I wouldn't even step through the front door! :curse:

2) Their expectations are so unrealistic - surely the first thing you do before flying out to Oz is look on real estate websites?? Have they not googled interest rates in Oz to see that they're higher than the UK therefore they couldn't afford the same mortgage as in the UK? :curse:

3) I'm convinced they edit the family videos to just show the weepy stuff, like how much their friends / family will miss them, etc. - just before making the big decision, like it's not gonna sway them!

4) If they decide 'no' because they can't afford a house in Sydney, for example, then why not try another state - e.g. South Australia, which is less expensive?

Sorry to ramble, it just irks me that the same issues crop up EVERY TIME!! (and yet I still watch it, just to get my Oz 'fix', hehe).
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

I hope the program gets better, and I am sure Nicky Chapman was in front of a green screen and wind machine in the last bit of VT.

These were the most ill-researched people yet, it was like an episode of Bullseye, "and look what you could have won, a beach side apartment in Coogee for only double your budget at $600,000! Take it away boys!!!"

Stop laughing Jim give em the BFH
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

WOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant future

Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Originally Posted by cj321
For all you guys outside of the UK you need to join thebox or uknova, these are essential for expats in Australia as the local TV is dire. These sites have been mentioned in these forums many times so do a search if you need more information on how to watch UK TV.

Hope this helps

Chris
Sorry to hijack the subject but both of these sites are not allowing any further people to join without an invite. Seems a bit crap that they don't have the IT infrastructure to cope with demand.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, please remember when commenting on the participants in these programmes that a lot of them are BE members. They may be silent ones, not posting, but out if respect please keep the personal comments to a minimum
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Billabong
Sorry to hijack the subject but both of these sites are not allowing any further people to join without an invite. Seems a bit crap that they don't have the IT infrastructure to cope with demand.
PM me a valid email address and I will send you an invite.
It's not always necessary as inactive users are removed periodically.

Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Guys, please remember when commenting on the participants in these programmes that a lot of them are BE members. They may be silent ones, not posting, but out if respect please keep the personal comments to a minimum
Fair comment....can we still slay the programme makers?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:25 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WOMBATGIRL
Totally agree. The reasons people decide not to emigrate are frustrating - things like "oh it's so hot", "I'd get homesick", "it's so far away" etc. are things they knew before going.

Other things that irritate me about this programme:-

1) Why do the programme makers always show them houses over budget? They're looking at £300-400k so they show them one for £500K??!!! I wouldn't even step through the front door! :curse:

2) Their expectations are so unrealistic - surely the first thing you do before flying out to Oz is look on real estate websites?? Have they not googled interest rates in Oz to see that they're higher than the UK therefore they couldn't afford the same mortgage as in the UK? :curse:

3) I'm convinced they edit the family videos to just show the weepy stuff, like how much their friends / family will miss them, etc. - just before making the big decision, like it's not gonna sway them!

4) If they decide 'no' because they can't afford a house in Sydney, for example, then why not try another state - e.g. South Australia, which is less expensive?

Sorry to ramble, it just irks me that the same issues crop up EVERY TIME!! (and yet I still watch it, just to get my Oz 'fix', hehe).
Sorry, completely off-topic, but

Yay! Love wombats!

I'll get me coat...
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:29 am
Account Closed

innojuk is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=tonrob;7136109]Sorry, completely off-topic, but

Yay! Love wombats!QUOTE]

When travelliing from Perth to Adelaide on the Greyhound bus the driver referred to them as 'parcelled bricks'
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:41 am
Just Joined

aliboppa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to all, new to this forum and it is my 1st post, so here goes. I have been watching this programme for the last three years as we as a family have thought about moving to Australia in a year or so when I have experience as a nurse under my belt.

I just wondered if there is anyone on here that has been on the programme and how they found it and if they went ahead with the move as the BBC always seems to send them somewhere that a) doesn't match there family lifestyle b) sends them somewhere which is way out of there price range.

We are thinking of Melbourne and wouldn't choose being too close to the city as we have looked on real estate sites and cannot afford it. Any info would be appreciated.

Phew, 1st post out of the way. Thanks.xxx
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice

Originally Posted by Billabong
sorry too to hijack....but I've managed to join thebox no problem, now all I need to do is find the darn programme on there

Dawn
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:15 am
Account Closed

innojuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I do wonder what criteria the programme makers use to pick the people they are going to feature on this programme.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Someone came on here from the last series I think saying that the programme makers found them through a migration agency, and that everyone on there had applied for visas already.

Just goes to show how little people research if they are so anti the place straight off.

If I were on that programme and they took me to a house I would never be able to afford, I would not be going in, however nice it was for them to send me over. What is the point? Surely it isn't THAT hard to find houses they could afford? And you chose the city, here is your bedsit.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

gotta love wombats

We emmigrate in May and know that :-

1) we will hve to work harder in oz than we do here. (I'm in IT OH is a psychologist)
2) it will not be utopia, it will be what we make it.
3) houses are not always cheaper
4) oz has crime and bad drivers
5) it will be harder before it gets easier

This is not my main list for going LOL but if helps to go with lesser expectations and then you won't be as disappointed if all things don't pan out.

If I went after watching a series of WDU and nothing else I would be disappointed (but I haven't missed an episode LOL)

Each to their own, I an being deliberately pessimistic, my oh and I have for the last 7 years toward this but my feet have to stay planted in reality.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Having lived in Adelaide , it's a great city, excellent region, food, wine, schools lifestyle and so forth, what is lacking is career prospects, to expect the Williams to come and have a significant setback in terms of career, significant reduction in income and then to risk all to get back is a hard ask, I know , I did similar, thought I'd weather it and failed, almost cost me my marriage.

Adelaide great city, if you want to live in the 1950's , otherwise too hard basket.

pity really, it has so much potential.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.