Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

Old Oct 11th 2010, 4:59 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk vs Australia which is more pretentious?

In Australia no-one cares what you do to earn a crust, or where you live. There are only two or three big social divisions
      And (if the answer to the previous question is AFL)
        Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:48 am
        Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
        In Australia no-one cares what you do to earn a crust, or where you live. There are only two or three big social divisions
            And (if the answer to the previous question is AFL)
              You obivously live in a bogan dreamland. In Australia no-one cares what you do to earn a crust, or where you live. You're kidding right? that's all people ask or care about in this country.
              Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:03 am
              BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
              I get the impression from TV programmes that Adelaide has more snobbery than other parts of Aus.
              That's cos Adelaide is so British...There is a more common arrogance about living in Adelaide whereby most natives are convinced it is the best place in the world to live. You rarely get that in the UK these days. Maybe it's pretentious but I like living somewhere where those around me feel (misguidedly sometimes) happy about their lot. Will soon be able to compare them with Queenslanders, so broader geographical appraisal possible in 2011..
              Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:04 am
              BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Weebie
              You obivously live in a bogan dreamland. In Australia no-one cares what you do to earn a crust, or where you live. You're kidding right? that's all people ask or care about in this country.
              we have been here 6 years and really havent found that,the people we mix with dont give a stuff about superfical stuff like that.
              Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:06 am
              BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seabird
              That's cos Adelaide is so British...There is a more common arrogance about living in Adelaide whereby most natives are convinced it is the best place in the world to live. You rarely get that in the UK these days. Maybe it's pretentious but I like living somewhere where those around me feel (misguidedly sometimes) happy about their lot. Will soon be able to compare them with Queenslanders, so broader geographical appraisal possible in 2011..
              Who in their right mind would be arrogant about living in Adelaide, its the butt of so many jokes Australia wide.
              Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:11 am
              Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by donna
              we have been here 6 years and really havent found that,the people we mix with dont give a stuff about superfical stuff like that.
              Fair enough but if you want to do soemthing in this country have a decent career maybe live in a nice neighbourhood it's very improtant here. Not everyone wants to live in some outer suburb shithole surrounded by bogans.
              Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:32 am
              Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough but if you want to do soemthing in this country have a decent career maybe live in a nice neighbourhood it's very improtant here. Not everyone wants to live in some outer suburb shithole surrounded by bogans.
              LOL....Oh the ironing.
              Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:48 am
              BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

WT!
              Am i missing something here?
              Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:50 am
              Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
              LOL....Oh the ironing.
              Stop being scaredastic
              Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:12 am
              BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ozzieeagle;8907856]Seriously, thats why I love the Inner North of Melbourne, it's almost like a contest that he who drives the daggiest car wins. The only people that go in for car oneupmanship around here are the young ethnic blokes.

Those inner city trendies are the most pretentious people in Melbourne, its just so funny looking at them trying to be so right on, drinking in there shabby chic cafes with old secondhand furniture, but the prices are the equal of anything in the city or an establishment that spends a lot on its interior design.

Inner city Melbourne is just as pretentious as anything i came across in London.
              I find people are way more fixated on house prices, when i first arrived 3 years ago it was one of the first immpresions i got, it was like London in the eighties.
              Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:16 am
              Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
              Those inner city trendies are the most pretentious people in Melbourne, its just so funny looking at them trying to be so right on, drinking in there shabby chic cafes with old secondhand furniture, but the prices are the equal of anything in the city or an establishment that spends a lot on its interior design.

Inner city Melbourne is just as pretentious as anything i came across in London.
              I find people are way more fixated on house prices, when i first arrived 3 years ago it was one of the first immpresions i got, it was like London in the eighties.
              I have to say, there's masses of truth in all of that!
              Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:19 am
              Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

And a good job too, I like my space!
              Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:19 am
              BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

That made me laugh so much I almost spat my Kopi Luwak over the keyboard.
              Another great Melbourne pretentious topic of conversation, Coffee

Kopi Luwak is the ultimate in coffee one upmanship, and i have 2 packets in the fridge for when guests come over :-)
              Old Oct 11th 2010, 9:12 am
              Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Kopi Luwak is the ultimate in coffee one upmanship, and i have 2 packets in the fridge for when guests come over :-)
              Oh - I thought it was a Kiwi opera singer, or 7s player..
              Old Oct 11th 2010, 9:13 am
              Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

and does it taste like it looks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.