Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Old Oct 9th 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Originally Posted by quoll
Been asked many more times here about the cost of things - how much did your reno cost, how much did your car cost, how much did your house cost etc - and they ask outright as well and then usually go on to tell you how much discount they got when they did their thing down at Dodgy Brothers. People here are very conscious of status and how much you earn - so they may not ask outright how much you earn but, this being a public service town, they sure like to know what level you are on. And don't, whatever you do, drive the kids to school in a beat up old Volvo!
Canberra's a special case where most people work in the hierarchical public service and people will know how much you earn by your APS, EL or SES level - e.g. an EL1 makes $85K to $95K and an EL2 makes $95K to $115K etc. However, the big giveaway is telling someone which suburb you live in, whether you rent or own your own home and, if so, which year you bought your house. If you bought a decent house in one of the inner city suburbs before 2001 then they will know that your house would have almost tripled in value. Some people who missed out on the housing boom feel justifiably frustrated and envious. In my experience the kind of cars people drive or the way they dress doesn't mean anything.

I do find people are status conscious in that they like comparing themselves with others and this is accentuated by the homogenous nature of Canberra. However, there isn't a lot of snobbery. When I lived in the UK - admittedly a long time ago - there was real and entrenched snobbery.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

UK definitely.

I've yet to have a discussion on house prices here (outside of this forum). No one has ever asked how much our house cost, how close it is to a school, what sort of car I drive, etc...

People occasionally ask what I do but that's standard small talk.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Oct 9th 2010 at 9:02 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Been asked many more times here about the cost of things - how much did your reno cost, how much did your car cost, how much did your house cost etc - and they ask outright as well and then usually go on to tell you how much discount they got when they did their thing down at Dodgy Brothers. People here are very conscious of status and how much you earn - so they may not ask outright how much you earn but, this being a public service town, they sure like to know what level you are on. And don't, whatever you do, drive the kids to school in a beat up old Volvo!

Seriously, thats why I love the Inner North of Melbourne, it's almost like a contest that he who drives the daggiest car wins. The only people that go in for car oneupmanship around here are the young ethnic blokes.

I think Grayling needs to see a shrink

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 9th 2010 at 10:41 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I have actually experienced pretentious people in both countries.

The pretentious ones I met here all live in Mawson Lakes (which is very much a predominately Pommie Area), although there are quite a lot of other nationalities with the same kind of 'I'm better than you' attitude living there, including Aussies.

Since I moved to where I am now I have met no-one like that. Maybe that comes with the fact I live in a 'poorer' suburb though, they don't have anything to brag about
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have been asked where I live and what does my husband do in both places and as far as I can tell it has been out of interest or making conversation, not to assess my social status.

I have probably been asked where I live more times in the last three months since I moved to Australia than I have been in the entire previous 15 years, mainly by my colleagues, but I am a new immigrant, they all know this and I think are just trying to find something out about me so they can offer advice.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:08 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I'm too busy reading Kerouac to venture an opinion on such a pointless question, my time is far too valuable.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy

Yep OZ has them too.

Aussie Private school parents who make their kids wear the hideous checked ankle dresses at 8pm and saturday are rfie in OZ, Ohh look at us we can pay the fees.

Upmarket melb and sydney suburbs are full of oneupmanship, melb suburbs have some very snotty women, if MIL's dames were anything to go by

Noosa, where the price of your european loo ( erm so what ) says everything about the owner.

The aussie BBQ obsession with how much property you have and what its worth.

However in bogon suburbs its just the size of your plasma, or family bonus.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
You obviously never went to one in SE England in the '90s or '00s. People there are truly obsessed with house prices - although this may have changed in the last few years considering the market there is f**ked.

How many Aussie property TV programmes are there? A few.
How many UK property TV programmes are there? Shitloads.

Last edited by Amazulu; Oct 10th 2010 at 12:59 am.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

And don't, whatever you do, drive the kids to school in a beat up old Volvo!
Eh? We would

Originally Posted by Budawang
Canberra's a special case where most people work in the hierarchical public service and people will know how much you earn by your APS, EL or SES level - e.g. an EL1 makes $85K to $95K and an EL2 makes $95K to $115K etc. However, the big giveaway is telling someone which suburb you live in, whether you rent or own your own home and, if so, which year you bought your house. If you bought a decent house in one of the inner city suburbs before 2001 then they will know that your house would have almost tripled in value. Some people who missed out on the housing boom feel justifiably frustrated and envious. In my experience the kind of cars people drive or the way they dress doesn't mean anything.

I do find people are status conscious in that they like comparing themselves with others and this is accentuated by the homogenous nature of Canberra. However, there isn't a lot of snobbery. When I lived in the UK - admittedly a long time ago - there was real and entrenched snobbery.
That's the problem with the public sector.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yep OZ has them too.

Upmarket melb and sydney suburbs are full of oneupmanship, melb suburbs have some very snotty women, if MIL's dames were anything to go by

But Jad, how on earth can you hear what they are saying above all the noise of machinery?

Depends on what you mean by snotty peple. I've met some very focused people in Melbourne but they are not pretentious - they just know what they are doing which is far more interesting than the wringing of hands.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You obviously never went to one in SE England in the '90s or '00s. People there are truly obsessed with house prices - although this may have changed in the last few years considering the market there is f**ked.

How many Aussie property TV programmes are there? A few.
How many UK property TV programmes are there? Shitloads.
As I said before - they still have them - 'Escape to the Country'....full of plebs discussing 'aspect' and 'space'. I wouldn't mind people discussing house prices and design if they actually knew what they were talking about. The family we know with the daggy cars actually know a lot about design - and it shows! - but they keep a lid on how many investment properties they have.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I'm too busy reading Kerouac to venture an opinion on such a pointless question, my time is far too valuable.

That made me laugh so much I almost spat my Kopi Luwak over the keyboard.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy

The pretentious ones I met here all live in Mawson Lakes (which is very much a predominately Pommie Area), although there are quite a lot of other nationalities with the same kind of 'I'm better than you' attitude living there, including Aussies.

Since I moved to where I am now I have met no-one like that. Maybe that comes with the fact I live in a 'poorer' suburb though, they don't have anything to brag about
I get the impression from TV programmes that Adelaide has more snobbery than other parts of Aus.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:24 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
In my experience people are far more pretentious and obsessed with money and property in Australia than they are in the UK.
my experience also, lol, i came from a small , poor town in scotland, and people were impressed if you had a part-time job in tesco, now its all about the money, school, investemennt property, stocks and shares, its a completely different world in which i came from
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
If you bought a decent house in one of the inner city suburbs before 2001 then they will know that your house would have almost tripled in value. Some people who missed out on the housing boom feel justifiably frustrated and envious. In my experience the kind of cars people drive or the way they dress doesn't mean anything.

Yup, Ainslie is now prime real estate thank goodness it was considered borderline bogan when we moved here.

I guess we shouldnt also drive a 32 year old volvo - people do care about such stuff and so did the kids when they were younger (and so was the car of course!)

Some of the people I used to work with were the most awful snobs: name dropping, telling you of every overseas trip, who they had to dinner parties, how much they got their latest xyz for, how much their new aircon cost etc, never bloody ending - not the current lot of work colleagues (charity) although one needs a smack in the face with a wet herring!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
my experience also, lol, i came from a small , poor town in scotland, and people were impressed if you had a part-time job in tesco, now its all about the money, school, investemennt property, stocks and shares, its a completely different world in which i came from
But that is more a demographic and a move from a poor village to the bright lights of the city. My general view is that one man's pretense is just that -to a man lacking worldliness or exposure.

Pretense is more an issue of flaunting what you have when you don't know much about anything else.

Displays of interest in material goods, trips et cetera are all well and good if they are backed up with knowledge and interest and an interest in people and other things, and I daresay, consideration and taste.... perhaps that person with the Swedish washing machine is very kind, too.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I get the impression from TV programmes that Adelaide has more snobbery than other parts of Aus.
Couldn't tell you. I've never been anywhere else to compare

I think the worst person I know who is pretentious, is actually my cousin! She always has to buy the bigger car, or the better caravan, or go on the more expensive holiday (and yes she has a big house in Mawson Lakes)

Me being the type that really couldn't give a toss, just thinks it's pretty pathetic

I do quite like where I live now, the people are very down to earth and couldn't give a toss what you have and don't have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.