Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

employment in briz

employment in briz

Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:02 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default employment in briz

The reason the unemployment list is so low is because most positions filled are either casual, part-time or as and when required!
Andy has been in the same trade for the last 20 years...... to get on the job ladder he had to accept a job of office junior, which pays $441 per week.....

boomie

Last edited by Boomie; Jun 9th 2005 at 9:11 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: employment in briz

Originally Posted by Boomie
The reason the unemployment list is so low is because most positions filled are either casual, part-time or as and when required!
Andy has been in the same trade for the last 20 years...... to get on the job ladder he had to accept a job of office junior, which pays $441 per week.....

boomie

Yikes Boomie

Hope he is able to get something better soon

Good luck karma sent.

G
Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Does nobody want to discuss threads like this?

G
Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:57 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Does nobody want to discuss threads like this?

G
I would but I'm stressed out enough thinking about the move I choose to plant my head firmly in the sand on this one until I get out there
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fraser
I would but I'm stressed out enough thinking about the move I choose to plant my head firmly in the sand on this one until I get out there
I think that it is just plain scary , its most peoples fear not finding a job that will support them ,
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:08 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by charlie brown
I think that it is just plain scary , its most peoples fear not finding a job that will support them ,
This is the main reason I want to buy a house with the equity form our UK one, and then look at getting a mortgage in a couple of years time for something bigger when we are settled with jobs etc. Hubby is impatient and wants the big house straight away which would mean mortgage straight away Not heading for Brisbane though, off to Perth. Sorry to interfere with Brizzie thread.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:11 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
This is the main reason I want to buy a house with the equity form our UK one, and then look at getting a mortgage in a couple of years time for something bigger when we are settled with jobs etc. Hubby is impatient and wants the big house straight away which would mean mortgage straight away Not heading for Brisbane though, off to Perth. Sorry to interfere with Brizzie thread.
This situation is not unique to Brisbane.

G
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:12 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry

The same as me I'd rather buy a bigger house in a less desirable area and have no mortgage
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:12 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Grayling
This situation is not unique to Brisbane.

G
No I figured that. Hopefully you will get your wish and this thread will gather momentum now
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

The same as me I'd rather buy a bigger house in a less desirable area and have no mortgage
I'm not sure I have lived in areas that haven't been great and would rather have a smaller house in a better area. The no mortgage thing sounds good though. unfortunately we are not in that position. We got some capital from our house, but hadn't owned it that long.

As for jobs in Brissie, my hubby started doing a job taking phone call in a call centre, but happily after about a month and a half he got a job equivalent to what he was doing back in the UK. I can appreciate how hard it is for you and your hubby, 'cus it was no fun for those few weeks when Tim was doing a job he was over qualified for, in terms of money and job satisfaction for him.

I hope your hubby finds a decent job soon.

Katie
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I'm not sure I have lived in areas that haven't been great and would rather have a smaller house in a better area. The no mortgage thing sounds good though. unfortunately we are not in that position. We got some capital from our house, but hadn't owned it that long.

As for jobs in Brissie, my hubby started doing a job taking phone call in a call centre, but happily after about a month and a half he got a job equivalent to what he was doing back in the UK. I can appreciate how hard it is for you and your hubby, 'cus it was no fun for those few weeks when Tim was doing a job he was over qualified for, in terms of money and job satisfaction for him.

I hope your hubby finds a decent job soon.

Katie
But an undesirable area in Melbourne isn't any worse and in fact better than London which is where we are now.

I keep looking at cranbourne and people are saying to me it's a bad area, but I've seen it on a map there's a nature reserve, golf course, botanical Gdns, race track and it's surrounded by rural land and twenty minutes from the beach.

I keep asking myself how bad can it be when I can buy a 4 bed 2 bath home and have no mortgage there.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

boomie
Same here in Perth, hubby has just finished 3 months of nights and it was a killer. Thankfully the money was good and it has finished just in time for when I needed him around. Perhaps Andy will be able to climb up bit by bit, it's often who you know, or you have to be in the right place at the right time.
ATB
Larissa
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:54 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

boomie

Hi Boomie,

Hubby is in a similar position,was with the same company for 17years,worked his way up to a management position with that company,over here though the 17years seems to count for nothing
Don't get me wrong,he has managed to get a position he is now happy with but the wage is utter crap far less than what he was getting back home & even then that wage was poor!
Hubby applied for several positions & was offered several jobs in his trade but he walked out of the interviews appalled by the wage on offer.

Hope things get better for Andy soon x

Donna.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:59 am
Phoenixuk2oz

boomie
I've also mentioned this a few times on Expats Boomie. It's a downside to living here so you're not alone in your thinking. However, having now lived here 11 months what I have found is that the "disposable" working attitude works both ways i.e. loyalty from employees is not expected here either.... so no feeling guilty if you move on for more money or fancy a change etc.

I personally think low unemployment with little or no loyalty in the market place is a false economy for business's . It doesn't show long term thinking and it's costly in the long run however this is not dissimilar with how the UK used to be some 10/15 years ago.

I remember in the UK company I worked in <a large company too] that continuous contracts were given out, a year at a time. People were regulaly "rolled over" from one year to the next so as the company didn't pay holiday pay, absence pay etc. Then the laws changed in UK to make this more of a balanced approach i.e fair to employer/employee and few people are treated this way now in UK. If any. Thank goodness.

It's for this reason that I think eventually Aus will follow suit. This type of employee exploitation doesn't make for a good, stable economy regardless as to how good it looks on the Aus economy in terms of low employment levels.

The good news?: It seems most of us from UK have had to start at the bottom of the ladder again, a real piss off factor given most of us also had to demonstrate how highly skilled we are to get here via skilled Visa in the first place ...

However it seems [from my experience and others I talk to] that eventually you can climb up again. It seems for some reason Aussies like to see you have gained some Aussie experience first before employing you at the level you have worked to in UK. In my case, after 10 months I was approached for two very good jobs both with excellent salaries and had a choice. And believe me....I had a lousy job <compared to UK> when I first landed in Aus.

The moral of the story is take anything within reason <advice given to me when I came>...and you'll soon catch up salary and job wise.

So tell hubbie not to lose heart at this stage, swallow his pride...and demonstrate his worth. If he's a good worker and knows his stuf...then he'll be OK.

Good luck m8

Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:02 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Cranbournes not an undesirable area, you could do a lot worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.