Wages

Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wages

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Here's an example of a short term contract accounting job:
Title: Accountant
Advertiser: Hays Accountancy & Finance - Mt Gravatt
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2005
Description: Short term contract, $30-35/hr, convenient location, parking available, assisting with end of year financial reporting.
Get the full details of this job, here : http://www.seek.com.au/jobmail.asp?jobid=5165932
How about Chartered Accountant, UK Qualification?
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by tony126
Not sure, but it will depend a lot on location, and whether the job requires specific "local" knowledge.
I never qualified myself, but I was getting $30ph in Sydney in 1988

That job info came from www.seek.com.au

Old Jun 17th 2005, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kentcoast
Hi there Numbers,I'm an IT manager by trade, but really got a job (for more than I was paid in UK) on the basis of a Project Management qualification that I'd hardly ever used back in the UK.
Congratulations! How would you characterise the Adelaide IT job market at the moment? What size of company were you IT Manager for back in the UK and now?
Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:56 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Congratulations! How would you characterise the Adelaide IT job market at the moment? What size of company were you IT Manager for back in the UK and now?
Variable.... Not great for analysts/programmers, better for web-heads and infrastructure people, SAP and Oracle Financials will always find work, basic frist line techies (support/install etc) can find jobs but are very badly paid, middle managers (like me) will find it hard unless they bundle an in demand skill like Project Management, Service Management, Security Management or Business Analysis and senior managers haven't got a hope unless they can get an 'in'.

As for your last question - Government in the UK and the same here. Difference is in the UK I had a 'job for life' here I'm on yearly contract. The plus side is that I'm getting more money for doing less work (I'd guess that compared to the UK I'm working at about 40% capacity - but I was doing more than was heathy back there!)

Perry
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tony126
Well I think that depends on where you are in the UK (i.e. London or the regions). I am transferring from Germany to Perth with my current employer. My German salary is about 85% of the UK equivalent and my Perth salary will be about 75% of the German (if that makes sense). So basically less.

BUT

At the end of the day its not about the money provided you have enough.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:09 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Unfortunately that kind of wage is more common than you think - I'm on $34k, but The Bloke is in the ranks of those below the $30k mark - and yes, thats full time, and 2 weeks out of three are 6-day weeks.
I suppose all things are relative Polly. For example I know white collar jobs here in Aus generally pay less than UK......so I suppose this has to be accepted when anyone moves here

The thing I've found is that the main way to earn as much, if not more than in UK....is to take on contract work. Not everyone's cuppa tea...but can pay dividends if you're not bothered about perm work. Sometimes

Old Jun 17th 2005, 10:08 am
Badge

Originally Posted by kentcoast
Variable.... Not great for analysts/programmers,
Perry
would have thought there were less web head types - all been blown away with the last of the cowboys in the dot bomb bust.

A good old fashioned programmer can always maintain something somewhere.

badge

Old Jun 17th 2005, 11:04 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
I suppose all things are relative Polly. For example I know white collar jobs here in Aus generally pay less than UK......so I suppose this has to be accepted when anyone moves here

The thing I've found is that the main way to earn as much, if not more than in UK....is to take on contract work. Not everyone's cuppa tea...but can pay dividends if you're not bothered about perm work. Sometimes
I found in Oz I was no better off as a temp than I was perm and I did not get holidays as a temp.

M

Old Jun 17th 2005, 11:16 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi just wondering is a salary of $27,000 enough to survive on if your mortgage free and have no kids??
Old Jun 17th 2005, 11:23 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Merlot
I found in Oz I was no better off as a temp than I was perm and I did not get holidays as a temp.

M
Perhaps differs for different skills Merlot

I agree, salaries, benefits and stability are generally not as good as UK.

Aus is also behind the times in terms of equal ops....BIG time....it's one big boys club and the country is WELL behind in equal opps Vs UK. Cant see it changing until they stop encouraging women to be baby machines, although I understand why they are doing it [to populate "organically"].

UK was this way some 10/15 years ago re equal ops....and Aus tends to follow suit. It might just get better as we're about to retire

Still wouldn't go back for all the tea in China though

Old Jun 17th 2005, 11:25 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi just wondering is a salary of $27,000 enough to survive on if your mortgage free and have no kids??
Yeh......if you dont smoke, don't drink, don't eat

Only kidding

Depends on your wants in life, so too difficult to tell.

Old Jun 17th 2005, 11:45 am
dc1
Forum Regular

dc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the rough

I have been offered $80k + car I thought that was ok but from what you are showing it is good.

I am on £40k+car in the UKand am hoping that the cost of living makes up the difference? Any thoughts
Old Jun 17th 2005, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dc1
I have been offered $80k + car I thought that was ok but from what you are showing it is good.

I am on £40k+car in the UKand am hoping that the cost of living makes up the difference? Any thoughts
Yup, that should be fine. There was a long thread on here about $80k pa being needed for a family to have a reasonable lifestyle.

Of course, it depends on your accommodation costs and that in turn depends on which city you'll be in and how much equity you'll take with you.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 11:57 am
dc1
Forum Regular

dc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Yup, that should be fine. There was a long thread on here about $80k pa being needed for a family to have a reasonable lifestyle.

Of course, it depends on your accommodation costs and that in turn depends on which city you'll be in and how much equity you'll take with you.
Will be in Bendigo and hoping to have no mortgage, so no rental costs (after first 6 months)

DC
Old Jun 17th 2005, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc1
Will be in Bendigo and hoping to have no mortgage, so no rental costs (after first 6 months)

DC
Despite what you read on here, you can't do a literal divide by 2.5 to get the pound sterling equivalent of your wage. It IS cheaper here, not for everything, but overall it is.

$80K sounds fine, especially with no mortgage.

JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.