Wages

Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:03 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wages

Originally Posted by Grayling
Well 1st 4 weeks he worked there he got $470 a week working 35 hours but even though they told him he was getting minimum of 30 hours a week - it's officially casual - so they told him not to come in twice last week as they had not work for him and he got under $340. Means budgetting is impossible and as it's last minute he's told not to come in, he can't get another job to supliment. Trouble is were both qualified in such a speciallised field that we can't get work as there are no vacancies - and qualified for little else. My field is who you know..not what you know! The idea was that hubby got a full time, so it would leave me time to persue my career and get to know the industry. HMMMM! Not such a great plan...especially not with 2 kids! HMMM! Perhaps Boomie and I should share a pint and chat! I have lots of skills to go into self employement and start a small business...but to be honest...at this stage I've lost my will to fight! You need to give a new business 100% I have little will just now! Hopefully soon!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
I've seen some pretty lousy salaries in my time.....but if $27,000 is for a full time job, then I'd consider it exploitation
Unfortunately that kind of wage is more common than you think - I'm on $34k, but The Bloke is in the ranks of those below the $30k mark - and yes, thats full time, and 2 weeks out of three are 6-day weeks.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Unfortunately that kind of wage is more common than you think - I'm on $34k, but The Bloke is in the ranks of those below the $30k mark - and yes, thats full time, and 2 weeks out of three are 6-day weeks.
But there are huge regional differences - at least there are in IT, and I'd assume other professions too. In Brisbane you'd be looking at 50 - 60% of what you'd earn in Sydney or Melbourne for the same job.

I've no idea whether the cost of living is that much less in Brissie.

Phil
Old Jun 16th 2005, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

numbers is on a distinguished road

all this is very worrying, i live in south wales and im not well off although i earn a fair salary as an accountant. My OZ wages equivalent would be about $88k but i know i wouldnt get that there and to take a drop from this would be difficult. Especially as OZ is having a housing boom, and nil mortgages are no longer an option, i think my mortgage would be the same as here even with an £80k deposit. Im doing a lot more research on salaries before i commit to Auz, end of the day we want to go for a better lifestyle (for me weather is not the benefit as i love rain). I dont know how you all cope on those salaries, and i dont have kids :scared:
Old Jun 16th 2005, 7:21 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I am with Pol, you should be happy with that amount for one person!!! Some live on less with a family to support. It ain't all hearts and flowers with jobs and money!

Tell me why am I going back to Oz????

M

Old Jun 16th 2005, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Well I for one wont be earning anywhere near that and I am on my own with 2 (3 if I'm lucky) kids to support :scared:

God help me

Tracey
Old Jun 16th 2005, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by numbers
all this is very worrying, i live in south wales and im not well off although i earn a fair salary as an accountant. My OZ wages equivalent would be about $88k but i know i wouldnt get that there and to take a drop from this would be difficult.
Absolutely. You need to think long and hard about whether you can afford to live there.

At the end of the day you have to be passionate about going to Oz; by and large, white collar workers are paid significantly less than here.

As you know, the housing boom didn't just happen there it happened there too so $500k is average for Sydney. Perth, Adelaide, etc are not much more than half the Sydney average but there will be far fewer economic opportunities, ie, some jobs will pay half (if you can get one at all).

Will your UK accountancy qualifications be recognised there?
Old Jun 16th 2005, 9:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PhilShila
But there are huge regional differences - at least there are in IT, and I'd assume other professions too. In Brisbane you'd be looking at 50 - 60% of what you'd earn in Sydney or Melbourne for the same job.

I've no idea whether the cost of living is that much less in Brissie.

Phil
In engineering, rates in Perth are on par (if not higher) with Sydney or Melbourne.

Supply & demand I guess.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Can I just ask the people from families where the main breadwinner is earning $30k or less full time what that they expected to earn before they left the UK and whether they got in as skilled migrants?
Old Jun 16th 2005, 9:46 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Can I just ask the people from families where the main breadwinner is earning $30k or less full time what that they expected to earn before they left the UK and whether they got in as skilled migrants?
at a guess unskilled people were probably earning GBP15?? I remember earning GBP11 in my first ever job after uni!!!! A graduate in a programme started on GBP14!!!! That was 10 years ago - makes you realise that wages have gone up everywhere.

I don't really *necessarily* buy into wages are less in Australia- its just that people have got used to high incomes in a niche job and have had to start again - the watchword is that you can't always resume in Australia where you left off in the UK.

What I have learnt in life is alot of people earn more than you realise - a lot earn a lot less..the average can be quite hard to achieve. (of course).

badge

Last edited by Badge; Jun 16th 2005 at 9:49 pm.

Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Badge
I don't really *necessarily* buy into wages are less in Australia- its just that people have got used to high incomes in a niche job and have had to start again - the watchword is that you can't always resume in Australia where you left off in the UK.
Hmm, but it amounts to the same thing for the person who emigrates.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:33 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by numbers
all this is very worrying, i live in south wales and im not well off although i earn a fair salary as an accountant. My OZ wages equivalent would be about $88k but i know i wouldnt get that there and to take a drop from this would be difficult. Especially as OZ is having a housing boom, and nil mortgages are no longer an option, i think my mortgage would be the same as here even with an £80k deposit. Im doing a lot more research on salaries before i commit to Auz, end of the day we want to go for a better lifestyle (for me weather is not the benefit as i love rain). I dont know how you all cope on those salaries, and i dont have kids :scared:
Hi there Numbers,

Just passing through and saw your post...

Accountancy is a fairly good line to be in over here although it depends, very much like back in the UK, at what level you are working. 'Beancounters' are appallingly paid but corporate level accountants do very well for themselves, there's also a huge tax related sector.

You're probably looking at perm job's - consider talking to an agency about contracting for a year or so, the money is better and you get to see the business from the inside and, most importantly, build up the contacts that are so important. The other thing worth considering is building up some other, associated skills. Business Analysis is a hot area at the moment. A qualified Accountant/BA is a sought after combination (at least it is here in Adelaide). In my case, I'm an IT manager by trade, but really got a job (for more than I was paid in UK) on the basis of a Project Management qualification that I'd hardly ever used back in the UK.

All the best

Perry
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:49 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of people here work for nothing, go to any museum or attraction, like Rottnest or AQUA and you'll find at least half the staff are "volunteers" working for sod all.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:16 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

The going rate for a direct ( wages ) plumber is about $25.00 an hr.....about £10-11..plus superannuation .....here on the Goldcoast.

Self employed......$30-40.00

If your running your own company.......you can charge around...$55-65.00 p/hr.

Thats my eexperience...anyway....

all the best plum
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:19 am
ABCDiamond

Here's an example of a short term contract accounting job:
Title: Accountant
Advertiser: Hays Accountancy & Finance - Mt Gravatt
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2005
Description: Short term contract, $30-35/hr, convenient location, parking available, assisting with end of year financial reporting.
Get the full details of this job, here : http://www.seek.com.au/jobmail.asp?jobid=5165932

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.