Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Location: herts-sydney-herts-manchester...next stop mornington peninsula?
mandoz will become famous soon enoughmandoz will become famous soon enough
Default Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Bit tongue in cheek and a kind of poll really and yes I know it depends on area you live but overall what have been your experiences? Especially if you have lived in both.
Would especially like to hear from school mums who have experienced both.
I admit I lived a different life in oz, no children when I was living there. I mixed with people from different backgrounds and the last question anyone seemed to ask was 'so what do you do then?'

Here in the uk however it seems to be all about three questions 'what does your husband do?' , 'where do you live' (as in which street, proximity to oversubscribed school, period or non period property) and 'Do you work?'.
It seems over here in england to be as my nanna used to say all 'Kippers and curtains'

Anyway am sure this will illicit some strong responses so will duck for cover now.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Originally Posted by mandoz
Bit tongue in cheek and a kind of poll really and yes I know it depends on area you live but overall what have been your experiences? Especially if you have lived in both.
Would especially like to hear from school mums who have experienced both.
I admit I lived a different life in oz, no children when I was living there. I mixed with people from different backgrounds and the last question anyone seemed to ask was 'so what do you do then?'

Here in the uk however it seems to be all about three questions 'what does your husband do?' , 'where do you live' (as in which street, proximity to oversubscribed school, period or non period property) and 'Do you work?'.
It seems over here in england to be as my nanna used to say all 'Kippers and curtains'

Anyway am sure this will illicit some strong responses so will duck for cover now.
Is this likely to turn into a battler's thread...where people glumly report their lot in life..

This is a father's view: I would say that people take an interest in you the way they might in the UK. I think people are a little less to jump in with those questions here in Australia but they might be asked eventually and only so as to work out what you might be interested in. In fact, I've met people who have only asked me what I do for a living long after I have first met them, and almost with a sense of embarassment. They might ask you what you do for a crust which I think is a good way of asking because it belittles the whole thing. (It's only money!) The last 2 times I was asked, it was asked as if - they really wondered - almost with a quizzical look.

We find that everyone has a high standard of living and understanding of where they want to be in life here, so that there is no need to tiptoe around what people do or don't do. Even the most poorest person has much to offer I should imagine that if we were living elsewhere it might be a different story. In fact, appearances can be deceptive and the people with the most interesting jobs often are the most daggiest. We are also semi-rural and people often wear their dags in any case. Infact my wife's best friend's father is worth about 20M dollars and yet they all drive around in 15-20 year old cars. They prefer to channel their energy through creative means and ways rather than through crass displays of wealth. It's funny because they then have to lend each other their cars when one breaks down!
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Does that even have to be answered, one country still clinging onto a class system based upon hundreds of years of aristocracy and everyone else aspiring, the other where people get on with their lives and try to make the most of it?
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

I find Brits to be very pretentious by nature, its in their blood to try and out nob each other at every opportunity. Sadly, Ive noticed Aussies going the same way. Depends where you live I guess.

Kippers and curtains. Love it.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:51 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience people are far more pretentious and obsessed with money and property in Australia than they are in the UK.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:09 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely UK
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:18 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

The most pretentious people post on threads like this
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:18 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

UK but some english migrants are bringing it here....
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
The most pretentious people post on threads like this
I've got considerably more money than you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHo2pXO_XAI
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:33 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

I've got considerably more money than you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHo2pXO_XAI
I doubt it not .. will check out tonorrow, Loadsamoney!
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Yeah and they all live down your way. They cant afford to live in my suburb.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is to much different from the UK,good and bad.When I lived in Woodvale there were groups of Mums that thought they were better than everyone but thats ok I would avoid them anyway.Most were Aussies which I thought I would say as the English are getting the blame again.It is not as bad in Ellenbrook maybe because there is less money around.

Though saying that one of my friends who has moved up here from Woodvale hated the pretenious Mums and though has lots of money and a wonderful house does not go on about it and is friendly to eveyone.Sue.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Location: herts-sydney-herts-manchester...next stop mornington peninsula?
mandoz will become famous soon enoughmandoz will become famous soon enough

Thanks- some great answers.

Petensue- I did wonder about this particularly so thanks. Whereabouts in oz are those suburbs if you dont mind me asking

Perhaps I am still (after 5 years) scouting around for a 'good enough' reason to move back.

I do wonder if the class system has something to do with it well though? I mean if you read some of the websites here for mums (not going to mention names) the whole middle class thing is rife. Women are being jumped upon for mispelling and generally taunted as a result.
So yes people wanting to be percieved as middle class and acting with literally seething resentment at those who appear to be just that.

Oh hang on a minute, maybe that's me
Old Oct 9th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Spot on
Old Oct 9th 2010, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Been asked many more times here about the cost of things - how much did your reno cost, how much did your car cost, how much did your house cost etc - and they ask outright as well and then usually go on to tell you how much discount they got when they did their thing down at Dodgy Brothers. People here are very conscious of status and how much you earn - so they may not ask outright how much you earn but, this being a public service town, they sure like to know what level you are on. And don't, whatever you do, drive the kids to school in a beat up old Volvo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.