Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:01 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Do finishing schools still exist?

I used to get the piss taken out of my Mancunian accent in Bristol all the time.. but the guys doing it were not being pretentious, they were just on a wind up job.

I don't think anyone from Bristol has a right to criticise the accents of anybody else!

S
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:04 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I don't think anyone from Bristol has a right to criticise the accents of anybody else!

S
Believe me, that was my comeback as well. It was like having your accent insulted by the Worzels !
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:09 am
Just Joined

MissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Spent 15 years in London, not once did anyone suggest I should try to lose my northern accent and as for going to finishing school, do me a favour ... not suggesting you are making this up but to present this as a normal London experience is just stupid.

Perhaps you were unfortunate in the company you kept because the London you describe is unrecognisable to me. i arrived in London as a 25 years old and I can assure you I wasn't looking to see what everyone else was wearing, you seem to be the one who was doing this..?
That may be so and I admit I did get caught up in it and it isn't a nice trait to have at all but it is certainly not what I was like in Australia. It was keep up in the rat race in London - working in fashion, advertising and media there is a massive emphasis on the way you dress, look and speak.

I did to a degree put a lot of thoughtinto the way I dressed and looked as I felt I was being continously judged in my appearance as I was reguarly at private members bars (for work meetings and events) in places like Shoreditch House, Soho House and Kensington roof gardens.

However, being back now it's a nice exhale to be back to the relaxed nature of the Australian's.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissNyz
That may be so and I admit I did get caught up in it and it isn't a nice trait to have at all but it is certainly not what I was like in Australia. It was keep up in the rat race in London - working in fashion, advertising and media there is a massive emphasis on the way you dress, look and speak.

I did to a degree put a lot of thoughtinto the way I dressed and looked as I felt I was being continously judged in my appearance as I was reguarly at private members bars (for work meetings and events) in places like Shoreditch House, Soho House and Kensington roof gardens.

However, being back now it's a nice exhale to be back to the relaxed nature of the Australian's.
So it wasn't London that was pretentious, it was you.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

It was keep up in the rat race in London - working in fashion, advertising and media there is a massive emphasis on the way you dress, look and speak.
Fashion, media and advertising is about ALL of the above. It's the same world wide, did you expect something different by choosing that industry to work in?

Be thankful that you had the opportunity of working in London, possibly the best place in the world to gain experience in that field.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:29 am
Just Joined

MissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud ofMissNyz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Certainly not. I didn't know the difference of an up market place to a standard place before I moved to London let alone the importance of where you brought your clothes from and being judged on it. Pretentiousness to me is believing that you are above someone else which is something I have never thought. My work has subjected me to being in situations where I have been judged however, I have never judged anyone and have always had the time of day for anyone. My friendship group in London was vast with many from council estates in North London and East London and I never for a second thought that I was above them in fact I spent time living in a council estate in Manor house and not for a second did I have a problem with it I rather enjoyed the keeping it real aspect of it. I did however; think that it was ridiculous that people judged me for it.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Fashion, media and advertising is about ALL of the above. It's the same world wide, did you expect something different by choosing that industry to work in?

Be thankful that you had the opportunity of working in London, possibly the best place in the world to gain experience in that field.
The post was regarding where is more pretentious. I've worked in the industry for 2 and a half years in Melbourne aswell and didn't find it nearly as bad as I did in London. My best friend is from lower east side Manhattan who works in the industry and even she was surprised by the attitudes she was subjected to in London let alone the flack she got for being a yankee!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly not. I didn't know the difference of an up market place to a standard place before I moved to London let alone the importance of where you brought your clothes from and being judged on it. Pretentiousness to me is believing that you are above someone else which is something I have never thought. My work has subjected me to being in situations where I have been judged however, I have never judged anyone and have always had the time of day for anyone. My friendship group in London was vast with many from council estates in North London and East London and I never for a second thought that I was above them in fact I spent time living in a council estate in Manor house and not for a second did I have a problem with it I rather enjoyed the keeping it real aspect of it. I did however; think that it was ridiculous that people judged me for it.
Pretence is not thinking you are above someone. It is the act of pretending to be something/someone you are not.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pretence
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am familiar with fancy restaurants and private members bars and I am also known to some of the most senior financial service leaders globally as I have had some high profile accounting roles. But nobody has ever been interested in what handbag I am carrying, where I am living or how I speak. And I speak with a distinct Mancunian accent.

Occasionally I might get ribbed about my accent to which I would reply along the lines of "you're just jealous cos you haven't learnt to talk proper like what I do". Or some such thing. End of conversation, its just a joke, people will joke wherever you are.

All I get from your posts are that you are somebody who is obsessed with shoes and handbags and appearance. Frankly if somebody judged me on what handbag I am carrying I would consider them to be the complete loser and would not give it another moments thought. I think people that worry about pretentiousness (sp?) are the people that care about not living up to some ideal. I couldn't give a toss. People will accept me the way I am or they are perfectly free to have nothing to do with me. And I have had no issues with people not wanting to associate with me. Perhaps your obsession with shoes and handbags has led you to similar thinking people that unfortunately have "higher" standards.

Thinking of all the people I have met and worked with, I have never once met anyone with a fixation on appearance such as the one you have displayed.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Oct 10th 2010 at 5:13 am.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:56 am
Just Joined

Pretence is not thinking you are above someone. It is the act of pretending to be something/someone you are not.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pretence
From the threads that I have read then perhaps pretentiousness isn't the right word to of been used maybe judgemental would of been more fitting. As asking someone which suburb they live in, how much there house cost, and how much discount they received on a "reno" isn't pretending to be something / someone they are not.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

for frig sake leave the girl (miss nyz)alone the op asked for peoples opinions,she gave her opinion and now shes getting slated personally for it
Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Spent 15 years in London, not once did anyone suggest I should try to lose my northern accent and as for going to finishing school, do me a favour ... not suggesting you are making this up but to present this as a normal London experience is just stupid.

Perhaps you were unfortunate in the company you kept because the London you describe is unrecognisable to me. i arrived in London as a 25 years old and I can assure you I wasn't looking to see what everyone else was wearing, you seem to be the one who was doing this..?
My son has lived in UK for 8 years from his early 20s, 4 of them in London and AFAIK (he certainly never mentioned it and he would have laughed about it if they had) no one ever asked him to moderate his accent, nor did they give a toss about whether his suit was bespoke or not. He did get ribbed when the Aussies lost at cricket but that's about all. I would agree with Bermudashorts, this isnt the London he lived in.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donna
for frig sake leave the girl (miss nyz)alone the op asked for peoples opinions,she gave her opinion and now shes getting slated personally for it
Well if people offered opinions and nobody ever responded it wouldn't make for a very interesting forum. I think Miss NYZ has willingly engaged in a debate, making disparaging remarks about anyone in London, should nobody reply? What's the problem exactly?
Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:08 am
Just Joined

From the threads that I have read then perhaps pretentiousness isn't the right word to of been used maybe judgemental would of been more fitting. As asking someone which suburb they live in, how much there house cost, and how much discount they received on a "reno" isn't pretending to be something / someone they are not.
One of my friends status updates at the moment who's based in central London : enjoying watching people strutting about determinedly in A/W clothes, scarfs and furry coats when its 20 degrees and sunny...on Friday - Now surely people not dressing appropriately for the weather as they are wanting to show off their new clothes is pretentious!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic

I believe that overall, pretence is not the issue - it's just crassness or silliness over money. After all, there are people who think that anyone with a higher education or who does not use their hands for a living must be in some way pretentious.

Working in fashion and media is not so much pretense = just a way of life. It's like the dance industry.

And getting caught up in it can be fun - I'm sure that Miss had a good time nonetheless. Also there is a quite a difference between being 20 and 25, and being in a new country let alone another city.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.