Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:59 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I have to be honest and say that I can be very elitist at times ...
No, really? I can't say I've ever noticed that about you before mate !!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Indeed. For others, it must create some sort of antagonism because if you know someone at the same grade as you and with the same broad education chances, if you then discover they have a very comfortable standard of living - there must occasionally be a sense of 'why me' - especially if your career has paralled theirs..same department perhaps same city...
I've not experienced that, though I have experienced a very elitist attitude on the part of a minority of people who (for example) consider as an AO6 they are "äbove" an AO2 because they are higher in the pecking order. Not openly a monetary thing, though that is implied as it goes hand in hand with the "level" thing. Rising through the ranks I have found it interesting to watch the attitude of a couple of people change from a "you're the dirt beneath my feet" attitude as an AO2, to being far more equal as an AO5 equivalent.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Definitely UK, no doubt at all. A millenia of class hierarchy established by the Normans is hard to rub out. Your observations are astute, IMO. I notice, in a similar way that when I tell anyone about my degree, in Australia (same for US) the first question asked is what subject, whereas in the UK it's more often than not where?
I can truthfully say that nobody has ever asked me what Uni I went to.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Oct 12th 2010 at 9:06 am.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I can truthfully say that nobody has ever asked my what Uni I went to.
So which Uni did you go to? I went to the University of Life. Am I pretentious?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've not experienced that, though I have experienced a very elitist attitude on the part of a minority of people who (for example) consider as an AO6 they are "äbove" an AO2 because they are higher in the pecking order. Not openly a monetary thing, though that is implied as it goes hand in hand with the "level" thing. Rising through the ranks I have found it interesting to watch the attitude of a couple of people change from a "you're the dirt beneath my feet" attitude as an AO2, to being far more equal as an AO5 equivalent.
just tell 'em that you're A'OK
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Same one as you, isn't that a coincidence.

Different year though as you're much older than me. !
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Same one as you, isn't that a coincidence.

Different year though as you're much older than me. !
Cheeky bugger.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

No, really? I can't say I've ever noticed that about you before mate !!
Mate - I have no issue with aspects of elitism - but only when it is maintained and delivered with a timely and innate sense of fairness and industry. (I concede that fairness does not mean everyone gets a crack...) If that elitism also shows you how to take the knocks then it is the pinnacle of human development.

As my old dear said - the thing about it is that it makes you realise you are not so privileged after all. That's why you won't hear me knock the hard grafters from all backgrounds- but you will hear me knock the wet, the trivial, and the tedious.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
In my industry you'd have to be well into middle management to start feeling the rub in that area. And although someone has more responsibility and infact, more exposure than you have, they are not 'above' you.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Yes. I tell people I obtained not just FE, or HE education but it moreorless at times meant FA. "**** All".
Old Oct 14th 2010, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Spent 15 years in London, not once did anyone suggest I should try to lose my northern accent and as for going to finishing school, do me a favour ... not suggesting you are making this up but to present this as a normal London experience is just stupid.

Perhaps you were unfortunate in the company you kept because the London you describe is unrecognisable to me. i arrived in London as a 25 years old and I can assure you I wasn't looking to see what everyone else was wearing, you seem to be the one who was doing this..?
Not my London either.Although after living there for decades then moving away for a dozen years,then back again earlier this year,i did detect more evidence of pretentiousness, perhaps, than existed previously.
No doubt thanks to the growth of the financial industry and their huge bonus's. Still a pretty nice place to be with so much to do but with certain reservations.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
In Australia no-one cares what you do to earn a crust, or where you live. There are only two or three big social divisions
      And (if the answer to the previous question is AFL)
        Perhaps this was the truth to a point in about 1956,when Australia was basicly a blue collar nation,but these times have long vanished....
        Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:03 pm
        Just Joined

spenymoon is an unknown quantity at this point

It really depends on where you come from or where you are living, where i am from a council estate in innercity Manchester its not really a big issue, if your from cheshire i think it would be very different.
        I have been here for 7 years now and i would say your average aussie is quite obsessed about money and in big debt to boot.