Wages

Old Jun 17th 2005, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wages

Originally Posted by dc1
Will be in Bendigo and hoping to have no mortgage, so no rental costs (after first 6 months)
You'll be absolutely living the high life in Bendigo. Bear in mind that your house there could be a depreciating asset - "in the last 3 months, median property values for Bendigo And Region (VIC) have decreased by 9%". Median house price for May was a mere $215k - see http://www.commbank.com.au/propertyvalueguide/

Can I ask what you do for a living and if the job offer is guaranteed?
Old Jun 17th 2005, 12:31 pm
dc1
Forum Regular

dc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
You'll be absolutely living the high life in Bendigo. Bear in mind that your house there could be a depreciating asset - "in the last 3 months, median property values for Bendigo And Region (VIC) have decreased by 9%". Median house price for May was a mere $215k - see http://www.commbank.com.au/propertyvalueguide/

Can I ask what you do for a living and if the job offer is guaranteed?
Management for Utilities (water - although they have not got much) I have a job offer guaranteed on me getting my Visa. I am being sponsored on a 457 Visa initially as they are trying to get me over there in the next 6 weeks. Once there they will sponsor me on a permanent visa (all in writing if that counts.

DC
Old Jun 17th 2005, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tony126
Is $A60,000 a good wage in Melbourne? Just inquisitive.

How long is a piece of string?

for a road sweeper...yes
for a rocket scientist ...no

Please be more specific and you will get a more accurate answer to your question.

Mark
Old Jun 17th 2005, 12:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

In the current issue of Railstaff (railway industry newspaper) there is an ad for construction managers & signalling designers for Australia, paying AUD110k+benefits, which is pretty good candy.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Amazulu
In the current issue of Railstaff (railway industry newspaper) there is an ad for construction managers & signalling designers for Australia, paying AUD110k+benefits, which is pretty good candy.
I fully expect to get a job paying $120K min - maybe even up to $150k and I ain't going 'til I've secured it !!

Am I serious? - yes, I am.

Phil
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:10 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PhilShila
I fully expect to get a job paying $120K min - maybe even up to $150k and I ain't going 'til I've secured it !!

Am I serious? - yes, I am.

Phil
Agree. I want $100k minimum after a year (I'll take $80k in the 1st year). The jobs are there, I've got another phone interview on Tuesday. If I can't get this then we'll be living somewhere else. I want to live down there, but not at any price.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PhilShila
I fully expect to get a job paying $120K min - maybe even up to $150k
That's nice for you.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

I want to live down there, but not at any price.
Yup, this is a very sensible attitude.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

numbers is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kentcoast
Hi there Numbers,

Just passing through and saw your post...

Accountancy is a fairly good line to be in over here although it depends, very much like back in the UK, at what level you are working. 'Beancounters' are appallingly paid but corporate level accountants do very well for themselves, there's also a huge tax related sector.

You're probably looking at perm job's - consider talking to an agency about contracting for a year or so, the money is better and you get to see the business from the inside and, most importantly, build up the contacts that are so important. The other thing worth considering is building up some other, associated skills. Business Analysis is a hot area at the moment. A qualified Accountant/BA is a sought after combination (at least it is here in Adelaide). In my case, I'm an IT manager by trade, but really got a job (for more than I was paid in UK) on the basis of a Project Management qualification that I'd hardly ever used back in the UK.

All the best

Perry
Thanks perry for your advice, your right, in order to maximise our earnings potential we really do need to tink Auzy, and ive been thinking about doing an MBA or similar, il do some research. IM a fianance manager and i dont count beans thank god. so im closer to the corporate function rather than have no personality and in love with my calculater (sorry Beancounters ) many thanks

Numbers
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:48 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by numbers
Thanks perry for your advice, your right, in order to maximise our earnings potential we really do need to tink Auzy, and ive been thinking about doing an MBA or similar, il do some research. IM a fianance manager and i dont count beans thank god. so im closer to the corporate function rather than have no personality and in love with my calculater (sorry Beancounters ) many thanks

Numbers
An MBA is not necessarily deemed a benefit in Aus. Unfortunately

You might be better off gaining hairdresser qualifications

I'm serious

Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildmark
How long is a piece of string?

for a road sweeper...yes
for a rocket scientist ...no

Please be more specific and you will get a more accurate answer to your question.

Mark
I have, Chartered Accountant, UK qualified . Single young woman, Melbourne area.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 4:22 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
:

Still wouldn't go back for all the tea in China though
Nupe, once we leave Blighty we won't be coming back in a hurry.

M

Old Jun 17th 2005, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. I want $100k minimum after a year (I'll take $80k in the 1st year). The jobs are there, I've got another phone interview on Tuesday. If I can't get this then we'll be living somewhere else. I want to live down there, but not at any price.
Yes, I also want at least $100k after a year. Unfortunately, I'm a nurse so that wont be happening .

Will manage on what I get. I'm not going for the money.

Tracey
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

sakfab_91 will become famous soon enoughsakfab_91 will become famous soon enough

so, ok, my fiance makes about 65K pounds in London (I am a graduate student and not working). how much money would we need to be making per year to have a comparable lifestyle in Melbourne? We want to have enough to buy a house, car, uni payments, go out a couple times a month, be able to make a trip back to visit the family every couple of years, and maybe put $500 or so into savings. My fiance says this can't be done without a salary of at least $110K. What do you think?
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:55 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc1
I have been offered $80k + car I thought that was ok but from what you are showing it is good.
Whilst the cost of living may be more expensive in Vic, I think that on $80K + car you should be fairly comfortable, especially without a mortgage. We live on similar. Its not a top wage especially in Melb where you should get more than we do here in Brisbane, but you will certainly be comfortable on it. I would just check if the salary includes superannuation or not & if any other benefits are available (we get life insurance, super, car, health insurance, car parking & various other things on top).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.