Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

I enjoy the show. I like seeing the houses and what you can get for your money. The only bit I walk away from is the video from family and friends. Yes, we all know it is going to be hard but sometimes I feel it is like blackmail the way some family members talk to those who are considering it.

Putting the kids through that too is not nice.

It is good that they are doing more this show in NZ and Tassie.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

You are totally correct..........I really am sorry I just got carried away.

And my full apologies to any participants concerned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As I have said repeatedly in the past, many BE posters have either been in current or previous series' of Wanted Down Under and similar programmes. Please be aware of this when commenting on the people involved in the programmes - they are entitled to the same respect as any other poster.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seayork2002
You are totally correct..........I really am sorry I just got carried away.

And my full apologies to any participants concerned
Thats OK - a lot of people don't realise many of the participants are posters here. The one I always remember is Debreeve, who went to the Sunshine Coast - I met her once at a meet up there - but if you look at some of the previous long threads for these shows you should track down some of the others
Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I am sure they are nice people and deep down I do think it is the editing

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats OK - a lot of people don't realise many of the participants are posters here. The one I always remember is Debreeve, who went to the Sunshine Coast - I met her once at a meet up there - but if you look at some of the previous long threads for these shows you should track down some of the others
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:15 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seayork2002
I am sure they are nice people and deep down I do think it is the editing
I'm sure a lot of it is - having read the experiences of some of them on here, telling how they were portrayed in a totally different way from how the trip actually went, the amount of editing sounds scary.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

pailuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Originally Posted by aliboppa
Hi to all, new to this forum and it is my 1st post, so here goes. I have been watching this programme for the last three years as we as a family have thought about moving to Australia in a year or so when I have experience as a nurse under my belt.

I just wondered if there is anyone on here that has been on the programme and how they found it and if they went ahead with the move as the BBC always seems to send them somewhere that a) doesn't match there family lifestyle b) sends them somewhere which is way out of there price range.

We are thinking of Melbourne and wouldn't choose being too close to the city as we have looked on real estate sites and cannot afford it. Any info would be appreciated.

Phew, 1st post out of the way. Thanks.xxx
Hi I noticed that you live in Newcastle are you doing your nurse training at the moment because I am doing my at Northumbria uni will be finished march 2010 we are hoping to go Wellard just outside perth that September
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Jenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

We are aware that everybody is entitled to their opinion and this show is not for everyone but why moan about something no-one is forced to watch, that's why TV has various channels, plus they all have an on /off switch. If it's not your cup of tea, why watch it?

With all due respect, surely you must have something better to do with your time!

In answer to some of your questions (see the following threads) having been one of the families taken over by BBC Wanted Down Under (Hughes Family - Liverpool taken to Darwin) I'll answer a few of your points.

Helena39 - Is it just me or are this years programs CRAP None of the families seem to have done any research and I wonder if BBC just dragged 20 families off the street and asked them if they wanted a free holiday.

Our programme has drawn nothing but support from people known and not known to us in and outside of Liverpool, and have been told by many that we actually showed 'all people/families from Liverpool (and UK)are not all bad', the majority of people are good people. The media always seem to focus on the negativity. Don't get me wrong Liverpool has some problems, no different to other places in the UK but there are a lot of hard working people in Liverpool (and UK), who although love the city and UK but have become disillusioned with where we are all heading. There does not seem to be any 'recognition' for being a decent, honest hardworking citizen, we just seem to be being knocked down further, no matter how hard we work to try to improve our lifestyle!

Whilst we have nothing but praise for the BBC, I cannot speak for other families but certainly for us we did not class it as a holiday. Yes, we had a fantastic time but don't get me wrong it was a very jam packed week (that is all we went for a week, in case someone questions that), we're certainly not complaining, it was a hell of an opportunity but we actually did a lot of research of our own whilst we were there. We did not spend the time whilst not filming, lying on a beach but used it for the sole reason why we applied to the show, to see if it could be a better life for us. There was a lot more filmed but obviously it has to be edited to fit into a 45 minute programme. However, who knows whether it will be, unless we move over there properly for more than a week. Only time will tell! Watch this space!

Helena39 - You can tell after the first 2 mins watching whether or not they will be going.

We got a great feeling of being welcomed and wanted in Australia, and what it could offer all of us, hence our decision to vote for Oz. After more than 18 months research via various routes, prior to applying, my husband has initiated his visa application since us experiencing a taste of what life could be like for us, especially Dave, who works extremely long hard manual hours, out in all weather conditions, with little or no leisure time, just work to bed most weeks! Huge thanks to the BBC for giving us a chance to do something that may have taken us a lot of time to do.

Helena39 - Its been on 2 weeks now and they haven't shown anyone thinking of Queensland.

Unsure of what areas are covered in this series but Darwin was covered for the first time this series.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Jenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura about

MUST LEAVE UK - the liverpool family have been the most genuine, i wish them luck.

THANK YOU for your lovely comment and Good Luck wishes, they are much appreciated. The situation mentioned with Dave on our Wedding Day was only one of a series of events that have unexpectedly put us through the mill in life, especially in the early years. We just HAD to get on with things and we have stuck together through thick and thin, something people give up on too easily nowadays. It has made us stronger than we ever thought we could be as we've always been VERY close but first and foremost we are 'best friends', which I think is a valuable quality to have in any relationship.

As I said we have received nothing but positivity and people felt we represented the 'average UK family, working hard, paying our way, trying to make ends meet, keeping our heads above water and like most wanting better for our families than we receive back for contributing to society'.

MUST LEAVE UK - as this is series 3 ?. does anyone know if any families from the previous series went over to live, thanks to the bbc ???

I know at least one or two families they have revisited who have made the brave move. Also there are some families whose circumstances can change at anytime, as we all know in the current climate, from which we are all suffering in one way or another.

MUST LEAVE UK - perhaps it not even Oz then.

Believe me, it definitely was Oz and what a place it was! There's something about the country that just gets right under your skin, in a good way. Like everywhere there are always problems but it's how they are dealt with and whether there is 'respect' for others, which they seem to have retained, which is diminishing fast in society, especially in the UK. People are too wrapped up in themselves, without giving others a second thought. How sad!

That's why for us, family is the main pulling factor in the UK but we have to think to the future and further than now to do our best for our own young family and us, before we miss our chance and it's too late. I think people are sometimes more 'people sick' than 'homesick' However, we know it's not going to be a bed of roses, we expect ups and downs! Anyone who thinks any less is kidding themselves and very naive.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

seayork2002 - Call me paranoid but I am thinking they are all actors/actresses (to be politically correct) employed by a joint venture with the BBC and the Australian tourist board and if so they are doing a terrible job at it.

Believe me WE WERE AND ARE NOT actors/actresses. Yes, we were taken care of and looked after by the BBC whilst in Oz but we WERE NOT paid. As I said everybody is entitled to their opinion but in this case you will have to accept YOU ARE WRONG on both counts!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

I said I was "thinking", alright my fault for not putting a smiley or something but I was joking!

Originally Posted by Jenny Hughes
seayork2002 - Call me paranoid but I am thinking they are all actors/actresses (to be politically correct) employed by a joint venture with the BBC and the Australian tourist board and if so they are doing a terrible job at it.

Believe me WE WERE AND ARE NOT actors/actresses. Yes, we were taken care of and looked after by the BBC whilst in Oz but we WERE NOT paid. As I said everybody is entitled to their opinion but in this case you will have to accept YOU ARE WRONG on both counts!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Have seen a few of this series and whilst the people are genuine the portrayal of the week by the BBC is quite extraordinary.

Show those who are WDU three properties and on the basis of their response that's all of the housing in Australia taken care of! Please!

When we did live there it was in a modest three bed plus study one open space new build on the Gold Coast plus pool. I'm not sure what it had cost to build but it was far more modest than those of our neighbors but that didn't make a jot of difference.

Take it at face value, as light entertainment but above all else as an opportunity to see some more of Australia
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

We are aware that everybody is entitled to their opinion and this show is not for everyone but why moan about something no-one is forced to watch, that's why TV has various channels, plus they all have an on /off switch. If it's not your cup of tea, why watch it?

With all due respect, surely you must have something better to do with your time!

In answer to some of your questions (see the following threads) having been one of the families taken over by BBC Wanted Down Under (Hughes Family - Liverpool taken to Darwin) I'll answer a few of your points.

Helena39 - Is it just me or are this years programs CRAP None of the families seem to have done any research and I wonder if BBC just dragged 20 families off the street and asked them if they wanted a free holiday.

Our programme has drawn nothing but support from people known and not known to us in and outside of Liverpool, and have been told by many that we actually showed 'all people/families from Liverpool (and UK)are not all bad', the majority of people are good people. The media always seem to focus on the negativity. Don't get me wrong Liverpool has some problems, no different to other places in the UK but there are a lot of hard working people in Liverpool (and UK), who although love the city and UK but have become disillusioned with where we are all heading. There does not seem to be any 'recognition' for being a decent, honest hardworking citizen, we just seem to be being knocked down further, no matter how hard we work to try to improve our lifestyle!

Whilst we have nothing but praise for the BBC, I cannot speak for other families but certainly for us we did not class it as a holiday. Yes, we had a fantastic time but don't get me wrong it was a very jam packed week (that is all we went for a week, in case someone questions that), we're certainly not complaining, it was a hell of an opportunity but we actually did a lot of research of our own whilst we were there. We did not spend the time whilst not filming, lying on a beach but used it for the sole reason why we applied to the show, to see if it could be a better life for us. There was a lot more filmed but obviously it has to be edited to fit into a 45 minute programme. However, who knows whether it will be, unless we move over there properly for more than a week. Only time will tell! Watch this space!

Helena39 - You can tell after the first 2 mins watching whether or not they will be going.

We got a great feeling of being welcomed and wanted in Australia, and what it could offer all of us, hence our decision to vote for Oz. After more than 18 months research via various routes, prior to applying, my husband has initiated his visa application since us experiencing a taste of what life could be like for us, especially Dave, who works extremely long hard manual hours, out in all weather conditions, with little or no leisure time, just work to bed most weeks! Huge thanks to the BBC for giving us a chance to do something that may have taken us a lot of time to do.

Helena39 - Its been on 2 weeks now and they haven't shown anyone thinking of Queensland.

Unsure of what areas are covered in this series but Darwin was covered for the first time this series.
Hi Jenny,

I meant no offence to you or Liverpool. I am getting very disheartened looking at it cause nobody seems to really want to go. We can't wait so I was just commenting on the fact that they are very different to the last series. That's all..........Believe it or not I do a lot of crying at the "family message part". Actually I thought that your family where the only one's that had a great attitude. I record them on Sky Plus and delete them. I have actually kept your one as inspiration. Best wishes for your new life.

Helena
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:51 pm
Home and Happy

Hi Jenny, and welcome to BE
I think you are the first from this series to post (there may be others lurking.....) but as you may have read in my post above we usually end up with a few new posters from each series. Its always good to hear the reality behind TV shows like this.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Jenny Hughes;7178077]We are aware that everybody is entitled to their opinion and this show is not for everyone but why moan about something no-one is forced to watch, that's why TV has various channels, plus they all have an on /off switch. If it's not your cup of tea, why watch it?

, unless we move over there properly for more than a week. Only time will tell! Watch this space

, prior to applying, my husband has initiated his visa application since us experiencing a taste of what life could be like for us, especially Dave, who works extremely long hard manual hours, out in all weather conditions, with little or no leisure time, just work to bed most weeks!

Yes jenny everyone is entitled to their opinion.. but I think IMHO that what most seem to be saying is this series is s**t.. they show houses WELL over budget, and lets face it (MOST OF US) cannot go over budget..so does this show REALLY give you an idea of what life down under is like? dont get me wrong I have lived in AUS (Perth) for over 30+ years and for me its HOME..but i can honestly say this series dosent show what LIFE is really like!!!!!!!
I hope you and your family make the right decision for yourselves..(yes i do know how hard that is) We thought your episode was one of the best, you really seem to have your feet on the ground..Im sure that no-one wants to cause you any distress.. may you have good luck whatever you decide to do...
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:02 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

.....and, if you are in the public eye, I suggest a little less ranting about the UK.

You will look awfully silly if it doesn't work out and you have to return some day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.